You are here

EQ Plugin

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

EQ Plugin

Postby JRocker » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:16 am

Hi,
I recently download a free WAVES One Knob Wetter, a great easy to use cool reverb plugin, was wondering if there's anything similar in free plugins for an EQ?
JRocker
Regular

Re: EQ Plugin

Postby The Elf » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:16 am

There are very many out there.

Which DAW are you using? And what are you looking for in an EQ that you are not finding in your DAW's built-in EQs?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Zukan » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:59 am

You know, I have a gazillion eq plugins as I teach and write about production and of all the free, and even paid, eq plugins I have I still use the Luftikus eq.

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/luftikus-by-lkjb

Also, keep an eye out for manufacturer deals. I picked up the Sie EQ from Soundtoys when it was a freebie. Keep tabs on the plugin distribution sites as well. They always have freebie deals.
Zukan

Postby JRocker » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:29 am

I am using Cubase and Win10. Just want something that is a bit easier to use and more straight forward. Is there any basic 'how to use EQ for dummies' out there?
JRocker
Regular

Postby simedgoose » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:51 am

Zukan wrote:You know, I have a gazillion eq plugins as I teach and write about production and of all the free, and even paid, eq plugins I have I still use the Luftikus eq.

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/luftikus-by-lkjb

Ooooh. I just tried that. Like the sound of it a lot. Thank you Zukan for the steer.
simedgoose

Postby The Elf » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:09 pm

JRocker wrote:I am using Cubase and Win10. Just want something that is a bit easier to use and more straight forward. Is there any basic 'how to use EQ for dummies' out there?
I have to say that the Cubase EQ is pretty simple!

Maybe invest in one of Zukan's courses to get to grips with EQ as a whole?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:14 pm

The Elf wrote:Maybe invest in one of Zukan's courses to get to grips with EQ as a whole?

I would certainly echo that suggestion - I've learned LOADS from Zukan's various tutorials and courses over the years.

However, here's another very recent freebie that I can also recommend for its ease of use, usefulness and musicality:

https://fuseaudiolabs.de/#/pages/product?id=300965965

I really rate Fuse Audio Labs products :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby CS70 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:40 pm

Martin, I just had a look and saw the "drum remixer".

Occasionally I get only stereo recordings of drums (typically when made by synths, I guess) and while it's always possible to do something with a multiband compressor, it's also more tedious and less direct than working on the specific sections..

Do you have any experience of that specific tool?
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:43 pm

Sorry CS, I don't, but I believe it was one of Fuse Audio Labs' first products, and does seem to have a good reputation.

As it happens, my post yesterday about the Fuse Audio range reminded me of a sale they were running, so I quickly downloaded the demos of their Vintage Passive EQs:

https://fuseaudiolabs.com/#/pages/product?id=300910246

And the American Vintage EQ: https://fuseaudiolabs.com/#/pages/product?id=300876196

Both offered bags of character, but I ended up buying the Passive EQ pair, as this gave responses SO different from anything else in my EQ armoury, and I got it for a miniscule £13.26 in the sale, which sadly ended today.

Well chuffed am I.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:50 pm

I just downloaded this to try....it's an eq with no markings so you HAVE to use your ears. Good idea I reckon
https://www.audiothing.net/effects/blindfold-eq/#grabit
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby CS70 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:11 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Both offered bags of character, but I ended up buying the Passive EQ pair, as this gave responses SO different from anything else in my EQ armoury, and I got it for a miniscule £13.26 in the sale, which sadly ended today.

Well chuffed am I.

Martin

Martin, you're the perfect salesman. The sale was still on :) and I got one myself. Just on your recommendation! Basically a couple cappuccinos and slices of cake here in Oslo
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:11 am

Excellent - do report back on how useful you find it in practice.

For me, the VQP-258A Equaliser offers very wide Low Freq curves (far wider than most), making it more like a tonal 'tilt' control than most bell EQs. The High Freq section offers proportional Q, so once again it's a good tonal tool at low boosts, but far more resonant at higher boost settings. There is a tiny 3rd/5th harmonic contribution below about 50Hz, but not enough to call it coloured. Overall, this seems like a great tone shaper, and as I mentioned before, quite different from anything else in my EQ arsenal.

Meanwhile, the VQP-259A filters offer a much wider range of roll-offs than most - low end roll-off from 70Hz to a massive 7.5kHz, and the high end roll-off from 10kHz all the way down to 250Hz, making it an easy way to achieve telephone and other radical bandwidth reduction effects.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Dynamic Mike » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:34 am

JRocker wrote:I am using Cubase and Win10. Just want something that is a bit easier to use and more straight forward. Is there any basic 'how to use EQ for dummies' out there?

If you're looking to add character try the stupidly named QuadrafuzzV2 you already have in cubase. I overlooked this for years thinking it was some kind of fuzz pedal effect.

Regarding EQ for dummies, not free (although there's a 10 day free trial at present) but take a punt on iZotope Neutron 3. This basically 'listens' to each individual track & applies the EQ automatically. It's not always 100% what you're looking for, but it's generally disturbingly close, and I've found it a great learning tool. I've only got the light version (it was part of a package at the time) but even this has been an eye-opener for me.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Kwackman » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:17 am

Dynamic Mike wrote:If you're looking to add character try the stupidly named QuadrafuzzV2 you already have in cubase. I overlooked this for years thinking it was some kind of fuzz pedal effect.

Nice "how to" article on it here...
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/hot-fuzz

Agreed on the name, D Mike, but it'll never beat RME's "Babyface" and the pictures on the box it came in!
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby CS70 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:23 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Excellent - do report back on how useful you find it in practice.

For me, the VQP-258A Equaliser offers very wide Low Freq curves (far wider than most), making it more like a tonal 'tilt' control than most bell EQs. The High Freq section offers proportional Q, so once again it's a good tonal tool at low boosts, but far more resonant at higher boost settings. There is a tiny 3rd/5th harmonic contribution below about 50Hz, but not enough to call it coloured. Overall, this seems like a great tone shaper, and as I mentioned before, quite different from anything else in my EQ arsenal.

Meanwhile, the VQP-259A filters offer a much wider range of roll-offs than most - low end roll-off from 70Hz to a massive 7.5kHz, and the high end roll-off from 10kHz all the way down to 250Hz, making it an easy way to achieve telephone and other radical bandwidth reduction effects.

Martin

Yeah gonna give it a spin. Must admit - superficial as I am - I was quite attracted by the looks! :D
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby scottfreems » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:14 pm

Honestly, I use ~3 EQs on any given track to get the sound I'm looking for. After compression, I reach for my SSL Native X-EQ (visual parametric) for fine tuning and LPF/HPF, then I reach for my Puig-like Pultec EQH-2 & MEQ-5. That pretty much takes me where I need to be a lot of the time as far as EQ goes.
scottfreems
New here
IGNITION Mixing & Mastering -- ignition@ignitionmixmaster.com

Postby fxsoundscapes » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:38 pm

With Cubase and Ableton live, the built in EQ plugins do a great job if you know what you are doing and have a basic understanding of how to apply it.

If you want some free EQ plugins here are some links to check out:

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2011/0 ... t-plugins/

https://www.producerspot.com/best-free- ... n-internet

my own free EQ favourite is TDR Nova by Tokyo Dawn Labs.
fxsoundscapes
Poster

Postby Zukan » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:01 am

Dynamic Mike wrote:

If you're looking to add character try the stupidly named QuadrafuzzV2 you already have in cubase. I overlooked this for years thinking it was some kind of fuzz pedal effect.

I actually love this plugin. I too discounted it until I tried it one day and was blown away at how utterly useful it is. Does proper grunge!
Zukan