You are here

Audeze headphones

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Audeze headphones

Postby johnny h » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:31 pm

Its been a while since I did some research on headphones. I have some Sennheiser 650s with a good preamp and they are ok but nothing more. The bass isn't great and they just sound a bit wooly and unsure in the mids.

I stumbled on the Audeze headphone review - possibly one of the most positive I've ever seen from SOS - and gave a few models a try. They seemed pretty good. The LCD2c have outstanding bass, the clarity and detail was excellent and I actually preferred them to the far more expensive LCD4s which were a bit too bright for me.

Does anyone have any long term experiences with any Audeze headphones here or any other alternatives?
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Audeze headphones

Postby The Elf » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:07 pm

Still the AKG K7xx range for me. The K712s are almost permanently glued to my head.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Sam Inglis » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:19 pm

Yes, and I still think that by and large they are great. The only Audeze model I've heard that I didn't really like was the closed-back version of the EL8, but that's now discontinued anyway. I've not heard anything else that comes close to the larger LCD models either for low end or for that feeling of dynamic impact on drums.

I only have two concerns about them really. One is that the large LCD models are bulky and heavy and not very portable. The other is that because of the relaxed top end you can occasionally miss things that might be a problem on more conventional headphones, which tend to be a lot brighter.

For the first reason my main headphones that I take everywhere are the Oppo PM-3s. These are also discontinued, sadly, but they sound really good, offer decent isolation and pack away into a nice small case.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby IAA » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:28 pm

I alternate between HD650s and Audeze LCD2s. The latter I prefer to mix on rather than track purely because they are bulkier and not suited (in my mind) for head tapping in the groove moments.

The bass and mid range clarity are impressive in the LCDs.

If you haven’t, I would try sonarworks on the HDs it really made mine more realistic at the low end (such that I stopped banging a sub bass sine on the choruses!)
IAA
Regular

Postby Zukan » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:42 am

I have the Audeze LCD-X and they are very good. I also use a Stax but it's lighter on the low end. Between the two I am covered.
Zukan

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:00 am

johnny h wrote:They seemed pretty good. The LCD2c have outstanding bass, the clarity and detail was excellent and I actually preferred them to the far more expensive LCD4s which were a bit too bright for me.

Sounds about right, we pitch the LCD 2's as listening and writing, with the 4's as being more clinical. I've been running LCD2's for a few years now, but still use the other models (Sennheiser/Focals) I have laid about depending on what I'm doing.

Similarlly to what Sam noted, I hung on until the EL8 release, listened to the low end and spent the money on the 2's, still happy enough with my choice.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby johnny h » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:35 am

Thanks for all your replies guys, most helpful!
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)