You are here

Connecting an Active Speaker to Mixer As A Monitor

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Connecting an Active Speaker to Mixer As A Monitor

Postby Rockinroller » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:57 pm

I play in a duo (keys and drums). We have 3 Alto TS310 speakers, two on stands facing out and one we'd like to place on stage, pointing back to us as a monitor. Our (unpowered) mixer is a Peavey 6. It has 6 ports in the OUTPUT section: L&R for Main Output (which we run our two outward Alto powered speakers into), two more L&R ports marked Ctrl/Room, a headphone port and an EFX Send port.

Does anyone know if I could run that 3rd Alto Speaker that we'd like as a monitor into any of those 4 other ports without compromising anything?

The only other option isn't that good, and that's to run the monitor Alto directly off one of the two main speakers. Thanks in advance.
Rockinroller
New here

Re: Connecting an Active Speaker to Mixer As A Monitor

Postby James Perrett » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:40 pm

Are you using the EFX output for anything at the moment? If not then I'd use that for the monitor. It will give you the option to use a different mix for the monitors but it won't be ideal as the mix in the monitors will change when the main mix is changed (you normally want a reverb level to change when the vocal level is changed but you don't normally want the monitor level to change). The EFX output is impedance balanced so it would be best to use a TRS to TRS cable from the mixer to the monitors although you could use a standard guitar cable at a pinch (but it may be slightly more susceptible to interference).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Wonks » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:24 pm

The mixer simply isn't up to the job.

Time to get a new one with a proper pre-fade aux send.

I'd look for something like a Used Alesis Multimix 8 USB (or USB 2.0) FX. I just picked one up for £60 and it's about the most compact featured mixer you can get. FX channel, pre-fader Aux send channel. High pass filter on the mic channels, 3-band EQ on the mic channels (first two with semi-parametric mid band). There are other good small mixers with built-in FX, like the Alto ZMX122, that have FX send and a pre-fader aux send channel for monitors, but lack the hi-pass filters and the (very useful) semi-parametric EQ.

If you go for say Behringer, you need to get a much larger channel count mixer to get those features.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:33 pm

I'd agree with Wonks but,, if the budget is available, you could consider going digital? A Behringer XR 12 is £225 new but will be fairly future proof* should you be prepared to pay the price and negotiate the, not too steep, learning curve?

* 4 mic inputs and 8 line inputs (two are HiZ for passive piezo equipped acoustic guitars), L/R plus 2 x aux outputs and decent built in fx and processing.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_x_air_xr12.htm
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:37 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I'd agree with Wonks but,, if the budget is available, you could consider going digital? A Behringer XR 12 is £225 new but will be fairly future proof* should you be prepared to pay the price and negotiate the, not too steep, learning curve?

* 4 mic inputs and 8 line inputs (two are HiZ for passive piezo equipped acoustic guitars), L/R plus 2 x aux outputs and decent built in fx and processing.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_x_air_xr12.htm

Agreed. But you'll really need to use it with a hardwired laptop, or budget for an external wi-fi router if you want to use a tablet to control it as the built-in wi-fi is pretty woeful and easily swamped by other wi-fi signals (e.g. from phones).
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853