You are here

Melodyne

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Melodyne

Postby TNGator » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:36 pm

Someone please put my mind at ease and tell me I don't need to spend more money. Over a year ago I wanted to get something like Melodyne. Not because I have clients (I dont..Im just recording my own demos). But I thought a tool like this could help doing my own backing vocals by pitch shifting. But Mel is quite expensive. So I saw a similar product on the Waves site and they had a sale. So I got Waves Tune. Ive no doubt mel is probably a lot better but hey... I got the Waves product as its all i could afford.
So last week I spent 160 euro on the Ken Tamplin vocal course. Its a super course by all accounts and it was a Black Friday sale. great deal.
And no sooner did I buy the course when I got an email from the guys at Mel. I qualify for an upgrade for $50. Oh for f.....ks sake. I just spent 160 so I cant really afford more spending.
So do I really need Melodyne is the question. I have Waves and all I really want to learn is how to pitch shift to get backing harmonies. Someone please put me out of my misery and confirm I don't really need Mel. :headbang:
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

Re: Melodyne

Postby desmond » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:01 pm

Well, have you used the thing you bought for the task you bought it for, and does it do the job well enough for your needs?

If yes, then you don't need to buy anything else.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Phil O » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:10 pm

Melodyne is an excellent piece of software for tuning vocals and is pretty much the de-facto tool for such IMO. However, it can only go so far transparently before artifacts are introduced. It might work to your satisfaction for the purpose you outline but will most likely sound unnatural and effected.

You would likely get better results singing as near as possible to the target pitch and using as little correction as possible. Waves Tune might be sufficient for this. I'd certainly try it before purchasing Melodyne.
Phil O
Frequent Poster

Postby TNGator » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:29 pm

desmond wrote:Well, have you used the thing you bought for the task you bought it for, and does it do the job well enough for your needs?

If yes, then you don't need to buy anything else.

I haven't used it a lot to be honest Desmond. Two reasons.
I actually don't know how to use it and its not very intuitive. I only recently found a course on Groove3 which was only $12 so that's exactly what I needed.
Second reason is I think the pro guys probably need this more as they are working with clients some of whom cant sing very well.

So you've probably put my mind at ease. I think as humans, we have a tendency to buy things just because its a fantastic discount. We get that rush of blood with the "oh my God I CANT miss this" thanks Desmond
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

Postby TNGator » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:30 pm

Phil O wrote:Melodyne is an excellent piece of software for tuning vocals and is pretty much the de-facto tool for such IMO. However, it can only go so far transparently before artifacts are introduced. It might work to your satisfaction for the purpose you outline but will most likely sound unnatural and effected.

You would likely get better results singing as near as possible to the target pitch and using as little correction as possible. Waves Tune might be sufficient for this. I'd certainly try it before purchasing Melodyne.

Thanks Phil. Sound advice. Oh God I just realized that was an awful pun.
Maybe the vocal course will help more than pitch shifting LOL
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

Postby Wonks » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:50 pm

The full version of Melodyne is great for pitch correcting polyphonic tracks and instruments, but other programs do just as well on solo voices or mono instruments. There are several versions/levels of Melodyne, and for any upgrade to be worthwhile, you'd really want to make sure that it's to the top version.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby MOF » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:36 pm

I think as humans, we have a tendency to buy things just because its a fantastic discount. We get that rush of blood with the "oh my God I CANT miss this"

Yes and no. I’ve just bought the Arturia V7 keyboards collection for €299, at that price I finally succumbed after nearly buying earlier versions over the years.
In the past I asked myself how many keyboard emulations do I already have, it’s only the addition of extra unique models and that price tag that swung it.
On the other hand I have gone a little crazy with some Waves plugins during their sales and not used quite a few of them since then.
The UAD plugins, that cost more, I’ve used and thought about carefully before purchase.
MOF
Regular

Postby TNGator » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:37 pm

Wonks wrote:The full version of Melodyne is great for pitch correcting polyphonic tracks and instruments, but other programs do just as well on solo voices or mono instruments. There are several versions/levels of Melodyne, and for any upgrade to be worthwhile, you'd really want to make sure that it's to the top version.

Thank you kindly good sir. Im feeling more relieved by the minute that I didnt rush out for this special deal. :clap:
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

Postby BJG145 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:17 pm

...but...if it is the top version, then yes you should spend more money.

Sorry. :D
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:10 pm

My $.10 is to approach these things from the perspective of "is there something you want to do but you don't manage"? If this is the case, and Melodyne can be the answer, why not. If you manage to do all you need with what you have, then no.

For backing vocals, anything decent will probably do. In general I use Waves Ultrapitch rather than Melodyne as it's quicker and more efficient to set up, the trick is having more than one vocal for every interval you want.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby TNGator » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:18 am

CS70 wrote:My $.10 is to approach these things from the perspective of "is there something you want to do but you don't manage"? If this is the case, and Melodyne can be the answer, why not. If you manage to do all you need with what you have, then no.

For backing vocals, anything decent will probably do. In general I use Waves Ultrapitch rather than Melodyne as it's quicker and more efficient to set up, the trick is having more than one vocal for every interval you want.

I'll have a look for ultra pitch. I never heard of it. The waves stuff is really good so that might be worth a shot. Cheers for the info
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

Postby CS70 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:34 am

TNGator wrote:I'll have a look for ultra pitch. I never heard of it. The waves stuff is really good so that might be worth a shot. Cheers for the info

It allows you to pitch shift anything and has presets for typical harmonies (3rds, 5ths etc) but you can also shift as many cents as you want.

I also often use it to put down a makeshift bass line when making demos, playing the low strings on the guitar and then shifting an octave down. Much quicker than go pick up an actual bass :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page