You are here

Garageband automate fx tweaking 3th party plugin

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Garageband automate fx tweaking 3th party plugin

Postby Lucif3r » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:31 am

I just cannot figure this out; I have the Audiothing Outer Space plugin, a wonderful tape delay emulator, great for dub. So I have recorder a synth baseline, and added the Outer Space plugin to the fx. What I want to do is to record/automate my ‘live’ tweaking with the Outer Space plugin on my synth baseline. I tried the automate function but it won’t record a thing. What am I doing wrong here?
Lucif3r

Re: Garageband automate fx tweaking 3th party plugin

Postby desmond » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:59 am

Is it that you are automating this plugin's parameters, but it's not working, or is it that you're not sure how to use automation in GB at all?

Automation is not like regular MIDI data, where you set GB recording. Automation is separate from the "recording" functions in a DAW.

There are plenty of automation guides/tips online, see if any of these helps you out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceQdiQJgfHk
https://www.howtogeek.com/238649/how-to ... arageband/
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH24988?lo ... cale=en_US

I could be wrong, but I don't think GB (unlike Logic), has the facility to write automation in real time - it's curve editing only, from what I've seen...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Lucif3r » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:13 pm

Yes, I try to write automation in real time, so all my tweaks will be automated. I can do this in the Korg Gadget iOS app, hit record again and then start to alter the knobs and everything will be remembered. If this is not possible in GB, then I guess my only option will be to have something like Audio Hijack on the background to record everything I do in GB, and then import the audio-file from Hijack back into GB..
Lucif3r

Postby desmond » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:42 pm

Lucif3r wrote:Yes, I try to write automation in real time, so all my tweaks will be automated.

If this is not possible in GB, then I guess my only option will be to have something like Audio Hijack on the background to record everything I do in GB, and then import the audio-file from Hijack back into GB..

I just checked the GB manual, and I was correct, there is no real-time automation writing in Garageband - that's I guess left as a pro feature in Logic.

So the only automation creation is by graphic editing only, so yes, you'll have to find some other workaround to reacord real time performances of plugin parameters - or upgrade to Logic.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Lucif3r » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:59 pm

Thank you for your help! So Logic might be an option, I will check it out.
Lucif3r