You are here

Best tight Budget Studio Monitor $400 max

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Best tight Budget Studio Monitor $400 max

Postby John Willett » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:52 pm

James Perrett wrote:While I've now decided that I'm not really in the market for new monitors for my new home setup (I've put the NS10's in the studio and put the LS3/5a's in the home), I'd still be interested in hearing the new small Tannoy Golds which are in this price range.

Just take the LS3/5a into the studio when you need them. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby James Perrett » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:45 pm

John Willett wrote:Just take the LS3/5a into the studio when you need them. :thumbup:

They weren't being used that much because, just like the small monitors that you mentioned, they give a similar perspective to my big monitors but with less bass. I still don't really understand the attraction of NS10's but they're now available if a studio client wants them.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Arpangel » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:26 am

James Perrett wrote:
John Willett wrote:Just take the LS3/5a into the studio when you need them. :thumbup:

They weren't being used that much because, just like the small monitors that you mentioned, they give a similar perspective to my big monitors but with less bass. I still don't really understand the attraction of NS10's but they're now available if a studio client wants them.

I picked up a pair of LS3/5a's in a secondhand shop for £3 :blush: the Rogers ones, in mint condition.
I thought great! I’ll use these as monitors, but I couldn’t get on with them, a bit "plummy" and a tendency to congested bass on complex music. And speech wasn’t as good as on my Acoustic Research AR3. The LS3/5a can be nice though, on some material.
I like NS10’s, they were a revelation in my previous untreated room, very tolerant of dodgy acoustics, and great for mixing on.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby John Willett » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:28 am

Arpangel wrote:
James Perrett wrote:

I picked up a pair of LS3/5a's in a secondhand shop for £3 :blush: the Rogers ones, in mint condition.
I thought great! I’ll use these as monitors, but I couldn’t get on with them, a bit "plummy" and a tendency to congested bass on complex music. And speech wasn’t as good as on my Acoustic Research AR3. The LS3/5a can be nice though, on some material.
I like NS10’s, they were a revelation in my previous untreated room, very tolerant of dodgy acoustics, and great for mixing on.

I remember, back in the 1970s, when I was working for REW in London...

I had a pair of Rogers LS3/5a on tall stands - properly set up away from the wall - and people could not believe the quality of the sound that came from those tiny loudspeakers and everyone thought the sound came from something much larger.

Strange the things you remember over 40 years later...
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Logarhythm » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:14 pm

No idea what availability is like in Jamaica, but over here you'd pick up a 2nd hand pair of Acoustic Energy AE22s within that budget - for what it's worth I've been very impressed with mine.
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby James Perrett » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:02 pm

John Willett wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I picked up a pair of LS3/5a's in a secondhand shop for £3 :blush: the Rogers ones, in mint condition.

I remember, back in the 1970s, when I was working for REW in London...

I had a pair of Rogers LS3/5a on tall stands - properly set up away from the wall - and people could not believe the quality of the sound that came from those tiny loudspeakers and everyone thought the sound came from something much larger.

Strange the things you remember over 40 years later...

Yes, the LS3/5a's can sound plummy as they have a bit of a hump in the 120-150Hz region but I've just plonked them on top of the Kef Celeste III's that I was using before and the bass hump seems very well controlled and the bass sounds more extended than the much larger Celestes. While this means they're a bit above ear height, I'm loathed to move them as they're sounding so good where they are.

NS10's seem to be a bit polarising - plenty of people find them useful but, after using LS3/5a's for a similar purpose, I just can't get on with them.
James Perrett

Postby blinddrew » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:06 pm

Getting vaguely back on topic, the Kalis are definitely worth a listen, as are the new budget range from Adam (T5V). I'm not too keen on them but it would be worth looking at the JBL 306 as well.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby SecretSam » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:18 am

Mr Senior, batchelor of this parish, often recommends mixcubes at this price point, with phones to hear the bass. Does anyone else have Views on the subject?
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby dickiefunk » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:35 am

I’ve been really impressed with the JBL LSR305’s so I’d definitely take a look at that range.
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster
http://www.richardpenrose.com

Postby The Elf » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:41 am

James Perrett wrote:I still don't really understand the attraction of NS10's but they're now available if a studio client wants them.
They want to *see* them, but I can guarantee nobody ever asks about using them. I've not switched on my NS10s for years, but they get admiring comments every time.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby James Perrett » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:08 pm

The Elf wrote:
James Perrett wrote:I still don't really understand the attraction of NS10's but they're now available if a studio client wants them.
They want to *see* them, but I can guarantee nobody ever asks about using them. I've not switched on my NS10s for years, but they get admiring comments every time.

When I used to use them regularly they caused more problems than they solved (mainly down to people not being able to interpret what they heard from them). The LS3/5a's are much better (you don't need to train the clients to use them first).
James Perrett

Postby Nickalpha » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:30 pm

Thanks to everyone for your replies It as been a pleasure hearing from everyone. I have decided and i am ordering the Kali Lp 6s. This Is my new start and will upgrade along the way thanks again guys
Nickalpha
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:35 am

Good luck Nick, i'm sure you'll enjoy them. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Nickalpha » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:13 am

blinddrew wrote:Good luck Nick, i'm sure you'll enjoy them. :thumbup:
Thanks much blinddrew i will keep ypu guys posted on the purchase and how things turn out
Nickalpha
Poster

Previous