You are here

Older ears and cymbal mixing trouble

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Older ears and cymbal mixing trouble

Postby forumuser641699 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:48 pm

I think I have pretty good ears still being in my mid 40's but having worked with some clients in their 60's I'm always amazed how they can't hear cymbals and shakers. Seems to be a common problem for us guys as we age.
These days I just do my own thing as a hobby but it occurred to me that I wouldn't know if my hearing had gone the same way, I'd be mixing the cymbals too high. I live alone and don't really want to bother people to check mixes for me. Just wondered if there was a software solution to alert me if my levels are way out?
forumuser641699
New here

Re: Older ears and cymbal mixing trouble

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:10 pm

How about getting your hearing checked? Then you'll know.......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:14 pm

Old guy here - with high frequency down to about 11k. I use software meters to confirm and a younger friend to double check my hi freqs. But even when I had better hearing shakers, hihats and cymbals were always tough to get to sit right.
I’m looking for any good tips too!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:35 pm

I had an old rack/jazz dude n the studio a couple of years back. "More tambourine! More tambourine! I can't hear it!". Meanwhile the rest of us were clutching our ears... :headbang: :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:47 am

It's always useful to compare your mix with high quality commercial material in a similar genre.

I often compare hi-hat/cymbal levels in my mixes to others for this very reason, and keep an eye in the spectrum analyser on that top octave from 10kHz to 20kHz that may be inaudible to we oldies.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:28 am

The Elf wrote:I had an old rack/jazz dude n the studio a couple of years back. "More tambourine! More tambourine! I can't hear it!". Meanwhile the rest of us were clutching our ears... :headbang: :lol:

Loading in tracks from another composer. What the heck, one must be corrupt but I can see the meters moving. Call him up - what’s on this track? I can see the meters moving. I can see a waveform. All my faders are good, nothing is muted, nothing else solo’d.
Oh, wind chimes
:wtf:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:54 am

The only reliable way around this is to get someone to sit in on your mastering sessions, someone younger who's judgement you trust. I did this many years ago for an older friend, and it helped save the day a few times.
But I’m old too, and my ears are 11 k tops. Also, I’ve always avoided standing next to drum kits and going to loud concerts, depends what music you make/record, if this an issue or not. I find that if I stand next to a drum kit within about 2 minutes my ears are completely shot, how on earth can drummers, or engineers, survive that on a regular basis, it can’t do their hearing any good whatsoever, understatement.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Postby James Perrett » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:38 pm

As a youngster in the 80's I was always surprised at how often I heard 15kHz whine on commercial recordings - probably from TV monitors in various studio devices. Of course nowadays there is no way that I can hear it but it helps to keep a spectrum analyser window open just to check.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page