You are here

Question about mastering

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Question about mastering

Postby sepp21 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:50 pm

Hello, I would like to ask about something that has been bothering me for weeks.
As first, sorry for my English, i am not from the state, where's main language English and i couldn't find any type of music forums in my language.

So, what's my problem? I tried to record something some phrases, so i can cut them and mix into "song". (but its not important i guess). The problem is that whenever i try to record anything, my microphone starts to making my sound like "super equalized" or just like if i put in noise reduction on max. I tried to find help with this on internet for a weeks, and nobody has same "problem", or i am just so paranoid. Its just like whenever i say "e,a,i,o,etc." letters, my sound changes into "halfrobot". I tried to fix it by myself in FL Studio and Audition, but i couldn't find anything.
I am using Rode NT USB.

example of my sound (didn't find anything else to upload on):
https://youtu.be/BBofb063IeI

it's the same like this guy has too:
https://youtu.be/g-oWBqL27uI?t=43s

And i would like to have sound like this, just not that "robotic" prone on whenever i say these a,e,i,o,etc. letters:
https://youtu.be/EJeGuYhpbak?t=41s

And i know, that this guy is using same microphone, he's recording at home too, but he doesn't have these issues.

I am maybe just much paranoid, but i tried too many mixing tutorials and nothing could help me.

If you would know how to "mix it" to clean and normal sound, reply here, thanks.
sepp21

Re: Question about mastering

Postby CS70 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:32 pm

Hi.

Is the DAW project completely clean? Is it not that maybe you're using a template that contains some equalization?

Which operating systems? Is it Windows 10?

Can't listen yet, but if your chain is directly the Røde NT2 to a clean DAW via USB, you are plugging in directly into Windows sound system. Which is fine, but can it be effects on it? Have you checked the Windows Sound Settings?
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby mammy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:55 pm

answer is simple : use quality plugins.
mammy
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:03 pm

The main issue that I hear is too much room sound. Are you speaking into the correct side of the microphone (usually the side with the manufacturer's badge on it)? How close are you to the microphone? Do you have any acoustic treatment in your room?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Tim Gillett » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:31 am

I hear the same as James. You need to capture a clean, direct voice sound.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby sepp21 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:13 am

CS70 wrote:Is the DAW project completely clean? Is it not that maybe you're using a template that contains some equalization?
Whenever i am trying to record, i am using clean templates, like the default one.

CS70 wrote:Which operating systems? Is it Windows 10?
Yes it is Windows 10.

CS70 wrote:Can't listen yet, but if your chain is directly the Røde NT2 to a clean DAW via USB, you are plugging in directly into Windows sound system. Which is fine, but can it be effects on it? Have you checked the Windows Sound Settings?
I checked my Windows sound settings and i do not have any other enchantments turned on.

James Perrett wrote:The main issue that I hear is too much room sound. Are you speaking into the correct side of the microphone (usually the side with the manufacturer's badge on it)?
Yes i am speaking to the correct side of microphone, the front one, where's of it on.

James Perrett wrote:How close are you to the microphone? Do you have any acoustic treatment in your room?
I am like 8-10cm away from him and i have set 60% volume on him. I am recording in a small room, where i do have some furniture and a few acoustic foams.

And i realized, that when i speak little calmer and less louder then its more clean and bassed, so it doesn't making the sound, like if i used "many noise reduction".
sepp21