You are here

Why my Reverb sounds so bad?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Why my Reverb sounds so bad?

Postby aviorrok » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:32 pm

Hi,
I try to improve my mixes and I decided to re-learn all of my stock plugins.
So first I try to "control" my reverbs, I set a long decay to and short pre-delay to make sound fat away but the reverb reflections sounds so bad (like the vocal hit a big metal playe) how can I fix it without change decay? (I tried to cut with EQ on 1K-1.2K)

Sample:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H6sQP_ ... sp=sharing

Images of reverb settings:
https://imgur.com/a/12ytUBo
aviorrok
Regular

Re: Why my Reverb sounds so bad?

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:23 pm

aviorrok wrote:Hi,
I set a long decay to and short pre-delay to make sound fat

A long decay is more likely to make it sound muddy tbh. You may find you get a better result using some delay instead of reverb. From the sample you posted it's obviously impossible to hear how it sounds in the mix, but I'd say there's a bit too much reverb on there in general, regardless of how the timbre of the reverb sounds to you.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby MOF » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:24 pm

Try different presets, try rolling off the bass and treble and try shorter reverb times. Also experiment with pre-delay of 30 milliseconds (this isn’t really to make it ‘fat’, it’s to make sure the reverb doesn’t get in the way of the track you’re effecting).
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:56 pm

Yes, you usually want to go thru several different sounds or impulses before finding the one which fits. The predelay amount depends really on the tempo imho, at least that's an approach that works for me.

Also remember that it's quite normal to EQ the reverb return (in other words, place an EQ after the reverb) - and with a well placed LPF or cut you can often remove the metallic overtones if the rest of the reverb is good.

Also, you almost always want early reflections for space - keep them at higher frequency for smaller spaces, at longer distance from each other for larger space. With an IR, you can usually simply look at the waveform peaks (and shorten your response to the ER part only). The decay, with enough predelay, is more useful for individual tracks as an effect.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Kwackman » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:40 pm

These might be worth a look.

https://samplecraze.com/product/creative-effects/
An eBook with audio examples.
The 1st chapter deals with reverb.

Or Mike Senior's book, "Mixing Secrets for the small studio".
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Tim Gillett » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:05 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:

A long decay is more likely to make it sound muddy tbh. You may find you get a better result using some delay instead of reverb. From the sample you posted it's obviously impossible to hear how it sounds in the mix, but I'd say there's a bit too much reverb on there in general, regardless of how the timbre of the reverb sounds to you

I agree. It's at 100% wet. I've never used anything like that amount of reverb. More like 10%.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby jaminem » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:29 am

Tim Gillett wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:

A long decay is more likely to make it sound muddy tbh. You may find you get a better result using some delay instead of reverb. From the sample you posted it's obviously impossible to hear how it sounds in the mix, but I'd say there's a bit too much reverb on there in general, regardless of how the timbre of the reverb sounds to you

I agree. It's at 100% wet. I've never used anything like that amount of reverb. More like 10%.

...It should be 100% wet if he's using it as a send...
If used as an insert then yes, 10% more appropriate
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:43 pm

It’s impossible to give concrete recommendations for obtaining a "good" reverb sound, every song is different, and the context of the sound is very important too.
Also, it’s very hard to get a really bad reverb sound, IMO, unless you make really extreme settings, and even then, they may appropriate.
If I had to say anything, go sparingly, and a separate delay unit in conjunction with a reverb can be very beautiful, just a hint, or an ambiguous hardly there effect can be more emotionally engaging than something that’s blatantly obvious.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:49 pm

Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby CS70 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:56 pm

:lolno:
Arpangel wrote:It’s impossible to give concrete recommendations for obtaining a "good" reverb sound, every song is different, and the context of the sound is very important too..

Tale a Lexicon PCM hall on anything and it will sound good!!

Just kidding. But somehow it is harder with plugins.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Rich Hanson » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:36 pm

For me, the biggest learning experience with respect to reverb was not to use too much of it!

I spent a long time wondering while my music sounded ok in regard to the music but the recording was crap - turned out it was simply because it sounded like it was recorded from the bottom of a particularly reverberant well!

I remember years ago reading an interview about the Penguin Cafe Orchestra. I think that interview was with Steve Nye the producer, who said that Simon Jeffes, the leader of said venerable outfit, would ask for reverb to be added gradually to the mix. As soon as he could actively hear the reverb he would get him to back it off a few dB, which always seemed a good rule of thumb.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby DC-Choppah » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:45 pm

Hi,
how can I fix it without change decay?

Sample:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H6sQP_ ... sp=sharing

Put a side-chain compressor on the reverb return that comes from your vox. Set the attack to 0, set the ratio to something like 1:4 to 1:10 and set the release to something in rythm with the music (16th note for example).

Drop the threshold down until the vox sticks out over the long reverb tails. Basically you are ducking the reverb under your vocal so we can hear her, but then hear the reverb in between her notes. They won't step on each other.

Regarding the metallic sound of the reverb, you have to eq the return to color it the way you want. Put the eq before the side-chain compressor so that your threshold will be reacting to what you hear.

After all that, then drop the reverb return fader down to set the level of the reverb appropriately for the overall mix.

Well, that's what I might do anyway.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster