You are here

Black Friday sales hangover.

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Black Friday sales hangover.

Postby Zukan » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:03 am

Ok, so I think we've had enough time to reflect on our Black Friday purchases. Yes, some of you feel guilty and 'dirty' but be strong, you haven't treated yourself to anything the whole year so why feel twitchy just because you blew the kids education on some compressors and eqs?

Now that we have leveled out I think it is the right time to discuss what you bought and why. Oh why, why oh why oh why? I mean, 40 eqs should be enough no? Of course not! We're plugin tarts and damn proud of it.

So, what plugin caused your missus to leave you?
Zukan

Re: Black Friday sales hangover.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:29 pm

I spent exactly nothing in the sales!

I did get one free plugin though in the form of the Waves Berzerk Distortion. Haven't played with it yet but after hearing how nice some of the distortions sounded that you (Eddie) applied to some of that stuff we've been mixing I thought it would be daft not to grab it while it was free.

Indirectly because of Black Friday am going to pull the trigger on an upgrade to Max 8 though. I checked and they didn't have a black Friday offer but as we are software tarts I'll be getting it anyway. I'd would have done it on Friday if they had made an upgrade offer but the fact they didn't just made me mull it over for a few days before deciding to do it.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Smellthevalve » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:42 pm

Last night I had a close encounter with the online basket but pulled out at the last moment, can't really justify getting stuff until I have sold some hardware to compensate the budget
Smellthevalve
Frequent Poster

Postby jaminem » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:19 pm

I took advantage of the UAD sale...

Got me the SSL bus compressor, Lexicon 480L, Vocoder and the Oxford SuprEsser…the 3 bundle + 1 free at the reduced rate of £299 is always good value imho.
Then they sent me a voucher so I got the ATR 102 as well.

And I upgraded all of the drives in my PC, an M.2 for the OS and 2 x 1TB's SSD's for the audio and sample drives so my PC is now silent.

Took the opportunity for a clean install using 1909 which was a bit of a risk (I still had the old OS on the old SSD tho) but it works fine, although I did have to WUP some of my Waves plugins which necessitated some pruning and thinning out of some unused stuff.

Now they've sent me a voucher...…
and on it goes....
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby Luke W » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:29 pm

jaminem wrote:Now they've sent me a voucher...…
and on it goes....

This is my problem at the moment... I've bought nothing in any sales at all but the SSL E Series channel strip being down at £89 is looking pretty tasty, but I know it will end up in another voucher heading my way and something else looking like a deal.

It's almost like they know what they're up to.
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Postby Rich Hanson » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:35 pm

I bought zenaudio ALK2 looping software. I was going to buy it anyway, I had no idea they were having a black Friday deal, so that was a nice surprise.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby jaminem » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:50 pm

Luke W wrote:
jaminem wrote:Now they've sent me a voucher...…
and on it goes....

This is my problem at the moment... I've bought nothing in any sales at all but the SSL E Series channel strip being down at £89 is looking pretty tasty, but I know it will end up in another voucher heading my way and something else looking like a deal.

It's almost like they know what they're up to.

Yeah, and even tho I said I never would, I had to WUP as well, so they got me there as well!
Incidentally even though it may not fit in your lovely new workspace, I would seriously consider Console 1 if you're thinking SSL. Its brilliant for workflow and sounds top.
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:01 pm

Eventide Ultrareverb at $29 was irresistible. Heck, I spend more parking the car in the city for a day.

I was _really_ really ogling the UAD sales, and almost got the Lexi 480... but then I found a package of 480 impulse responses for free and it saved me at the last moment. God bless the internet and its prophet Google.

Also got a $8 package of latin drum loops at Groove Monkee to use with EZDrummer, I use loops a lot to get inspiration and make demos for the band, so I felt the huge investment was worth it :-D

Now on to these swedish-made K84 clones that promise to be as flat as a ruler...
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:11 pm

I bought three iOS music apps - less than $20 worth on sale. Mostly bought things I was on the fence about but will be useful in the future. Almost bought Decapitator for $50. Liked what it did to some instruments but then I found the free plugin by Softube called Saturation Knob. (Ilok, grrrrrr but it’s free sounds as good. )

But then I tried MicroShift (MicroPitch?) in the Soundtoys demo on a mono track. It brings some of that Eventide magic and I couldn’t replicate that with what I currently have so I have a day or two to decide on that.

Plugs almost feel like flavour of the week - why spend hours learning a plug and tweaking when you can download one on sale and use a preset that is close to what you want? Next project will be something new. I’m not condoning it, it just feels faster sometimes during a deadline crunch. Plus if some famous person with better ears than I endorses it, well then it must be good......
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Luke W » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:13 pm

I've had a look at Console
jaminem wrote:Yeah, and even tho I said I never would, I had to WUP as well, so they got me there as well!
Incidentally even though it may not fit in your lovely new workspace, I would seriously consider Console 1 if you're thinking SSL. Its brilliant for workflow and sounds top.

I've had a look at Console 1 a few times, it got even more interesting when they integrated it with UAD. I'm not sure that I'd quite get the use out of it at the moment, but I hear nothing but praise for it.
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Postby Folderol » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:31 pm

Nope. Nuttin'. Just didn't see anything anywhere that I wanted.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Kwackman » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:40 pm

I succumbed to Overloud TH-U.
The voices in my head said it would make my dodgy guitar playing better.
Those voices lied. Again.
An easy to use interface and nice sonic quality, but the guitar talent hasn't changed one iota...
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby CS70 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:44 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:
Plugs almost feel like flavour of the week - why spend hours learning a plug and tweaking when you can download one on sale and use a preset that is close to what you want? Next project will be something new. I’m not condoning it, it just feels faster sometimes during a deadline crunch.

Cool how people are different! I almost always use the same few plugins.. the only moment when I look for something different is when I feel I'm not getting what I want.

Actually the reason for looking at the UltraReverb and the Lexis was that in the last song for my band (which is now in mastering), I had a bit harder time with the vox reverb/delay chain than I usually do. So now I'm really curious to try the new Eventide (and the Lexicon impluses) on the next!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby resistorman » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:04 pm

I bought a few IOS plugs, a Roli Lightblock for half price, the whole “from Mars” sample roster for peanuts... and a 32” curved monitor with Gsync. The screen holds a boatload of plugins!
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Jadoube » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:44 pm

I almost made it.... but there was a great price so I picked up Drumaton2. I'm always getting handed at best 'strangely' recorded drums and at worst 'disastrously' recorded drums. (So many people don't know how to record drums.)
I read the SOS review and I thought this might be a handy new tool... so I blinked and bought it.
THAT'S IT FOR THE YEAR. No fooling. I'm not even going to look at anything again till spring. I can stop anytime.
Jadoube
Regular
David

Postby John Willett » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:48 pm

I bought a new burglar alarm for the house and saved a nice bundle. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Ramirez » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:07 pm

I bought some extra stuff for the Console 1 - the Summit Audio channel strip, and found an old deal where, because I once bought a Focusrite interface, I could get some extra Softube stuff for a good price. So through that I got the FET Compressor for Console 1 plus extras, for cheaper than the FET Compressor alone (astonishingly, I don’t have an 1176-style plugin, although there are two proper Urei 1176 vintage units in the studio).

And then Softube put a good price on Tape, so I got that too...
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby blinddrew » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:32 pm

I bought a new set of blades for my stanley knife, but actually I'd forgotten it was black friday so I'm not sure if that counts.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby John Egan » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:53 pm

I didn't have that many plugins apart from the ones that came bundled with Reason and SoundForge, so I decided to buy the Waves Diamond bundle. Now I reckon I probably have more than enough, but I need to understand the characteristics of the new ones.
Was it justifiable ? Of course it was.............................
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Ronnie Wibbley » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:28 am

PSP Nexcellence. Because you can never really have too many spring reverb plugins.

(I have too many spring reverb plugins.)
Ronnie Wibbley
Regular

Next