You are here

Music production short courses at Goldsmiths

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Music production short courses at Goldsmiths

Postby jellyjim » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:10 am

Morning

Does anybody have any experience of the music production short courses at Goldsmiths? It's a great university with a world class reputation in the arts. Costs/schedules vary but typically they're 20 or so hours over 8-10 weeks at up to £325. Many are taught by a chap called Mariano Nunez-West who upon Googling appears to have sound academic and industry credentials.

For example

https://www.gold.ac.uk/short-courses/music-production/

Obviously there are many ways to skin the cat but I tend to respond well to taught short courses. I find the real-time, face to face aspect of it beneficial as you can clarify your understanding as you go but then again ... I do know there are some horror shows out there under the guise of 'music education'

Jim
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Re: Music production short courses at Goldsmiths

Postby Kwackman » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:25 pm

I've no experience of that course, but it might be worth looking at what Zukan and (I think) the Elf offer in courses, if they are within travelling distance.
Their "One to one" tutorials would probably be better, with the lessons being tuned (terrible pun, apologies!) to take into account what you already know.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby blinddrew » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:23 pm

What Kwackman said!
General courses are probably good for getting started, but if you've got a bit of time under your belt already then 1:1 tuition is likely to give you more bang for you buck. I've not had the pleasure of lessons from Zukan (though I have bought some of his online content/books) but I did lob some cash at The Elf a couple of years ago and found it very valuable.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:39 pm

blinddrew wrote:I've not had the pleasure of lessons from Zukan

I've not (yet) had the pleasure of studio time with The Elf but I can vouch for Eddie - I didn't exactly have lessons as such, but have done several mixing sessions with him and learned a huge amount in the process.

One track in particular was a real challenge in places and Eddie showed me how to analyse/deconstruct everything that was going on in the mix, then put it back together again but in a way that sounded massively better than before.

He also involved my ears heavily in the process as he got me to A/B more submixes than I can remember so that the result was sympathetic to my tastes while meeting the engineering requirements as well.

I also learned a great deal about how to use my EQ plugins effectively when working in my own space in order to avoid pitfalls later on. Stuff like notching out frequencies in various tracks to let them sit together and retain clarity, tricks with modulation of cutoffs to give reverb more 'life', a lot of low-end mojo ...

... I could go on but I'm sure you get the idea. He makes a great cuppa too!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Mixedup » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:52 pm

I went to a short course at Goldsmiths nearly two decades ago, and it was decent enough... but I don't suppose that's much help to you! :headbang:

One thing I would say is that such courses can be a great way to meet like-minded people who are reasonably local...
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:35 pm

Mixedup wrote:One thing I would say is that such courses can be a great way to meet like-minded people who are reasonably local...
True, there's a definite value to that; especially in a niche pastime like this one.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby jellyjim » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:41 pm

Thanks all

I think a syllabus/structured course would suit me better first as I feel I don't even know what I don't know, if that makes sense. Tailor made one-to-one would be awesome once I had some questions born of "hours at the coal face" so to speak.
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby blinddrew » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:57 am

Makes sense, you're the one who knows what works for you. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby The Bunk » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:59 am

+1 for a 1-1 from me. I spent an hour or so with one of the guys from this site (one of the Moderators no less) and learnt a great deal; if you can do it that way I would highly recommend it.
That said, my memories of Goldsmiths College back in the 1980s when my Uni football team gatecrashed their Student Union was that a a good 90% of the female students there were, um, extremely pleasing on the eye, so I wouldn't rule that option out altogether.
The Bunk
Frequent Poster