You are here

Compression, is it still relevant?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Compression, is it still relevant?

Postby Jadoube » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:10 am

Compression is life. It is the excitement of 'pop' music... whether it comes from a plugin or a Marshall. It is the way to make something sound so much more than the media it comes from. Why do all your friends (not your recording engineer friends) say they "like" vinyl? Because vinyl is the high water mark of the art of compression.

I don't care where I find it, I love it. Very Relevant.
Jadoube
Regular
_________
David

Postby Arpangel » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:06 am

Tim Gillett wrote:
Arpangel wrote:

...The GC2020 is bad Hugh, it’s OK for light compression, or as an effect.
... I’m using the GC2020 purely as an effect, on the output of my Portastudio, to emphasis the noise and grunge. I like that gated noise effect, and it’s good at that.

I checked my old Yamaha 2020II compressor today. All functions work, at least they did after I put it on the bench some years ago and cleaned the dirty switches and pots.

It's not highly sophisticated but it does what it's supposed to. Variable ratio, attack, release, threshold, input and output gains. Ganged or separate, and has a separate gate/expander on each channel. I'm not surprised it was popular and Yamaha kept it in production for some years.

I wonder if you are not understanding that compression and expansion are opposite functions. The gate is a downwards expander. To bypass the gate, the knob needs to be turned fully counter clockwise until it clicks. In my TV listening application I never use the gate.

Also with the two separate channels it's easy to mismatch the settings and for the stereo image to jump left and right. Sometimes to make it simpler on a mono source such as an older movie I only use one channel. No need to match two sets of settings.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Tim, the 2020 imparts a nice sound to everything, ignoring the compression etc, have you noticed this?
I believe there are some quite high spec'd unexpected components inside, capacitors etc.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Tim Gillett » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:36 am

Arpangel wrote:Thanks Tim, the 2020 imparts a nice sound to everything, ignoring the compression etc, have you noticed this?

I havent noticed anything unusual. All functions work as per normal...now. These are ageing units though. Mine was left behind at a gig by musos who never returned for it! On my workbench it just needed the usual cleaning of pots and switches. Before that it was quite unreliable. I wonder if like mine was, yours is faulty too.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:49 am

I found that the 2020 just dulled and flattened everything so it was consigned to the least important tracks on my sessions. I much preferred the budget Drawmer LX20 which was far more transparent.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Tim Gillett » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:31 am

As I said earlier the 2020 seems to have no frills, just straight ratios whereas the Drawmer seems to have a soft knee. I found in a semi automated comp/limiter situation (audio book recording) a soft knee did a very good job, moving smoothly from the mildest ratio at onset, to hard limit on very heavy passages. The 2020 cant do that.

Still the reason I felt Arpangel's unit might not be working correctly was Arpangel's complaint that his worked either as full compression or no compression. That doesn't sound right. Settings of threshold, ratio, attack, release, input, output should be smoothly progressive in their adjustment, which they were in my unit when I tested it the other day, or at least became so after a good service.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:33 am

Tim Gillett wrote:As I said earlier the 2020 seems to have no frills, just straight ratios whereas the Drawmer seems to have a soft knee. I found in a semi automated comp/limiter situation (audio book recording) a soft knee did a very good job, moving smoothly from the mildest ratio at onset, to hard limit on very heavy passages. The 2020 cant do that.

Still the reason I felt Arpangel's unit might not be working correctly was Arpangel's complaint that his worked either as full compression or no compression. That doesn't sound right. Settings of threshold, ratio, attack, release, input, output should be smoothly progressive in their adjustment, which they were in my unit when I tested it the other day, or at least became so after a good service.

Yes, it tends to do nothing, then aggressively "grab" a signal, I can adjust the response, but the adjustments are very coarse.
I also took it apart, and gave it a good clean, the pots.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous