You are here

A few questions for beginners

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: A few questions for beginners

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:14 pm

Mayonline wrote:Hello, a couple of things I struggle with is EQ and compression.
When I watch tutorials, I am unable to hear the differences most of the time when they A/B these from being off and on.

This is not uncommon, especially when learning and when using online resources due to the inherent audio degradation involved in streaming.

Many of the changes are more obvious if you replicate them in your own environment on good reproduction equipment but even then, they can be really, really subtle. Learning to listen out for these tiny changes is worth perservering with.

Having spent quite a lot of time with a professional mix engineer working on a track of mine in recent months, one big takeaway for me was that a good mix can be the result of a number of tiny tweaks rather than something major. On their own these tweaks may be borderline unnoticeable but when they are all stacked up together they make all the difference.

Mixing in an acoustically treated environment is also a real ear-opener. Things can sound quite different if you move your head as little as a foot or two in one direction or another :)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby ef37a » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:17 pm

Mayonline wrote:Hello, a couple of things I struggle with is EQ and compression.
When I watch tutorials, I am unable to hear the differences most of the time when they A/B these from being off and on.
Cheers

Rather an obvious point but you can only hear the effect of any EQ when there are frequencies in the signal that come under the setting! Likewise, compression will only be detected when the signal exceeds the threshold. Put 2 minutes of white noise up and have a play with a parametric!

Top guys like Hugh will also tell you that it takes some training and lot of experience to discern subtle changes in a music track.

I have never seen this mentioned in any forum but it might be as well for any budding 'producers' to get their hearing properly check before embarking on a career in sound?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Mayonline » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:19 pm

Thanks for the response. I had thought that poor quality streams may contribute to not noticing the differences but good that you've confirmed this. Cheers
Mayonline
New here

Previous