You are here

Best tight Budget Studio Monitor $400 max

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Best tight Budget Studio Monitor $400 max

Postby Nickalpha » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:04 am

Hey Guys i am from Jamaica and i am very thankful to be apart of this forum. I am about to setup a home studio strictly for mixing serious mixing but i would like to hear from you guys what would be a good studio monitor to start out with something to do serious mixing on. I am working on Hip hop, R&B, Reggae, and Gospel. I love to hear you guys comments thanks much.
Nickalpha
Poster

Re: Best tight Budget Studio Monitor $400 max

Postby Arpangel » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:28 am

This is a subject that will have many opinions and viewpoints, but IMO for $400 you want the best bang for the buck, the Behringer 3031, I have a pair and they are really good for the money, lots of detail, and a decent bass, not harsh at all.
Another thing to consider is the Presonus Eris range, I’d start with listening to these two manufacturers first, but there are loads of options, and at the end of the day it’s what you prefer, but these speakers are a good starting point.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:01 am

Hi Nickalpha and welcome.

If you haven't already done so search the mag and forums for 'acoustic treatment'. Whether your budget for monitors is $400 or $4000 they will not work as the designer intended in an untreated room. I know from personal experience that acoustic treatment makes a huge difference as I refurbished my own home studio a couple of years ago and the improvement from a few foam tiles scattered around the place to properly thought out acoustic panels is night and day.

edit :- Some of those genres depend on significant bass, budget monitors (and small rooms) do not work with loud, low bass so budget for some good headphones too.

HTH
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby John Egan » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:06 am

Nickalpha wrote:Hey Guys i am from Jamaica and i am very thankful to be apart of this forum. I am about to setup a home studio strictly for mixing serious mixing but i would like to hear from you guys what would be a good studio monitor to start out with something to do serious mixing on. I am working on Hip hop, R&B, Reggae, and Gospel. I love to hear you guys comments thanks much.

I have been very impressed with the IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitors. Paul White reviewed them here

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ik ... loud-micro

They won't impress anyone with their appearance, but they are very clear and detailed in the midrange.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Zukan » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:05 pm

John Egan wrote:
Nickalpha wrote:Hey Guys i am from Jamaica and i am very thankful to be apart of this forum. I am about to setup a home studio strictly for mixing serious mixing but i would like to hear from you guys what would be a good studio monitor to start out with something to do serious mixing on. I am working on Hip hop, R&B, Reggae, and Gospel. I love to hear you guys comments thanks much.

I have been very impressed with the IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitors. Paul White reviewed them here

They won't impress anyone with their appearance, but they are very clear and detailed in the midrange.
Regards, John

Just got a pair for one of my students and was surprised at how they actually are.
Zukan

Postby CS70 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:15 pm

What Sam says. Understand that monitors are just a part of monitoring :-), the other being the room.

So whatever’s your budget , split it in two and dedicate half to room treatment.

John and I both like the iLouds, in a good room they will treat you well.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Nickalpha » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:58 pm

Arpangel wrote:This is a subject that will have many opinions and viewpoints, but IMO for $400 you want the best bang for the buck, the Behringer 3031, I have a pair and they are really good for the money, lots of detail, and a decent bass, not harsh at all.
Another thing to consider is the Presonus Eris range, I’d start with listening to these two manufacturers first, but there are loads of options, and at the end of the day it’s what you prefer, but these speakers are a good starting point.
Hey Arpange Thanks a lot for your reply Never heard of the Behringer 3031 will definitely give them a look. i heard the Presonus Eris a bit of bump in the low mids.
Nickalpha
Poster

Postby Nickalpha » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:00 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Hi Nickalpha and welcome.

If you haven't already done so search the mag and forums for 'acoustic treatment'. Whether your budget for monitors is $400 or $4000 they will not work as the designer intended in an untreated room. I know from personal experience that acoustic treatment makes a huge difference as I refurbished my own home studio a couple of years ago and the improvement from a few foam tiles scattered around the place to properly thought out acoustic panels is night and day.

edit :- Some of those genres depend on significant bass, budget monitors (and small rooms) do not work with loud, low bass so budget for some good headphones too.

HTH
Hey Sam Spoon thanks a lot for your reply i do have a budget for room treatment. Also doing some reading as well. Thanks much for your reply and i will put a lot into room treatment.
Nickalpha
Poster

Postby Nickalpha » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:02 pm

Zukan wrote:
John Egan wrote:

Regards, John

Just got a pair for one of my students and was surprised at how they actually are.
Thanks Much Zukan i will give them a Try.
Nickalpha
Poster

Postby Nickalpha » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:03 pm

John Egan wrote:

Regards, John
Thanks much John Egan i will give them a try
Nickalpha
Poster

Postby Nickalpha » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:05 pm

CS70 wrote:What Sam says. Understand that monitors are just a part of monitoring :-), the other being the room.

So whatever’s your budget , split it in two and dedicate half to room treatment.

John and I both like the iLouds, in a good room they will treat you well.
Thanks Much C570 I will. Room treatment is very important and will give the ilouds a listen
Nickalpha
Poster

Postby Nickalpha » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:09 pm

Would you guys consider the Kali Lp 6s?
Nickalpha
Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:46 am

Nickalpha wrote:
Arpangel wrote:This is a subject that will have many opinions and viewpoints, but IMO for $400 you want the best bang for the buck, the Behringer 3031, I have a pair and they are really good for the money, lots of detail, and a decent bass, not harsh at all.
Hey Arpange Thanks a lot for your reply Never heard of the Behringer 3031 will definitely give them a look. i heard the Presonus Eris a bit of bump in the low mids.

I never noticed the bump "in my room" but there you go, the room plays a big part.
I had the Eris 8's, and I thought they had a well balanced sound, the Behringers just get on with it, and have quite a bit of detail for their price. They also have the benefit of a nice sounding ribbon tweeter.
The i Louds aren't bad, but I thought they sounded a bit peaky in some areas, and drew my attention to them all the time.
I have a massive pair of 1970’s transmission line speakers for my main monitors, the Behringers I use in my basement, and considering there’s no room treatment there, they sound very good.
As I said, lots of opinions, and great records are made on all sorts of unlikely things, you just have to use your ears, and get what "you" like, and feel comfortable with.
Unless you spend large amounts of cash, transparency and a relatively uncoloured sound isn’t going to be possible in reality.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby John Willett » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:05 pm

Arpangel wrote:Unless you spend large amounts of cash, transparency and a relatively uncoloured sound isn’t going to be possible in reality.

Agreed - I used to put a £1k lower limit on studio monitors.

My small ones are around £2k and my larger ones are around £10k - but they do sound the same (except for the bottom end) and are uncoloured, accurate and trustworthy.

BUT - always something to remember - microphones and monitors are mature technology and last years (decades), so getting the very best you can afford is always the best way to go.

If you buy microphones and monitors wisely, you won't have to buy again (I have microphones that I bought new about 35 years ago - they are still in current production and now about x5 the price that I paid for them originally).

The items to be careful with is anything that is "computer" based as it has a very short life before it goes out of date and you have to buy again.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby James Perrett » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:26 pm

While I've now decided that I'm not really in the market for new monitors for my new home setup (I've put the NS10's in the studio and put the LS3/5a's in the home), I'd still be interested in hearing the new small Tannoy Golds which are in this price range.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Next