You are here

altiverb 7 upgrade worth it?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

altiverb 7 upgrade worth it?

Postby Guitarking » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:46 pm

Hi everyone,

For a while I have been thinking of upgrading from A6 to A7.
New IR's and a nicer GUI I thought.
Was about to buy it for 159 euro's but then it adds another 33 euro VAT. That's nearly 200 euro's. Am I mad thinking this is out of proportions?
Anyway? Is it worth it or will A6 do (Running the 32 bit bridge in reaper but it seems slow)
Guitarking
Regular

Re: altiverb 7 upgrade worth it?

Postby scottfreems » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:23 pm

I mean absolutely no offense at all, but I looked up the list price and don't think that I would pay that much for a reverb given the reverbs that I already have (which were much less expensive). I'm sure it has its uses, and perhaps I've missed the boat on this, but I would think this kind of reverb would be more useful for 5.1?
scottfreems
New here
IGNITION Mixing & Mastering -- ignition@ignitionmixmaster.com

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:51 pm

I got Aether Reverb (and its smaller sibling Breeze) from 2C Audio some time back and ever since I've not been remotely tempted by anything else!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby scottfreems » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:14 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I got Aether Reverb (and its smaller sibling Breeze) from 2C Audio some time back and ever since I've not been remotely tempted by anything else!

Dang, I wish that came in AAX.
scottfreems
New here

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:37 am

scottfreems wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:I got Aether Reverb (and its smaller sibling Breeze) from 2C Audio some time back and ever since I've not been remotely tempted by anything else!

Dang, I wish that came in AAX.

It does (though not sure if it did when it was originally reviewed - there have been a number of updates since) :thumbup:

https://2caudio.com/products/aether#_overview

2CAudio Website wrote:Aether is available for VST and AAX hosts under Windows 7, 8, or 10. Both 64-bit and 32-bit versions are provided for all formats.

Aether is available for AU, VST, and AAX hosts under Mac OSX.7 or higher. Both 64-bit and 32-bit versions are provided for all formats. An Intel-based CPU is required for Mac OSX.

Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby scottfreems » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:28 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:
scottfreems wrote:

Dang, I wish that came in AAX

It does (though not sure if it did when it was originally reviewed - there have been a number of updates since) :thumbup:.

https://2caudio.com/products/aether#_overview

2CAudio Website wrote:Aether is available for VST and AAX hosts under Windows 7, 8, or 10. Both 64-bit and 32-bit versions are provided for all formats.

Aether is available for AU, VST, and AAX hosts under Mac OSX.7 or higher. Both 64-bit and 32-bit versions are provided for all formats. An Intel-based CPU is required for Mac OSX.

Sweet! Thanks man!
scottfreems
New here

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:21 pm

Aether is still my 'go-to' reverb, ten years after I reviewed it for SOS as it provides just the right combination of realism and 'creative tweakability':

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/2caudio-aether

I do however occasionally reach for my Altiverb 6 when I'm after a very specific acoustic space, for example to suit a string quartet. Perhaps it's just me, but Altiverb is designed from the ground up to recreate real world environments, rather than someone's impressions of them, so when you know the type of sound you're after and don't want to get bogged down with technicalities, dialing in a selection of Altiverb acoustics just gives me confidence ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Guitarking » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:29 pm

Martin,
I understand you're still working with Altiverb 6 and haven't upgraded to 7? Is there a specific reason why you've chosen not to upgrade to 7?

Thanks!
Guitarking
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:37 pm

No, not really - for me the biggest strength of Altiverb is its vast convolution library, and I've already got hundreds of acoustics downloaded for it. When the next version came out, I simply asked myself whether I was already getting lots of use out of Altiverb 6 (which I am).

I think you summed up my thoughts in your original post, when you asked if the upgrade price of around 200 Euros from v6 to v7 was worth it - I was personally perfectly happy with 6 and its associated library, and haven't felt the urge to upgrade as yet, especially since I use Reaper, and its built-in bridge still works perfectly for 32-bit plug-ins like Altiverb 6.

2C Audio's Aether is still my go-to reverb, but if I found myself unable to use Altiverb 6 at any time for any reason then I'd no doubt upgrade to 7 as a matter of course to get the 64-bit version and all the latest location goodies.

Martin
Martin Walker