You are here

USB interface + Monitors controller for monitor speakers and 250 ohm headphones

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

USB interface + Monitors controller for monitor speakers and 250 ohm headphones

Postby george_vel » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:47 am

Hi everyone and Happy New 2020 Year,

I need your pro advice on the following I have in mind:

My objective is to connect a Windows PC and Adobe Audition DAW to Neumann KH 80 monitors and Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro (250 ohms) for mixing and mastering purposes.
If possible, use USB connectivity from PC and from there the best possbile connectivity to speakers and headphones, i.e. avoid AUX and unbalanced inputs.

Budget limit: 250 - 300 EUR.

Initially I was thinking to have only an USB interface, e.g. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen or 8i6 3rd gen, but it appeared those two won't be able to drive properly an 250 ohms headphones. And there are no stereo/mono, mute, etc. buttons.

Then I looked at monitor controllers, like JBL M-Patch 2 for example, but there is no USB input from PC there.

So, what do you think on the following setup - is it good and is it going to work fine or it looks like overdoing the things and I would get some issues I am currently unaware of:

1. PC to Interface, via USB connectivity - let's say to Scarlett Solo or 2i2 3rd
2. USB Interface to Monitor Controller, via line output jacks to XLR Inputs - let's say to JBL M-Patch 2 for example
3. Monitor Controller to Neumann KH 80 (XLR to XLR) and to the 250 ohms headphones from controller headphone output

The whole setup satisfies allocated budget.

So, what do you think?
Is it going to work or there is something better I can go with?
No need for mic and instrument recording inputs.

Let me know your thoughts :-)
george_vel
Regular

Re: USB interface + Monitors controller for monitor speakers and 250 ohm headphones

Postby ef37a » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:55 am

USB equipped controllers are rare at that price point. One that I have found is...https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-an ... t5EALw_wcB

Don't think there has been a SOS review and the headphone spec' looks a bit feeble into 250 Ohm cans?

But why a monitor controller when, AFAICS you only have one set of speakers*? You would do as well to just get a regular audio interface? The downside to that might again be middling headphone drive but I think some of the very latest AIs have improved on that aspect?

*And bloody good £800 speakers they are so be careful not to 'cheap out' on the rest of the monitoring chain!

I wus wrong! https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/fluid-audio-sri-2

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: USB interface + Monitors controller for monitor speakers and 250 ohm headphones

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:06 pm

I'd take a look at the Audient USB interfaces, and the ID22 in particular should fit your needs pretty well.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:02 pm

As well as the comments above I can categorically state that an 8i6 will happily drive 250Ohm Beyerdynamic headphones - I use 770s and 990s with no problems at all and rarely get past the 12 o'clock position even when listening to solo'd tracks with healthy headroom.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:13 pm

A Zoom U44 (and probably the U24 too) will satisfy most of your requirements apart from the mono button. Most of my headphones are high impedance and it drives them fine. I just use the mono button in Reaper's mixer window when I need to check mono compatibility.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ef37a » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:16 pm

blinddrew wrote:As well as the comments above I can categorically state that an 8i6 will happily drive 250Ohm Beyerdynamic headphones - I use 770s and 990s with no problems at all and rarely get past the 12 o'clock position even when listening to solo'd tracks with healthy headroom.

Is that the new, Gen2 8i6 Drew or the old one like what I got?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby george_vel » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:18 pm

ef37a, yeah, these monitors are d**n good :-)

The reason for this complex settup was that I was not able to find one interface capable to serve all my requirements - usb connectivity to PC, balanced outputs to monitors and enough power to drive 250 ohms headphone.

I was somehow aware that this is not the best solution, that's why I've asked here.

But I think Hugh answered already quite well to my questions - ID22 looks like will serve my requirements and will eliminate the need of such complex chain.

Thanks to all of you, guys - as always you're extremely helpful!
george_vel
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:12 pm

ef37a wrote:
blinddrew wrote:As well as the comments above I can categorically state that an 8i6 will happily drive 250Ohm Beyerdynamic headphones - I use 770s and 990s with no problems at all and rarely get past the 12 o'clock position even when listening to solo'd tracks with healthy headroom.

Dave.
Original one I guess - i think I've probably had it for 10 years maybe?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:27 pm

blinddrew wrote:
ef37a wrote:

Dave.
Original one I guess - i think I've probably had it for 10 years maybe?

Yes, be a mk1. I have one I rarely use which I picked up for a ton from Cash Generators. Does yours run on Win 10? I must try mine on my new Lenovo.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:33 pm

Yep, no probs on win 10. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby george_vel » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:48 pm

ef37a wrote:USB equipped controllers are rare at that price point. One that I have found is...https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-an ... t5EALw_wcB

Don't think there has been a SOS review and the headphone spec' looks a bit feeble into 250 Ohm cans?

But why a monitor controller when, AFAICS you only have one set of speakers*? You would do as well to just get a regular audio interface? The downside to that might again be middling headphone drive but I think some of the very latest AIs have improved on that aspect?

*And bloody good £800 speakers they are so be careful not to 'cheap out' on the rest of the monitoring chain!

I wus wrong! https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/fluid-audio-sri-2

Dave.

BTW, this Fluid device also looks quite promising... Thanks, Dave!
george_vel
Regular