You are here

Logic Pro X Software Inst. only Orchestral - Advice/Critique

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Logic Pro X Software Inst. only Orchestral - Advice/Critique

Postby tadghostal » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:16 am

Been working with the built in Studio Strings and oboe for an arrangement of Gabriel's Oboe (from the motion picture The Mission).

I've got it the best I can, so now I need brutal critique from anyone who knows more about mixing and orchestral arrangements than me (so, almost anyone).

Currently I don't like the vibrato on the oboe; it's too constant. I like the sound of the Oboe Solo Legato on the EXS24 for what I'm doing, but while I can't seem to modify the vibrato or tie it to any type of controller, so it just keeps on at its constant pace. The other oboe sounds in EXS24 seem way too reedy to me - not sure why the legato one sounds fuller, but it does.

Anyway, all feedback is appreciated!

Gabriel's Oboe (Soundcloud)
tadghostal

Re: Logic Pro X Software Inst. only Orchestral - Advice/Critique

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:00 am

Welcome to the forum :-)

The real master of synthesizing an orchestra on these forums is The Elf, who I hope will come along and share some wisdom.

In the meantime, listening to this, I think you've done a lovely rendition. I can hear what you're talking about with the vibrato on the oboe but for me it doesn't detract from the piece in any meaningful sense.

It's been a while since I used Logic but you could possibly introduce some controllable vibrato to the Oboe Solo by inserting a pitch shifter on the channel and then gently modulating the level of pitch-change by automating a parameter in the shifter?

Desmond is our resident Logic expert and may have more to add.

On a related note, you may find a recent thread about orchestral reverb spacing useful if you're serious about getting that orchestra emulation as good as you can!

I think you're doing way better than most already :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby tadghostal » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:49 am

Thanks for the feedback Eddie! I was actually looking at the orchestral reverb spacing thread as I saw your reply. Good info there. Brilliant idea about pitch shifter. I'm going to try that when I get home (from my paying job :) ). If I can make it work I'll post the results.

What did you think of the overall mix? I didn't mix using headphones, but probably should have because the strings sound just a bit too bright (or strong - not sure of the term) in spots when I listen on headphones. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 headphones I could use. Probably not the best, but the best I have currently.

What do you (or anyone else) think?
tadghostal

Postby blinddrew » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:51 pm

Just listening on some cheapish headphones and laptop but I don't hear anything amiss with the strings at all. As Martin says, I can see what you mean about the oboe vibrato, but frankly it's only because you mentioned it.
It's not my area of expertise though so I'm afraid I've nothing more constructive to add! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...