You are here

Tannoy Chatsworth loudspeaker advice!

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Tannoy Chatsworth loudspeaker advice!

Postby flashymb » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:47 pm

Hello, i have been keeping my eyes on these Tannoys for sale on fleabay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tannoy-Chatsworth-speakers-with-original-HPD-315-8-drivers/153833023418?hash=item23d129a7ba:g:c8IAAOSwJFVeRwYN
Does anybody have an opinion comparing these for studio monitoring to items such as active studio monitors which are for sale today? I find that the low end on some studio monitors not enough, and the cabinets tend to sound very dull, i am wondering whether some classic speakers would sound nicer?

Thank you!
flashymb

Re: Tannoy Chatsworth loudspeaker advice!

Postby Logarhythm » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:47 pm

I've got a soft spot for big old Tannoys.
Whether they're the right tool is another question.
Studio monitors aren't really supposed to sound good (or bad) - they are generally aiming to present music accurately, so if the music is well recorded/produced/mixed/mastered it sounds good, but otherwise they should allow you to hear flaws so you can do something about it.

The Chatsworths aren't small, so not something you're likely to use for nearfield monitoring, and you'd likely also want to consider if your room is set up to deal with the potential low frequency issues you may suffer with a speaker that goes as low as I think these do.

For a nice speaker for hifi use I'd happily consider them. For a near field monitor in a studio I'd look at e.g. Neumann KH120s instead, and suspect you'll comfortably get a pair of them for what the actual final price of the Tannoys is likely to be.
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby The Elf » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:57 pm

I would be very wary of old Tannoys. They were good in their day, but the speaker surrounds rotted away and many are to be found badly bodged.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby flashymb » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:01 pm

Thank you very much for the advice both.

I think i will go ahead and place a bid and see how it goes, i feel i would much rather something designed by an oldie man working in a speaker design factory rather than a computer!!
flashymb

Postby James Perrett » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:11 pm

I would have liked to be able to see the front of those drivers to see how well the refoaming had been done. I use larger Tannoys of a similar age and like them. Some people say that the HPD drivers have a slightly recessed mid-range compared to the earlier and later versions but I find I can hear what I'm doing very well with them and, being dual concentric, the stereo imaging is very precise.

I would guess that those speakers are going to go for quite a bit more than the current price and you'll probably find a pair of Neumann KH120's work out cheaper - and just as usable.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby James Perrett » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:20 pm

flashymb wrote:i feel i would much rather something designed by an oldie man working in a speaker design factory rather than a computer!!

I have a vague memory of Tannoy ads at the time saying that the pepperpot waveguide on the HPD's was the result of computer modelling - so you'll have to go for something even older if you don't want computers involved. The cone stiffening struts may also have been the result of computer testing too.
James Perrett

Postby John Willett » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:01 pm

flashymb wrote:Thank you very much for the advice both.

I think i will go ahead and place a bid and see how it goes, i feel i would much rather something designed by an oldie man working in a speaker design factory rather than a computer!!

Bidding has now ended - did you get them?
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Arpangel » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:46 am

I would never buy anything like this without at least seeing the drivers, especially for this sort of money.
I had a pair of Tannoy Cheviots, they looked in very good condition, but I had to have some work done on the drivers, the voice coils were out of alignment and we’re making a rubbing/buzzing sound, but only on certain types of music, and frequencies, you have to tread very carefully, and actually, if a speaker like this hasn’t had work done on it I’d walk away, simple as that. And I would never buy anything like this from EBay, unless it was for a rock bottom price, and these aren’t that, by any means,
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby James Perrett » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:17 pm

Arpangel wrote:And I would never buy anything like this from EBay, unless it was for a rock bottom price, and these aren’t that, by any means,

The nice thing about HPD drivers is that they are easily serviceable. The bass cone can be removed from the basket by undoing a few screws. Admittedly refitting it again is a little more tricky as it has to be centered fairly precisely but it isn't that difficult. In your case it either sounds like the cone wasn't centered properly when it was fitted or the HF coil was touching the magnet. Again, the HF diaphragm can be easily removed if needed.

Spares seem to be fairly easily available so I'd be happy buying another pair of vintage Tannoys provided the price was sensible and reflected any work that needed doing.
James Perrett

Postby Arpangel » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:11 am

James Perrett wrote:
Arpangel wrote:And I would never buy anything like this from EBay, unless it was for a rock bottom price, and these aren’t that, by any means,

The nice thing about HPD drivers is that they are easily serviceable. The bass cone can be removed from the basket by undoing a few screws. Admittedly refitting it again is a little more tricky as it has to be centered fairly precisely but it isn't that difficult. In your case it either sounds like the cone wasn't centered properly when it was fitted or the HF coil was touching the magnet. Again, the HF diaphragm can be easily removed if needed.

Spares seem to be fairly easily available so I'd be happy buying another pair of vintage Tannoys provided the price was sensible and reflected any work that needed doing.

I gave up on buying secondhand speakers, and microphones, too many potential problems.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)