You are here

What's the most time-consuming part of your post workflow?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

What's the most time-consuming part of your post workflow?

Postby MiguelTanhi » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:52 pm

Hey! I've worked in the industry for a few years - i've read MANY posts on SOS but this is my first time posting. :thumbup:

I mostly record/engineer live shows, podcasts, and vocal recordings, but also dabble in radio and film. In all these fields, the post-production workflow is very similar, at least in terms of "cleaning up" the audio.

Depending on the project, I can have anywhere from 20-100+ clips that all need to go through noise reduction, EQ, normalization, dereverb etc. and they all have specific parameters that need to be factored in depending on the speaker's voice and recording conditions. Noise reduction, alone, can take 5 minutes per clip if there's not an obvious and adequate gap to pull a noise-sample from.

Other than online services/outsourcing - have y'all found any programs that will automate the workflow inside of audition? (...ex: Levelator)

What is the longest step in your post production workflow?

What plugins have helped you speed up your process most?

***Note*** I do most of my editing in Audition (on both win10prox64 and osx) and use a variety of open source plugins, as well as several made by Waves.
MiguelTanhi

Re: What's the most time-consuming part of your post workflow?

Postby MOF » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:37 am

20-100+ clips that all need to go through noise reduction, EQ, normalization, dereverb etc. and they all have specific parameters that need to be factored in depending on the speaker's voice and recording conditions

It sounds like (excuse the pun) that these projects don’t employ sound recordists and boom operators.
When I worked on dramas we did retakes when there were intrusive noises on a take and the sound recordist would go on a production recce to give advice on potential problems.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Zukan » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:12 am

I spend more time cleaning stems than actual mixing. Some tasks can be automated but generally, I prefer to take each stem on merit rather than apply some broad stroke processing.
Zukan

Postby Arpangel » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:57 am

Going through and manually reducing peaks, using the envelope editor,, it takes forever. Can’t think of a plug-in that can do that for me. I hate it.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:04 pm

I spend the most time on getting tracks in time and in tune. Cubase's VariAudio has taken a lot of the pain out of this, but it still takes a lot of time and effort.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Folderol » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:21 pm

Depends:
For collabs, it's mostly shuffling timings, A couple of people send me audio that doesn't have a fixed cadence (no click or drum sync). That can be tough to add too :(

For my own purely soft-synth work (that is held as MIDI in a sequencer), it's mostly adjusting sounds after putting at all together. I try and spread the spectrum and positioning so different tracks don't step on each other.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby blinddrew » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:27 pm

Arpangel wrote:Going through and manually reducing peaks, using the envelope editor,, it takes forever. Can’t think of a plug-in that can do that for me. I hate it.
Have you tried GClip?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby blinddrew » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:29 pm

I think the most time consuming bit for me is auditioning takes. I'm yet to find a way round that!
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby DC-Choppah » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:28 pm

MiguelTanhi wrote:
What plugins have helped you speed up your process most?[/b]

ProTools Beat Detective (the whole multi-step 'alignment to a human played groove' and auto-editing process while used across groups of tracks simultaneously).
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:49 pm

Is something similar included or available for Reaper? I don't like working to a click.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Arpangel » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:07 am

blinddrew wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Going through and manually reducing peaks, using the envelope editor,, it takes forever. Can’t think of a plug-in that can do that for me. I hate it.
Have you tried GClip?

Thank you, I’ll check it out.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:28 pm

I'm still on the fence about clippers.

I had an application last year when they seemed the perfect candidate - a plug-in that sounded great once you got audio peaks up to around -2dBFS, but broke up in a nasty way once they got to 0dBFS.

I was attempting to trim the peaks off a upright string bass line so that I could manage -2 without getting to 0, and the GClip worked well.

However, when I found another way round the 'so near but not over the top' level issue, I tried switching GClip in and out. I could hear how it changed the sound, and in my case the string bass sounded significantly more natural without its attack transients removed, so I deleted GClip in the project.

On the other hand, for those indulging more in sound design I can see clippers being very useful as a design tool, so you can get higher levels without the sound feeling too 'pushed'.

I suppose I'm still wary of chopping the tops off waveforms in search of ever more level, and prefer to manually round off the odd stray peak with a pencil tool for arguably more natural results :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby blinddrew » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:59 pm

Indeed, it's a good tool but it's not going to fix everything and you still need to use your ears! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:20 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Is something similar included or available for Reaper? I don't like working to a click.

Dont know Reaper, but Cakewalk has Autosnap which does a similar job to ProTools' beat detective - it's a timing editor which detect beats and then allows you either use them or move them around.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby The Elf » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:07 am

GClip is quite benign, and I usually find it more transparent than any manual trickery, but it's not the only way. I tend to use it either on the mix bus, or on the drum group, but rarely on much else.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:07 pm

The problem with signal clipping in the digital domain -- whether intentional or not -- is that it creates a huge string of harmonics, almost all of which are 'illegal' as they extend beyond half the sample rate. So these all need to be meticulously removed with anti-aliasing filtering within the plugin to avoid allowing aliasing distortions to creep in and affect the tonality of the sound you're processing. I note GClip has an 2x oversample mode, which will certainly help, but you may still notice a tonal character change due to added aliasing components.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby blinddrew » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:43 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:The problem with signal clipping in the digital domain -- whether intentional or not -- is that it creates a huge string of harmonics, almost all of which are 'illegal' as they extend beyond half the sample rate. So these all need to be meticulously removed with anti-aliasing filtering within the plugin to avoid allowing aliasing distortions to creep in and affect the tonality of the sound you're processing. I note GClip has an 2x oversample mode, which will certainly help, but you may still notice a tonal character change due to added aliasing components.
Indeed, it's particularly obvious on spoken word. Frequently that's an acceptable price to pay for the speed / loudness benefits though. It all depends on your medium and your standards! :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:54 pm

MiguelTanhi wrote:What is the longest step in your post production workflow?

Driving up to Eddie Bazil's gaff so he can make my mix sound good ;)

Seriously though, for me it is mixing (assuming that falls into the definition of 'post-production' - I don't mix other than rough levelling when I'm creating). I currently struggle due to lack of a decent environment. Headphones help but I vastly prefer a good room and having a treated space is priceless as I've found out via both Eddie and Martin's studios.

I say "currently". There are grand plans afoot. After deciding the room I'm in is simply not big enough I've traded it with my wife.

I'm talking to builders about having the loft converted to a 9 x 6m space after which I'll be treating it, which should solve a lot of my problems. Max has minor reservations but I've been in touch with him as well, and I will be taking his advice on board to minimise the inevitable compromises that come with doing this in a domestic space.

My wife gets an open-plan kitchen/dining room double the size it currently is as my home office and synth collection will be out of the way. I'll benefit too ... I cook regularly-ish.

Wallet is cowering in the corner, but I'll make it work somehow. I'm relatively competent with tools and woodworking/basic construction so I've already spoken to the builders about having me do as much as possible myself to reduce the cost and they seem fine with that.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:39 pm

IME for spoken and sung voice- Quiet Arts Vocal Rider is spot on 75% of the time. But I only do a hobbyist level of mixing. No podcasts.

oeksound soothe is amazing. Saves a lot of time faffing around with eq.

oeksound spiff looks like it might be more than a simple clipper. I haven't tried it, but it might solve problems for people here? If it's as good as soothe, it's a winner.

Sam Spoons wrote:Is something similar included or available for Reaper? I don't like working to a click.
Melodyne with ARA2 I would think? I use Melodyne a lot for this, but in Pro Tools which doesn't have ARA2 integration. So I use Melodyne Studio. It's annoying having to export something, then find in PT that something needs tweaking and going back and re-exporting.

But Melodyne is very very good and finding the tempo of a multitrack. IME about 60% of the time it nails it without you having to tell it anything. Other times, it takes a few goes doing things like ignoring the drummer, or ignoring the guitarist as the the tempo ref, and selectively straightening the tempo in verses/ chorusses and leaving in the odd few bars of rubato in between.

But... it all goes to a click in the end :)
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:04 pm

If I could hear GClip working I would consider I'm overusing it - if it clips more than one or two samples over a twenty second window I'm backing it off!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Next