You are here

Best Budget monitors? ADAM?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Best Budget monitors? ADAM?

Postby blinddrew » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:47 pm

hence the 'very' in my post ;)
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 14304
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Best Budget monitors? ADAM?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:49 pm

:lol: hmmm. Okay... Not sure very high end phones would make much real difference in assessing the low end over K702s... But it is an option, I agree.
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 30773
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Re: Best Budget monitors? ADAM?

Postby richbondmusic » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:36 pm

Thank you so much for your thoughts Hugh, and Blindrew - I really appreciate the support.

Yes, everything you have said makes sense, and I think the Genelec Sub sounds like the best bet. Unfortunately the 7040a doesn't have a footswitch to turn the sub on and off, so it is a little faff to use the 8010as without the sub once installed, but hopefully I won't feel the need to do this

Is there anything I need to potentially consider about placing a sub on the wooden floor? It is a first floor room. I've seen things like the Auralex Subdude and other similar products.

Thanks!

Rich
User avatar
richbondmusic
New here
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:41 pm
Rich Bond
Wise Tree Studios
Liverpool

Re: Best Budget monitors? ADAM?

Postby w oxo cube » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:17 pm

richbondmusic wrote:
Is there anything I need to potentially consider about placing a sub on the wooden floor? It is a first floor room. I've seen things like the Auralex Subdude and other similar products.

Thanks!

Rich


I put down a thick rubber matt, placed some breeze blocks laid flat on top of the rubber, then laid my sub on top. It's not especially attractive but it certainly works.
w oxo cube
Regular
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2001 12:00 am
Location: W Yorks

Re: Best Budget monitors? ADAM?

Postby Zukan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:09 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote::lol: hmmm. Okay... Not sure very high end phones would make much real difference in assessing the low end over K702s... But it is an option, I agree.

Agreed. I use Audeze LCD-X and the low end referencing is very good. But TBH, not much better than the 712s I had....
User avatar
Zukan
Moderator
Posts: 9354
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Best Budget monitors? ADAM?

Postby Arpangel » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:45 am

Ramirez wrote:With the caveat that I’ve never heard them (but use KH120 regularly) - is the Neumann KH80 worth a look?
A fair chunker cheaper (and a bit smaller) than the KH120.
When/if I ever replace my ae22 I’d be looking at them.

I can remember when the AE22 came out, I was raving about them, I thought they were one of the best monitors around at the time, the competition sounded so coloured and unnatural compared to the AE22.
I’d still recommend them even now.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7360
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Best Budget monitors? ADAM?

Postby The Elf » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:55 am

The only things that will replace my AE22s is a repair or a secondhand replacement. They are easily the best monitors I've used.
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16599
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Best Budget monitors? ADAM?

Postby Arpangel » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:25 pm

The Elf wrote:The only things that will replace my AE22s is a repair or a secondhand replacement. They are easily the best monitors I've used.

I should have bought some when I had the chance, I think a lot of the clarity and detail of these speakers comes from a very tight and well controlled bass, not interfering with other frequencies, in fact, I’ve heard some say the 22’s are bass light, but I just think it’s a very well balanced sound, they make lots of other monitors sound very hyped, and coloured.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7360
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Best Budget monitors? ADAM?

Postby Aled Hughes » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:58 pm

Arpangel wrote:
The Elf wrote:The only things that will replace my AE22s is a repair or a secondhand replacement. They are easily the best monitors I've used.

I should have bought some when I had the chance, I think a lot of the clarity and detail of these speakers comes from a very tight and well controlled bass, not interfering with other frequencies, in fact, I’ve heard some say the 22’s are bass light, but I just think it’s a very well balanced sound, they make lots of other monitors sound very hyped, and coloured.

I agree.

Keep an eye on ebay/Gumtree etc though - they have a rather low resale value. Seen a few active pair go for under £300.
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1259
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Pwllheli, Cymru
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Re: Best Budget monitors? ADAM?

Postby Arpangel » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:33 pm

Ramirez wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
The Elf wrote:The only things that will replace my AE22s is a repair or a secondhand replacement. They are easily the best monitors I've used.

I should have bought some when I had the chance, I think a lot of the clarity and detail of these speakers comes from a very tight and well controlled bass, not interfering with other frequencies, in fact, I’ve heard some say the 22’s are bass light, but I just think it’s a very well balanced sound, they make lots of other monitors sound very hyped, and coloured.

I agree.

Keep an eye on ebay/Gumtree etc though - they have a rather low resale value. Seen a few active pair go for under £300.

:thumbup:
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7360
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Best Budget monitors? ADAM?

Postby uselessoldman » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:04 am

Just been through the same long and arduous process of choosing which Studio Monitors I wanted. I started with a clean sheet with no specific preferences and tested speakers costing over a £1000 down to the higher end budget range.

The Adams T7Vs were by far the best buy. A nice bass, punchy tight and covered most genre of music without needing a sub (I have a big Yamaha sub should the need arise). The 5"s I found lacked Bass so I counted anything less than 7" out.

That aside what made me choose them? Looks, they look LOVELY, they sound perfect, BORING AND DULL as they should be, enough power for the rooms I use, keep this in mind a larger room might require more power. Best of all, a 5yr warranty !!

I did seriously consider Yamaha and JBL but in the end I just thought the Adams sounded better and picked out some sounds I found more difficult to hear on the others. In fact I found it impossible to justify spending more on anything else, even the better Adams range. If I had needed more power then I would have opted for maybe something else, but they ticked all the boxes. I am very happy with them, you cannot fault them in any way
uselessoldman
Regular
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun May 03, 2020 7:39 pm

Re: Best Budget monitors? ADAM?

Postby Aled Hughes » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:55 am

uselessoldman wrote:I counted anything less than 7" out.

Then you’ve probably missed out on the best monitors available in that price range!
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1259
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Pwllheli, Cymru
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Re: Best Budget monitors? ADAM?

Postby Arpangel » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:42 am

uselessoldman wrote:Just been through the same long and arduous process of choosing which Studio Monitors I wanted. I started with a clean sheet with no specific preferences and tested speakers costing over a £1000 down to the higher end budget range.

The Adams T7Vs were by far the best buy. A nice bass, punchy tight and covered most genre of music without needing a sub (I have a big Yamaha sub should the need arise). The 5"s I found lacked Bass so I counted anything less than 7" out.

That aside what made me choose them? Looks, they look LOVELY, they sound perfect, BORING AND DULL as they should be, enough power for the rooms I use, keep this in mind a larger room might require more power. Best of all, a 5yr warranty !!

I did seriously consider Yamaha and JBL but in the end I just thought the Adams sounded better and picked out some sounds I found more difficult to hear on the others. In fact I found it impossible to justify spending more on anything else, even the better Adams range. If I had needed more power then I would have opted for maybe something else, but they ticked all the boxes. I am very happy with them, you cannot fault them in any way

Bass is so important, and the only really reliable way of producing it is to shift a lot of air.
Most of my listening is done in my car, which has "loads of bass" and I love it, it makes the music sound whole, complete, when I listen indoors on my monitors it’s like my legs have been cut off. I know it’s not best practice, but I’m longing for a sub now, it’s just so much more exciting.
Depends what you want, and if you have to,please anyone else, mixes etc, but without decent bass half of the music is missing in some genres.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7360
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Previous