You are here

Best Budget monitors? ADAM?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Best Budget monitors? ADAM?

Postby james090 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:48 pm

The time has come for me to get some monitors to mix on, as I only have a small set up and recently moved home and to a new room.

The room is untreated, but currently use Headphones which isn't always ideal.

Previously I did have a pair of original ADAM A7's and thought these were superb but had to sell quite a bit as i downsized and moved, hoping to get something similar later.

I produce dance music and occasiinally TV / Orchestral Music so would need a bit of everything really.

How do the newer ADAM T5v monitors work out? These look perfect to me, as I loved my last ADAM's, but see these are being marketed as DJ monitors? so would these be as good for Orchestral style mock ups etc?

Thanks for any advice!
james090
Regular

Re: Best Budget monitors? ADAM?

Postby John Willett » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:09 pm

What's the budget?

On a tight budget my "go to" monitors would be the Neumann KH 120.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby ef37a » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:15 pm

John Willett wrote:What's the budget?

Interesting John? On another forum I was rather castigated for suggesting that accurate monitors really only start at $/£ 1000 the pair.

I now feel somewhat vindicated.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:29 pm

And you'll probably need so room treatment as soon as you move to speakers.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:55 pm

At that price point they're definitely worth a listen, probably worth looking at the Kali audio stuff as well.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:57 pm

The Adams mentioned are £250 for a pair so the Neumanns are probably way out of the budget. On that kind of budget I'd be looking for something used - there are bargains out there if you look carefully.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Ramirez » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:18 pm

With the caveat that I’ve never heard them (but use KH120 regularly) - is the Neumann KH80 worth a look?
A fair chunker cheaper (and a bit smaller) than the KH120.
When/if I ever replace my ae22 I’d be looking at them.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:32 pm

ef37a wrote:On another forum I was rather castigated for suggesting that accurate monitors really only start at $/£ 1000 the pair.

Maybe a little lower these days... there's some pretty decent stuff around now at the £750 mark, actually -- including the KH80s I think... and yes, they are definitely worth a listen if the budget can reach them. Slightly different presentation to the KH120s because of the linear-phase DSP malarky, but definitely on a par quality-wise.

But if we're talking genuine, well-made, accurate, professional standard 'monitors' worthy of the name then the serious stuff starts at around £1k, and by £3k it's really very good indeed.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:33 pm

Ramirez wrote:When/if I ever replace my ae22 I’d be looking at them.
I hope I never reach that place. The AE22s are easily the best speakers I've owned.

If you could pick up a decent secondhand pair of those you'd be doing yourself a favour.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Logarhythm » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:21 pm

+1 for the AE22s - extremely happy with mine, following recommendations here. Paid comfortably under £250 for the pair, too.
Don't see many of them for sale but there are a couple of sets of the active version on eBay at the moment, although possibly with rather optimistic asking prices ;)
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby John Willett » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:50 pm

ef37a wrote:
John Willett wrote:What's the budget?

Interesting John? On another forum I was rather castigated for suggesting that accurate monitors really only start at $/£ 1000 the pair.

I now feel somewhat vindicated.

Dave.

You are right - the same feeling as me.

You can get reasonable loudspeakers cheaper, but good monitors do cost money and are well worth the investment.

My first decent monitors were the Harbeth Monitor 30 Actives (now for sale if anyone is interested) and a pair of K+H O110D for location work (also now for sale). I was very happy with these - I think the O110D were just under £2k and the Harbeths about £2.5k.

I did compare the O110D with the KH120 and found them very close and pretty equal.

But I then upgraded to the MEG RL906 for location and now (in the last few days) have the RL934K for the main set - all nearfields as I don't sit that far away.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby blinddrew » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:00 pm

For what it's worth I've recently got a pair of KH80s and they are a clear step up from the previous HiFi speaker and amp combo I was using. They were (well, still are) good speakers, Dynaudios, and it was a decent Musical Fidelity amp, but going to a proper set of monitors was a huge improvement.

None of which helps the OP of course. :)

Second hand is good if you can find something and know enough about what to look for, but if you do go for new the Adams are certainly going to be in the ball park for that price range.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:48 am

My problem with budget (and to some extent second hand) monitors is that if you have never had or heard really top end speakers you have no reference point?

I chose Tannoy Reveal 5As some years ago on the basis of a "shootout" (not SOS) my logic being that the reviewers had had vastly more experience than I and had access to far better sources and other, state of art, monitors to compare. The Tannoys came out well and in my then budget. I was also swayed by the fact that Tannoy had been making speakers longer than I had been alive and should know a thing or three AND they do not make every other electronic gimmcrack on the market.

My other reservation is QC? A review sample might be touted as a £199 "giant killer" but is that quality maintained sample to sample?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Zukan » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:32 am

James Perrett wrote:The Adams mentioned are £250 for a pair so the Neumanns are probably way out of the budget. On that kind of budget I'd be looking for something used - there are bargains out there if you look carefully.

I'm with James here, used will serve you better.

Have you considered using headphones and a cheap box for stereo imaging?
Zukan

Postby james090 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:34 am

Thanks for all your replies.

I've decided as a previous ADAM's user to go for the T7v's which look great, and lots of positive reviews. :)
james090
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:11 am

james090 wrote:Thanks for all your replies.

I've decided as a previous ADAM's user to go for the T7v's which look great, and lots of positive reviews. :)

Sorry to rock the boat, but have you heard the Presonus Eris range, these stood out for me when I was looking, also, KRK, these two seemed to have the most acceptable tonal balance, I did listen to a lot at the time.
But monitors are so personal, and if you're happy with the ADAM sound then go for it.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:12 am

ef37a wrote:My other reservation is QC? A review sample might be touted as a £199 "giant killer" but is that quality maintained sample to sample?

On the other hand, you must offset that against the fact that the review sample may have been bounced around the country via a host of indifferent couriers before it got to a particular magazine.

On the other, other hand if you believe in 'playing in' loudspeakers, the review model might sound more at ease than models straight out of the factory.

On the...

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ef37a » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:09 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
ef37a wrote:My other reservation is QC? A review sample might be touted as a £199 "giant killer" but is that quality maintained sample to sample?

On the other hand, you must offset that against the fact that the review sample may have been bounced around the country via a host of indifferent couriers before it got to a particular magazine.

On the other, other hand if you believe in 'playing in' loudspeakers, the review model might sound more at ease than models straight out of the factory.

On the...

Martin

Thank you Martin for that incisive response! I have been told that speaker cones are notoriously difficult to make in a consistent way. I think it was the Kef R105 which had serial numbers on the drivers and should a replacement be needed a match could be found from a database?

Cannot see such intense QC being lavished on speakers at £99.0 a pop.

The "burning in/wearing out scenario is a can of worms opened FAR to often! I shall remain shtumn.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:01 pm

ef37a wrote:The "burning in/wearing out scenario is a can of worms opened FAR to often! I shall remain shtumn.

Dave.
I'd rather discuss brexit! :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby John Willett » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:19 pm

blinddrew wrote:
ef37a wrote:The "burning in/wearing out scenario is a can of worms opened FAR to often! I shall remain shtumn.

Dave.
I'd rather discuss brexit! :D

:bouncy:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services

Next