You are here

Flux Pure Limiter - How Do You Use It?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Flux Pure Limiter - How Do You Use It?

Postby ITHertz » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:58 am

Hi Folks,

In the recent sales I picked up the Flux Studio Session Pack, primarily for Syrah and Verb. Flux plug-ins have a good reputation so I've been checking out the others in the bundle and looking to integrate them into my workflow, in particular the Compressor and Limiter.

Unfortunately there's not much info available on how to use these, and the manuals are, shall we say, less than adequate (I've worked for several years as a technical writer). Bit disappointing really as they seem to offer a lot of advanced functionality.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions about the Flux Limiter:

(1) How do you set a ceiling value on the output?
(2) What does Make Up do?

Cheers,

Chris
ITHertz
Regular

Re: Flux Pure Limiter - How Do You Use It?

Postby Wonks » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:31 am

I don't think it's a brick wall limiter, so there is no maximum level setting. You're still going to have to monitor your master bus meters and adjust threshold and make-up gain accordingly. (However, the meters only go up to 0dBFS, so I'm not 100% sure on this).

Setting the knee to 0 will give you the most brick wall type setting, but adding in some knee will give a more musical, less fatiguing result.

Make-up appears to automatically add gain based on the threshold value. So if you set the threshold at -6dB, you'll probably get the best part of 5-6dB gain added. I'd assume the global output gain control still works as well, so if you turn on make-up, you may well have to back-off the master gain control.

I'd suggest just experimenting with a pink noise source as an input, (I'd record a bit then automate the output level control on the noise so it steps between two values so you can see attack and release effects) and seeing what effect the controls have on the output.

Nothing like empirical testing to get to know a product.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ITHertz » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:36 am

Thanks, I'll give it a test and see what I can figure out. Not having any sort of numeric display makes it a bit tricky.

I've contacted Flux with my questions so I'll see what they say.

Cheers,

Chris
ITHertz
Regular

Postby ITHertz » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:36 am

So I think I've figured it out.

Flux support replied very quickly and said that "Enable 'make up'" applies the inverse of the threshold value (as Wonks pointed out), so the output never exceeds 0 dBFS (when Output Gain is 0dB).

The key (I think) is that the Threshold control acts as both a threshold for limiting and as the ceiling.

For example, if I set the Threshold to -1dB then no matter how hard I drive the input, (using the Input Gain) the output won't exceed -1dB. If I then enable Make Up, the output gets increased by 1dB (the inverse of the Threshold value) effectively limiting at a ceiling of 0dB.

Then the Output Gain can be used to set a final ceiling value, i.e. an offset from 0dB. Of course, if you set the Output Gain to the inverse of the Threshold this makes the Make Up control a bit redundant.

Hope this is useful to anyone using this plug-in. If anything is wrong with my explanation let know.

Cheers,

Chris
ITHertz
Regular