You are here

Did I mix the vocal reverb properly?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Did I mix the vocal reverb properly?

Postby jbehrmusic » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:56 am

Maybe I have been listening to my song too much, but I feel like the vocal reverb seems a bit washed. Let me know your thoughts, and also the overall mix. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/XArtS16cT4k
jbehrmusic
Poster

Re: Did I mix the vocal reverb properly?

Postby JRocker » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:16 am

I think it sounds great, I actually really like how you've mixed the reverb. All I can suggest is possibly bring the vocal a slightly little more in the mix, as it kind of sounds a little too mixed , if that makes sense. Maybe a bit of EQ or compressor?
JRocker
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:35 pm

I don't have a problem with the vocal reverb, though i might be tempted to duck it a bit, but that snare is distractingly present (my opinion).
Just listened on the laptop and headphones though so doubtless better ears will be along shortly.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:18 am

blinddrew wrote:I don't have a problem with the vocal reverb, though i might be tempted to duck it a bit, but that snare is distractingly present (my opinion).

I agree with Drew - the vocal reverb sounds fine to me, but the snare drum just doesn't sit into the mix at all. It's fine to have the kick drum dry, but personally think the snare needs at least some early reflections to put it into a 'space', and probably a shortish reverb tail as well.

Rest of the track sounds great though!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby James Perrett » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:44 pm

I'd agree that the drums are currently a bit loud. I'd only mix them that loud if I was planning on later using a compressor on the overall mix to give an obvious pumping effect.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby jbehrmusic » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:11 pm

JRocker wrote:I think it sounds great, I actually really like how you've mixed the reverb. All I can suggest is possibly bring the vocal a slightly little more in the mix, as it kind of sounds a little too mixed , if that makes sense. Maybe a bit of EQ or compressor?

Yeah I get what you mean. Maybe a small EQ boost would have helped the vocal pop a bit more.

blinddrew wrote:I don't have a problem with the vocal reverb, though i might be tempted to duck it a bit, but that snare is distractingly present (my opinion).
Just listened on the laptop and headphones though so doubtless better ears will be along shortly.

Yeah unfortunately, I made this beat 3 years ago. And my PC (windows) crashed, and I never was able to retrieve that file. Luckily I had a semi-mixed rendered version of it. But it was far from finish, as far as mixing goes. I tried to work with it the best I could, but I agree with you. Some elements of the drums were too loud, especially the snare and hi-hats.

Martin Walker wrote:I agree with Drew - the vocal reverb sounds fine to me, but the snare drum just doesn't sit into the mix at all. It's fine to have the kick drum dry, but personally think the snare needs at least some early reflections to put it into a 'space', and probably a shortish reverb tail as well.

Agree. As I said to drew, I was pretty limited in what I could do with the drums. The beat was rendered as its own track, so if I were to lower the snare or add reverb to it, it would affect the entire beat.

James Perrett wrote:I'd agree that the drums are currently a bit loud. I'd only mix them that loud if I was planning on later using a compressor on the overall mix to give an obvious pumping effect.

Agree x3 ! Haha. I appreciate all of your feedback, and you all pretty much read my mind about the drums. Especially since I knew from the start that were probably going to be problems with the drum track on some level, since I created it 3 years ago and only did a very basic mixdown of them once.
jbehrmusic
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:37 pm

jbehrmusic wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:I agree with Drew - the vocal reverb sounds fine to me, but the snare drum just doesn't sit into the mix at all. It's fine to have the kick drum dry, but personally think the snare needs at least some early reflections to put it into a 'space', and probably a shortish reverb tail as well.

Agree. As I said to drew, I was pretty limited in what I could do with the drums. The beat was rendered as its own track, so if I were to lower the snare or add reverb to it, it would affect the entire beat.

Aha! Now I suspect we can get round this, with a carefully tuned side-chain gate, so that the reverb only kicks in each time you get a snare hit, but ignores the rest.

Or you could (a bit more tedious, but perfectly do-able), clone the drum track, auto-chop it into beats, then delete all but the snare beats. Finally, run this track into your chosen reverb and... ...hey presto, you've got a new rack containing just snare reverb to taste ;)

Martin

isolate the snare beats by
Martin Walker