You are here

Is this track any good?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Is this track any good?

Postby Kinh » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:20 pm

I spent more time on this song than any I've ever done and now I dont know if it's worth including on the album. It may be cause I've heard it back a million times which is why I'd appreciate your opinion on whether it's any good. The mix, the master, the arrangement and song itself. Personally I dont like the master and I think there's probably too much bass in the mix.
https://soundcloud.com/matthewcrowe/live-a-lie/s-jWgvS
Kinh
Regular

Re: Is this track any good?

Postby James Perrett » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:30 pm

I had a quick listen and it sounded good to me. The voice is great. I liked the vocoder effects and there's certainly not too much bass to my ears.

Now I'm well out of touch with modern pop and I haven't done any DJing for over 20 years but I'm thinking that, while it makes an album track as it is, there is more potential there. My feeling is that it stops and starts a bit too much and, when it does get going, it sounds a bit refined. It feels almost like an NS10 mix where the high midrange has been cut a little too much. It might be worth having a go at a mix with a bit more rhythm in there - just to see where it goes.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Folderol » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:33 pm

Well in my (non expert) opinion, this is pretty good. Listening on mid-fi speakers, the singer seems well placed seeming to be in front of the backing. There are some nice variations through the track. The only very minor criticism I'd make is the really abrupt start.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby awjoe » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:15 pm

I'd have to hear the other tunes on the album to relativize the answer to 'is it any good'? I liked the sound and the singing and the arrangement. The song itself didn't stand out particularly. But I have a question about the mix. I had the earbuds in when I listened to this one. I thought you nailed the EQ and space, but my question is about the dynamics. I understand that loudness is exciting and that when levels go up in a chorus, that's one way to achieve it, but are the vocals a tad loud in the chorus?
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Fringe member of the Party Pooper People's Party

Postby The Bunk » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:02 pm

As regards the genre, it's not really my thing, nor one that I have any great knowledge / expertise in when it comes to offering advice but, comparing it to what I might hear on the radio, it's certainly there or thereabouts. However I'd echo what James has said about the structure. Just a bit too much stop/start for me. Unpredictability / variation / dynamics etc all have their place but only up to a point IMO, and there's just a tad too much in this - there's around 4 distinct changes by 1 min 20. But for me it's by no means "not good".
The Bunk
Frequent Poster
2 answers; 799 questions and about 58 "Mornington Crescent" posts.

Postby awjoe » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:19 pm

The Bunk wrote: But for me it's by no means "not good".

If that's finally how I feel about a tune, I pull it. Then I rework it. Sometimes I can salvage something, and occasionally it takes it to a new level. But that 'it's by no means not good' thing and sometimes 'it's respectably good enough' - these days, those are flags for me. That's my reaction to that expression you used, and not a comment on the tune in this thread.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby BJG145 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:56 pm

First listen...
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby BJG145 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:01 pm

...second listen.

Sounds great. And, yes, definitely include it.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Tim Gillett » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:03 am

I like the upfront vocal but for me it sounds strangely processed, as if it's been EQed with prominent peaks and notches. It doesn't sound like her real voice. Is it meant to sound this way?
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby awjoe » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:39 am

Tim Gillett wrote:I like the upfront vocal but for me it sounds strangely processed, as if it's been EQed with prominent peaks and notches. It doesn't sound like her real voice. Is it meant to sound this way?

The second time I listened was through the studio monitors, and it sounded way better. And I think you may be right about the processing, because I thought it was a guy singing.

Which is also why I think the mixer listened to this through studio monitors more times than he/she/they listened through earbuds. It's a keeper.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:12 am

Just had a quick listen on headphones and I think the only thing that i'd be tempted to tweak is the length of some of the bridges - there are a couple in the first half of the song that i would halve.
They're nice enough passages but they take away some of the song's momentum - which you need to maintain through the different sections.
Just my 2c though.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Kinh » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:27 am

blinddrew wrote:Just had a quick listen on headphones and I think the only thing that i'd be tempted to tweak is the length of some of the bridges - there are a couple in the first half of the song that i would halve.
They're nice enough passages but they take away some of the song's momentum - which you need to maintain through the different sections.
Just my 2c though.
I see what you mean. Others are kinda implying the same thing too...annoying start/stop theme. It's pretty unorthodox turning an 8 bar build to a 4 but this track is different in that the chorus precedes the build and drop so technically Id be able to get away with it. I dont know why I didn't think of that myself. Thanks. Just means I gotta spend more $$$ getting it mastered again.
Kinh
Regular

Postby Kinh » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:13 pm

Actually I just realized doing the above doesn't work. The structure has to be as is.
So to sum up what you're all saying is the only major problem is the start stop thing in the verse. Apart from that, everything else OK, right?
Kinh
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:05 pm

Not that my opinion should count for anything but I have no problem with the start stop nature of the verse. I find it a nice variation.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:13 pm

Hi Kinh,

Well having just had my first listen through studio monitors, I would echo what a lot of the others have said. I like the sound of this a lot (including the vocals, despite them having a bit of a 'telephone processed' sound). The bass sounds fairly well balanced to me, although I suspect you could increase low-end punch of the drums a little for more impact.

I'm also fine with the structure of the song, even including the abrupt start - I'm sure I read somewhere that if a track hasn't grabbed the casual listener within six seconds then you've lost a lot of them :o

The only thing I'd change is to add a little more 'ear candy' in a few places - percussive sounds that leap out of the mix, perhaps on the left/right extremes, to add more immediate interest. But that's just me ;)

Martin
Martin Walker