You are here

Drum panning

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Drum panning

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:36 pm

Danny_79 wrote:You're right. When i'm at concerts, i can't localize the individual drums. They sound quite mono to me. Perhaps that depends on how close to the stage you are tho.

Many live PA rigs are run in (dual) mono simply because the stereo image, if there, would only be audible those in the the audience seated in the middle of the auditorium. Those seated to the right would not hear things panned to the left and visa versa. And yes, even if the rig is running stereo, and you have seats in the central part of the venue, the stereo spread will be much wider close to the stage and will more or less disappear long before you reach the cheap seats.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby DC-Choppah » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:35 am

Balance Shmalance

Just make it sound good and engaging and fun.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:44 am

MOF wrote:I was talking about the basic drum instruments Hugh, it was the "all real-world rules go out of the window" bit I was referring to, e.g. an electronic bass drum on the right, snare drum on the left and a hi-hat in the centre would be somewhat disconcerting to most listeners, what Sir Humphrey Appleby would have said was a "brave decision". :)

I totally agree with you MOF.

When I made the comment that "all real-world rules go out of the window" with electronic drum sounds I wasn't advocating such radical panning as kick left, snare right and hi-hat centre.

Although who's to say whether or not this tactic might not work in the occasional project, it does make sense to stick mainly with generally centralised kick, snare and hi-hat (I normally pan those three slightly apart, but essentially they all remain in the central area).

However, I may on occasion use wide ping-pong delays to punctuate a few snare patterns, while other percussion sounds might be full-width stereo, or mono but auto-panned by level or with tempo-synced movement.

That's the sort of thing I was referring to by "all real-world rules go out of the window".

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby blinddrew » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:12 pm

For what it's worth, I do this all wrong. I don't like my drums panned fully L-R, they sound unnatural to me if I've got my front-to-back spacing right. Likewise I pan them from the audience perspective because it seems really odd to go to the effort of creating a credible soundstage for a band only then to position the drummer at the back facing away from you...

I accept that this is my hobby horse though and not many people wish to join me on it. ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:52 pm

so what do you do if your drummer plays a left handed kit?

To not consider this must be some form of discrimination these days . . . . . :think:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby MOF » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:49 am

so what do you do if your drummer plays a left handed kit?

To not consider this must be some form of discrimination these days . . . . . :think:

You excuse your bias by saying you mixed from the audience’s perspective. ;)
MOF
Regular

Postby Wonks » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:56 am

ManFromGlass wrote:so what do you do if your drummer plays a left handed kit?

There is no such thing. A drum kit arranged for a left-handed drummer, yes, but no specific left-handed kit in the same sense that you have left-handed guitars.

Can I sell you some very expensive left-handed drum sticks? ;)
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby blinddrew » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:00 am

Wonks wrote:Can I sell you some very expensive left-handed drum sticks? ;)
That's not expensive, you wait 'til you see what I'm charging for my left-handed microphones and cables... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:24 am

Left handed cables are easy to DIY, just take the plugs off and resolder them onto the opposite ends of the cable. :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:43 am

Thanks for destroying my business model Mr Spoons. Next you'll be saying that people don't need left-handed monitors and they can just swap them over. :headbang:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:27 pm

No monitors are always handed, if you swap them over your head would get in the way of the sound from each speaker getting to the correct ear (and you do use a left handed cable on the left speaker don't you?) :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:46 pm

Left handed drumsticks? It’s about time. I can store them with my left handed chop sticks!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous