You are here

Review my mix

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Review my mix

Postby cocos » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:30 pm

Hey,

I'm new to this forum. Do people post things like looking for second ears to a mix etc.? If it's inappropriate I'll just have this one deleted.

I'm new to the producing scene and making music. I use Logic Pro and feel like I don't really get the professional sound out of my mixes / masters. I have Apollo Twin as an interface and use multiple plugins during the process (Soundtoys, Fabfilter, Native Instrument etc.)

Still, I find my mixes sounding muddy although there are all the things I wanna hear in them.

If you wanna take a listen and leave comment for this track called Fløya, I appreciate it a lot.

https://soundcloud.com/user-506569815/floya

Greetings from Finland,
Konsta
cocos

Re: Review my mix

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:01 pm

Mixing is not my area of expertise, I'm a (retired) live sound guy. But this is the mixing forum so you'll get some constructive advice shortly.

Meanwhile, welcome to the forum :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:19 am

cocos wrote:I'm new to the producing scene and making music. I use Logic Pro and feel like I don't really get the professional sound out of my mixes / masters. I have Apollo Twin as an interface and use multiple plugins during the process (Soundtoys, Fabfilter, Native Instrument etc.)

Still, I find my mixes sounding muddy although there are all the things I wanna hear in them.

Hi Konstal!

I listened to the track, but it's so off from what I generally listen to that I really have not much to say. Didn't sound terribly muddy to me, even if of course now that you mention it, it can certainly be made less muddy if you want that.

If you aren't satisfied, what are you comparing it to?

I mention it only because you say you're new to the craft: there is no "professional sound".. it's a myth. At most, if you have commercial intentions, there's sales/streams.. and a good mix (or lack thereof) is a very small part of that.

Given a track to three engineers, you'll get three different mixes. Which one's right? The only objective meter is sales, and it's not a great one. Or a poll. :D

90% of the mix sound is your artistic choice. Sure there are rules of thumb (say, no more than 3 parts having the spotlight at any given time, difference in level between choruses and verses, introducing breaks and drops and ear candy to keep the listener interested and so on) but that's what they are - guidelines.

There are also methods to get to a sonic result that you want, but the first thing is to develop the ability to identify and describe what is that you want, or it's lacking , or, by exclusion, what is that there's too much of in a mix.

In your case, if you think that tubbiness is an issue, you could try and automate EQ so that most of the sounds lose a bit of midrange fat once the song gets going. For example the initial sound can certainly do, once the rest is introduced.

Panning helps, and that different sound occupy specific registers (say play a guitar high up in the neck so it doesnt clash with the vocals) and that you make clear choice in any point of the song on what sound wins (say, guitar or vocals?) . Mute stuff. If it's there, there should be space of it to be heard, otherwise remove it. Oftentimes you EQ away most of a sound because just a hint of it is enough to suggest to the listener's brain that it's there.. even if it's not - so you can get your cake and eat it too.

But if any of that is useful or necessary depends from what you want - and what you like.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:04 pm

Hi Konsta, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

Just had a listen to Fløya three or four times. I really enjoyed it, and I didn't find your mix at all muddy.

These thoughts occurred to me:

1. The way you cut off the end of the initial piano loop makes it sounds slightly stilted but I nevertheless liked it and found it quirky, especially after a few listens.

2. The kick drum is very powerful yet to my ears slightly too loud. It's got lots of punch, and I'm not personally too keen on the way it makes the remainder of the mix 'pump' in time with it. That might just be a personal thing though.

3. The deep 'sub' drone bass that starts at 0:53 sounds wonderful on my main studio loudspeakers, but is virtually inaudible in small loudspeakers - you might want to add a little more upper harmonics to the sound so it cuts through on a wider variety of playback systems.

However, I'm still listening after four times through, so this is still a winner in my book!

Bravo! :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Elf » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:58 pm

:clap:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby blinddrew » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:44 pm

Don't have my proper system set up at the moment so just listening on headphones and laptop but there's nothing there that I'd consider muddy. I do agree with Martin about the effect of the heavy kick and the (to me) excessive pumping, but that's purely a matter of taste.
From an arrangement perspective I was looking for something a bit different to happen around the 2 minute mark, but that's a different conversation. :)

P.S. I love that little stutter on the piano intro. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:24 pm

I kinda liked it.
ReadySaltedChris
Regular
www.chrissaltmusic.com