You are here

Beyerdynamic - Which Headphones?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Beyerdynamic - Which Headphones?

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:28 am

I've recently started using Waves Nx headphone mixing system, and I must say I'm very impressed - but my current phones, while decent, are fairly uncomfortable for long sessions (Audio-Technica ATH 50x). I tried replacement pads to remedy this drawback (Brainworx angled) and while these certainly do the trick re: comfort - they alter the sound considerably, introducing a certain resonance which is fine for casual listening but I don't really trust them for critical listening.

Now, the Nx plugin has EQ presets for a number of models, the ATH-M50x among them, and I have to say I liked what said preset did for the ATs sans Brainworx pads - it also has presets for a couple of Beyerdynamic sets. Namely the 880 Pro (250 Ohm) and the 990 Pro (250 Ohm).

My question is, which of these models would be best suited to mixing? I see the 990s are fully open, while the 880s are half-open . . . and I believe fully-open are generally regarded as better for the task. Is there much of a difference in actual sound between the models, or are they equivalent?

I know most folk around here seem to recommend doing without any correction, and just getting used to the natural sound of the phones with frequent use of reference tracks etc - but I was genuinely impressed with the correction as applied to the ATs. It was as if I'd swallowed hard and unblocked my ears! :) Obviously I'd still make use of reference tracks.

Cheers!
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:20 am

Re: Beyerdynamic - Which Headphones?

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:51 am

Quite correct that open headphones are usually preferred for mixing. Having said that I do enjoy the Beyer 880s and now generally use them in preference to the Sennheiser HD650s which I find fairly tight fitting on my head. Haven’t tried the 990s.

Bob
User avatar
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3909
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Re: Beyerdynamic - Which Headphones?

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:18 pm

Hi Bob, glad you brought up the issue of general fit actually.

I actually prefer phones to have a decent clamp, the problem with the ATs was depth of the pads. They're really shallow, so consequently ended up squished against my ears. I could always send them away to Sonarworks for calibration with the new pads but that's actually more expensive than a set of 990 / 880s . . . and the fit of the Brainworx pads aren't what I'd call perfect, so unsure if the calibration would be sustainable if they move slightly, or need replacing themselves.

So I guess that's another question to ask - can anyone compare the depth of the pads of the Beyers versus the ATs?
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:20 am

Re: Beyerdynamic - Which Headphones?

Postby Smellthevalve » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:38 pm

I don’t have AT phones but can tell you the DT990 ones extend 2cm from the rim and the internal diameter is about 55mm if that’s any help.
Smellthevalve
Regular
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: Beyerdynamic - Which Headphones?

Postby John Egan » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:46 pm

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:I've recently started using Waves Nx headphone mixing system, and I must say I'm very impressed - but my current phones, while decent, are fairly uncomfortable for long sessions (Audio-Technica ATH 50x). I tried replacement pads to remedy this drawback (Brainworx angled) and while these certainly do the trick re: comfort - they alter the sound considerably, introducing a certain resonance which is fine for casual listening but I don't really trust them for critical listening.

Now, the Nx plugin has EQ presets for a number of models, the ATH-M50x among them, and I have to say I liked what said preset did for the ATs sans Brainworx pads - it also has presets for a couple of Beyerdynamic sets. Namely the 880 Pro (250 Ohm) and the 990 Pro (250 Ohm).

My question is, which of these models would be best suited to mixing? I see the 990s are fully open, while the 880s are half-open . . . and I believe fully-open are generally regarded as better for the task. Is there much of a difference in actual sound between the models, or are they equivalent?

I know most folk around here seem to recommend doing without any correction, and just getting used to the natural sound of the phones with frequent use of reference tracks etc - but I was genuinely impressed with the correction as applied to the ATs. It was as if I'd swallowed hard and unblocked my ears! :) Obviously I'd still make use of reference tracks.

Cheers!

I use the 880s as an aid to mixing and find them comfortable and neutral when I want to listen critically for problems.

Regards, John
User avatar
John Egan
Regular
Posts: 336
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Staffordshire, England

Re: Beyerdynamic - Which Headphones?

Postby CS70 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:56 pm

I have been using the 990 Pro for years. As any headphone, you need to get used to them a bit but definitely they’re excellent for mixing and very comfortable to wear for long stretches.
User avatar
CS70
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4486
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:00 am
Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Re: Beyerdynamic - Which Headphones?

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:12 pm

Smellthevalve wrote:I don’t have AT phones but can tell you the DT990 ones extend 2cm from the rim and the internal diameter is about 55mm if that’s any help.

That seems a decent pad thickness, if that's indeed what you mean? Are they reasonably firm or do they squish in under clamping pressure?


John Egan wrote:
I use the 880s as an aid to mixing and find them comfortable and neutral when I want to listen critically for problems.

Regards, John

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus - they entered into consideration mostly due to this review from all the way back in 2010;

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/st ... ones-0#top


CS70 wrote:I have been using the 990 Pro for years. As any headphone, you need to get used to them a bit but definitely they’re excellent for mixing and very comfortable to wear for long stretches.

For sure! I've only recently started listening on anything considered half-decent at all, always having preferred speakers, and though I don't have many different sets of phones to compare (have a set of Audeze Mobius as well as the ATs) there's definitely a bit of difference when switching between them.

I think I might be leaning toward the 990s, as another thing I'm having to contend with is a bit of pressure sensitivity when using closed-back. This is particularly noticeable when using the Mobius.

So do the 990s share the plaudits the 880s get in that old SOS review you think? Broadly or very similar?
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:20 am

Re: Beyerdynamic - Which Headphones?

Postby Smellthevalve » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:55 pm

I haven’t used the DT880 so can’t comment on the difference but if that review you mentioned from January 2010 says they compare well with the Sennheiser hd600 then you ought to give those a try, I have used the hd600 myself and liked it’s refined sound. The dt990* feels comfortable even when wearing glasses.
* 250 ohm ‘pro’ version
Smellthevalve
Regular
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: Beyerdynamic - Which Headphones?

Postby blinddrew » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:44 pm

I use 770s and 990s and have for years. I find them comfortable for long stints and they both correct well with sonarworks.
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8496
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Beyerdynamic - Which Headphones?

Postby CS70 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:13 pm

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:So do the 990s share the plaudits the 880s get in that old SOS review you think? Broadly or very similar?

I've never tried the 880 so I don't know :-), but what I know that mixes made on the 990s tend to translate pretty well.
User avatar
CS70
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4486
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:00 am
Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Re: Beyerdynamic - Which Headphones?

Postby resistorman » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:15 pm

I have both the AT and 880, though I’ve not had trouble with comfort. The AT definitely is improved with correction. I don’t really feel the need to do so on the 880... in fact, I’ve been using it to fine tune my work and the mixes are translating very well. The 880 is more comfortable than the AT.
User avatar
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 678
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:00 am
Location: Asheville NC

Re: Beyerdynamic - Which Headphones?

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:06 am

Never had a problem with 880s or 770s in terms of lack of padding. Once in position there is still plenty of room in the internal cavity to at least accommodate my ears.

Bob
User avatar
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3909
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Re: Beyerdynamic - Which Headphones?

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:57 pm

Well - I've managed to narrow it down to either the 990s or the 880s! ;)

I'm convinced they'll offer clearance for the ears, so really it boils down to the sonic qualities. Fully or half-open . . . isolation isn't a factor in the decision at all. I imagine either / both sets would probably be more physically comfortable than my current lot.

Has anyone used either model with the Nx system? I've only the ATs (with head-tracker) and the built-in Nx of the Mobius to go on, and as both are closed I wonder what difference semi or open phones would make to the sound stage as presented by Nx.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:20 am

Re: Beyerdynamic - Which Headphones?

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:42 pm

Haven’t compared 880 with 990, but when I researched it there seemed to be a general preference for 880 over 990 and I certainly haven’t been disappointed.

Bob
User avatar
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3909
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Re: Beyerdynamic - Which Headphones?

Postby ore_terra » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:54 am

another 880 user. I can wear them for long sessions even with glasses and they're comfortable enough for me
User avatar
ore_terra
Frequent Poster
Posts: 623
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:56 pm
Location: Seville - Spain

Re: Beyerdynamic - Which Headphones?

Postby forumuser911202 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:16 pm

I,m using the DT880,s also, but with Sonarworks. This combo works for me just fine, then I,ll listen on my other pairs of monitors, to check the mix. CD,s sound great on all playback systems.
forumuser911202
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:11 pm


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users