You are here

Why Do So Few Limiters Have LUFS Metering?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Why Do So Few Limiters Have LUFS Metering?

Postby ITHertz » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:48 am

Hi Folks,

With so much of today's mastering aimed at streaming platforms I'm curious as to why so few limiters have LUFS metering? Seems a no-brainer to me. I know there are lots of separate LUFS meters available, some free, but why not include this feature in the limiter?

I have six limiters: Newfangled Elevate, bx_XL V2, Flux Pure Limiter V3, TB Barricade v4, Mundt LoudMax, and D16 Frontier. Of these only Barricade has LUFS metering (but it lacks level matching so I don't use it much).

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Chris
ITHertz
Regular

Re: Why Do So Few Limiters Have LUFS Metering?

Postby Wonks » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:33 am

Mainly because the operation of a limiter needs to be very fast acting indeed (a few ms), and LUFS, even at its 'instantaneous' time value reading, is several hundred ms.

So the fundamental operation of a limiter is far too fast to make a LUFS meter an essential part of its operation. If it has one, it is simply tacked on, so you may as well have a separate meter. The LUFS part has to be after the limiter, so it is no use for showing you how the limiter is actually operating.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:29 am

A limiter is about peak control, whereas LUFS metering is about long-term perceived loudness... the two aren't really directly related.

It would, however, make sense to have True-Peak metering on limiters... and perhaps that's what you were thinking of. Some do, of course... and oversampling limiters will tend towards true-peak working anyway.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Dave B » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:21 pm

(Cough cough) fabfilter L2 (cough cough)

:bouncy:
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)