You are here

Best Budget monitors? ADAM?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Best Budget monitors? ADAM?

Postby Arpangel » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:11 am

james090 wrote:Thanks for all your replies.

I've decided as a previous ADAM's user to go for the T7v's which look great, and lots of positive reviews. :)

Sorry to rock the boat, but have you heard the Presonus Eris range, these stood out for me when I was looking, also, KRK, these two seemed to have the most acceptable tonal balance, I did listen to a lot at the time.
But monitors are so personal, and if you're happy with the ADAM sound then go for it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:12 am

ef37a wrote:My other reservation is QC? A review sample might be touted as a £199 "giant killer" but is that quality maintained sample to sample?

On the other hand, you must offset that against the fact that the review sample may have been bounced around the country via a host of indifferent couriers before it got to a particular magazine.

On the other, other hand if you believe in 'playing in' loudspeakers, the review model might sound more at ease than models straight out of the factory.

On the...

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ef37a » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:09 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
ef37a wrote:My other reservation is QC? A review sample might be touted as a £199 "giant killer" but is that quality maintained sample to sample?

On the other hand, you must offset that against the fact that the review sample may have been bounced around the country via a host of indifferent couriers before it got to a particular magazine.

On the other, other hand if you believe in 'playing in' loudspeakers, the review model might sound more at ease than models straight out of the factory.

On the...

Martin

Thank you Martin for that incisive response! I have been told that speaker cones are notoriously difficult to make in a consistent way. I think it was the Kef R105 which had serial numbers on the drivers and should a replacement be needed a match could be found from a database?

Cannot see such intense QC being lavished on speakers at £99.0 a pop.

The "burning in/wearing out scenario is a can of worms opened FAR to often! I shall remain shtumn.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:01 pm

ef37a wrote:The "burning in/wearing out scenario is a can of worms opened FAR to often! I shall remain shtumn.

Dave.
I'd rather discuss brexit! :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby John Willett » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:19 pm

blinddrew wrote:
ef37a wrote:The "burning in/wearing out scenario is a can of worms opened FAR to often! I shall remain shtumn.

Dave.
I'd rather discuss brexit! :D

:bouncy:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby DC-Choppah » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:09 am

I recommend that you plug your new Adam monitors into an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) to protect them, along with the rest of the studio gear too.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:00 am

DC-Choppah wrote:I recommend that you plug your new Adam monitors into an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) to protect them, along with the rest of the studio gear too.

Not really necessary in the UK (at the moment) unless you live in an area prone to brown and blackouts. But it does sound like a good investment in the US, where the power quality is far more varied.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:48 am

blinddrew wrote:I'd rather discuss brexit! :D

I think we can be pretty confident that it has been fully run in now... :bouncy: :crazy: :lolno:

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby james090 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:16 pm

Just a quick thank you to all the posts here!

I decided on the Adam T7v's and they sound fantastic!

However, I just wanted to ask, as they are connected to an Audient ID22 via the Outs 1L and 2R.

I just feel that the monitoring seems low? I turned the Adam Monitors back volume up to +18db to compensate for this, but not sure if I should be using them at this high a setting?

At 0db on the monitors, it seems that I have to turn the Audient ID22 volume/monitor dial right up? I remember it being more sensitive than this? so maybe a quarter of the way around was quite loud/room volume?

I have the iD software all set up correctly from what I can see, with the channels at 0db

Any quick tips on what to look for or whether I should put the speaker volumes back to 0db? and turn up the Audient ID22? (I just didn't want a huge blast of noise if I had indeed set this up wrongly and it blow my speakers or blow my socks off!)
james090
Regular

Postby ef37a » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:34 pm

One more small expense James, a "C" weighted sound level meter.
Does not have to be expensive, £15-£20 easily good enough.

Then I am sure someone will give you a link about calibrating your monitors.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Luke W » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:24 pm

Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby richbondmusic » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:50 pm

Sorry to revive this post, but it seemed the best place to ask this question as some of the monitors I'm looking at are referenced...

I'm in the process of trying to expand my professional mixing work, and I'm looking to improve my monitoring for the low end of my mixes.

For clarity, currently I'm working on a pair of Genelec 8010a, a mono Avantone mixcube and a pair of AKG K702s. However, I feel a bit like I'm mixing blind in the low end. I'm working in a room measuring L16.7ft x W12.2ft x H10ft that has been treated using 100mm thick Rockwool panels - RW5 for bass trapping in the front and back wall-wall corners (extending nearly floor to ceiling), and front wall-to-ceiling corner, and RW45 for the broadband panels located at the first reflection points to the side of my monitors, hanging above my mix position and on the front and back wall. The space is in a late victorian terraced house with exposed floorboards. It seems pretty well behaved as a space, but this might well be because my monitors simply don't put out enough low end information to excite the room modes. Here is a link to see some images of the studio space and the acoustic treatment if this is useful. https://www.wisetreestudios.com/

The options I've explored are:
- Get another set of budget monitors - e.g. Adam T7V (or T8V) that have been previously mentioned in this post.
- Get a Genelec 7040a sub for the 8010a to create a 2.1 system.

As an FYI, alongside this, I'm planning on investing in Sonarworks as well.

I like the idea of another set of monitors to provide another perspective on my mixes, however I'm aware that the Adams are very cheap, and maybe not up to the job.

If I went down the Genelec sub route, I'm a little nervous about how easy it will be to get the sub to integrate in the room. From what I've read it often seems to be a gamble, with many suggesting larger stereo monitors are a safer bet.

What are people's opinions?

Thank you very much in advance for your time!
richbondmusic
New here
Rich Bond
Wise Tree Studios
Liverpool

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:34 pm

I dont usually recommend subs, but in your case I think adding the Genelec sub might be the most sensible and cost effective route.

It sounds like your room is well treated, and you are already very familiar with what the 8010s are telling you, so filling in the bottom couple of octaves with a sub should give you the confidence you seek, with the option of disabling it to go back to what you know easily.

Also Genelec subs do work well and are relatively easy to align with the satellites, and if you subsequently wanted to upgrade the satellites to a better Genelec model the sub would still be useful.

The idea of secondary main monitors in the space is -- I think -- a fallacy. They inherently suffer the same bass uncertainty as your primary main monitors because it's the room that creates that uncertainty. Far better, in my view, to invest in the best main monitors you can afford, rather than two lower quality sets.

A small mono single-speaker grot box is a worthy addition, though, which will tell you useful things the main monitors can't.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby blinddrew » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:38 pm

The other option might be to invest in some very high end headphones?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:45 pm

He's already got K702s...
Hugh Robjohns

PreviousNext