You are here

A few questions for beginners

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

A few questions for beginners

Postby ProducingTekk » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:53 pm

Hey everyone, I’m currently trying to find out how one could make the lives of beginning producers a lot easier ;)

Which is why I have two very simple questions:

1. As a beginning producer, what are the 2 biggest issues you’re dealing with?

2. Regarding learning to produce music, what would you wish for more than anything else?

Thanks so much in advance – looking forward to reading your answers! :)
ProducingTekk

Re: A few questions for beginners

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:29 pm

ProducingTekk wrote:1. As a beginning producer, what are the 2 biggest issues you’re dealing with?
2. Regarding learning to produce music, what would you wish for more than anything else?

I wouldn't consider myself a 'beginning producer' but thinking back and answering in a general sense:

1: a) Lack of experience, b) distinguishing good advice from bad.
2: Time.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:39 pm

1 Getting work, and building a reputation, why would people want "you"?

2 I would wish for people to want me because I can do things, and make things sound, like no one else can.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:52 pm

I'd first clarify what you mean by 'producer', as it can cover a wide range of activities.

You can make it easier for people to knock out tunes by using AI to add a lot of extra musical elements around a basic theme, but that doesn't provide any guarantee that the end product is good, or will have a unique quality that will make it interesting to listen to and will get other people's attention.

But there's nothing like hard work and putting in the time to get a proper feel for what you are doing.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby PKRain » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:16 am

ProducingTekk wrote:Hey everyone, I’m currently trying to find out how one could make the lives of beginning producers a lot easier ;)

Which is why I have two very simple questions:

Thanks so much in advance – looking forward to reading your answers! :)

Not really a beginner but I remember when I was.
1:) Such a broad topic, but for me, it was learning the ins and outs of my daw, completing projects was a HUGE obstacle to overcome. Learning how compression worked was a stumbling block. Honestly like panning everything right was hard too. It’s pretty daunting when I first started out. Great idea!

2:) I would wish not to be a perfectionist lol. Producing is all about quality and speed, it was way too easy to get sidetracked.
PKRain
New here

Postby info@markdek.nl » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:35 pm

2 biggest issues:
1 - Moving from the production stage to the mixing/mastering stage. It's been about 10 times now that I thought I was ready for mixing and mastering, but ended up going back all the way to core parts of my production.
2 - Trusting my ears. Not having any experience, I find it very hard to say what works and what doesn't (this is especially true for the mixing stage: Compression, EQ'ing, Panning, Vocal treatment, I hardly hear what I'm doing, let alone if it's any good).
bonus: knowing how rendering works in my DAW (especially when rendering parts/ stems: what gets rendered with specific rendering option to inform me which types of VsT's to use in which stage of my production)

What would I wish for:
A sparringpartner / mentor / friend with similar interests. I love that I can find out about everything I need to know on Youtube. I've learned a lot about how (digital and analog) synths work, music theory, production workflow, mixing and mastering just by watching video's during my daily commute, which is wonderful. I do miss just hanging out in a studio with someone who either knows his/her way around a studio, OR is as obsessed as I am (might even be better, because you find out new stuff and challenge each other to do creative stuff with it.
info@markdek.nl