You are here

Audio Interface Headphone preamp question

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Audio Interface Headphone preamp question

Postby GraemeUK » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:04 pm

My audio interface's headphone preamp isnt strong enough for my headset can i run the headphone output into a proper preamp from the interface and then into my headphones?
GraemeUK
New here

Re: Audio Interface Headphone preamp question

Postby Kwackman » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:15 pm

Those who are good at this sort of thing will hopefully be along shortly.....
But it'll help them if you give the make/model of the interface and headphones you have.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby GraemeUK » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:16 am

Kwackman wrote:Those who are good at this sort of thing will hopefully be along shortly.....
But it'll help them if you give the make/model of the interface and headphones you have.

I have the Behringer umc204hd and the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohms and i want to know if i can buy an amp and plug it into the headphone output of the umc204hd and then plug my headset into the amp
GraemeUK
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:23 am

The sinmple answer is yes... assuming the headphone amp will accept the stereo unbalanced output from the headphone socket... Alternative connection strategies are available...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby GraemeUK » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:56 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:The sinmple answer is yes... assuming the headphone amp will accept the stereo unbalanced output from the headphone socket... Alternative connection strategies are available...

The amp takes RCA as input so if i buy a RCA to Trs 1/4 jack and i connect it between the amp and the interface will it work?
GraemeUK
New here

Postby GraemeUK » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:57 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:The sinmple answer is yes... assuming the headphone amp will accept the stereo unbalanced output from the headphone socket... Alternative connection strategies are available...
And also will i need to buy a DAC? I will be using the Loxjie P20 headphone amp
GraemeUK
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:21 pm

GraemeUK wrote:The amp takes RCA as input so if i buy a RCA to Trs 1/4 jack and i connect it between the amp and the interface will it work?

Quarter inch TRS plug to ~dual~ RCA-phono plug.

Or, if you're not using the main balanced line outputs on the Behringer interface, you could take advantage of the headphone amp's balanced inputs by using two TRS to male XLR cables.

And no, you don't need a separate DAC -- the Behringer interface is a DAC.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ef37a » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:54 pm

I had a 204HD for a time (gave it to son) and yes, their outputs are pretty feeble although I did not think the H/P level was any worse than a lot of AIs include my otherwise superb NI KA6?

The problem is not really 'raw power' but lack of internal gain*.
When the signal is around -10dB fs or above, no problem but if you are tracking at neg 20 (as one should), wimpy.

The simplest solution is a headphone amplifier. The Behringer HA400 is clean and quiet, it uses the same chips as a much more expensive amp and it delivers 4 stereo outputs, handy if a mate comes to jam? Around £20 here.

*Odd becuase gain costs nothing? Just a resistor value although I do tend to detct the dead hand of the nanny state in there?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster