You are here

Faderport 8/16 - need a small favor from fellow users

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Faderport 8/16 - need a small favor from fellow users

Postby Airon » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:43 pm

What happened
I've been using the Faderport 16 for over a year on dialogue mixes, usually non-overlapping stuff but I've noticed a serious problem, and I need to find out if its just my unit or not.

If a fader on my unit is moving due to volume automation, recording volume automation with any other fader results in the image I've attached to this post.

This is likely to be noticable only on quicker movements of the fader, which as a dialogue mixer can happen a lot.

It essentially means the unit sends out less data, seemingly truncating it both in time and data range.

I've confirmed this behaviour in Reaper, Studio One and Ableton Live. I've included screenshots of the volume automation in those three DAWs. Protools 11.3.1 unfortunately does not work at all with this units HUI mode.

I've already excluded USB connection issues, power supply troubles and system update issues(with the help of Presonus support).

Three images of volume automation recordings from the Faderport 16 for Reaper 6, Ableton Live 10 and Studio One 4 :
https://imgur.com/a/aymvkaT

What am I asking of you, Faderport 8 / 16 users ?

Please record a few seconds of fast fader moves as volume automation on two tracks. First pass on one of the tracks, second pass overlapping the first on a different track while the first tracks volume automation is played back on one of the faders of the Faderport unit

Make a screenshot of the volume envelopes you've recorded and attach it to your reply in this thread. Thanks.

Presonus support seems to think this isn't such a bad issue. :facepalm:

Note: I've received one verified report from a Faderport 8 user on MacOS Sierra with the same issue. Please keep those reports coming.
Airon
New here

Re: Faderport 8/16 - need a small favor from fellow users

Postby Airon » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:19 pm

One small note on the speed of fader movements.

About 1-2 up&down movements per second. That makes the problem easy to see.

So far I've received two reports with screenshots that confirm the issue. (see here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=231957 ). Also posted in Gearslutz and KVR on this issue.

SOS Admins.
Is anyone at SOS using these units ?
Airon
New here

Postby Airon » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:13 pm

So, tech support has told me they're handing this to the dev team.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they can fix it with a firmware update. Downtime would be worse.
Airon
New here

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:52 am

It doesn't look as if there's other users around here, but well done on what sounds like a well planned campaign to get Presonus to take you seriously.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.