You are here

Thoughts on this mix? (Jazzy-bluesy)

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Thoughts on this mix? (Jazzy-bluesy)

Postby lingyai » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:19 pm

lingyai
Regular

Re: Thoughts on this mix? (Jazzy-bluesy)

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:07 pm

Nice :clap:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:20 pm

I really like the vibe, and the foley sounds in the intro, but they're too much for me in the whole song. I'd either be dropping them by a big chunk or, personally, dropping them completely until fading them back in at the end.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:29 pm

Second listen, yes maybe the seagulls a little quieter but I'm actually okay with them. A proper ending would be nice though, the fade seemed ok on first listen but......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:03 pm

Hi lingyai,

Lovely atmosphere and relaxed ensemble playing - I'm already on my second listen!

However, I do tend to agree with blinddrew that the background sound effects overstay their welcome. After all, this music could be said to have an intimate club-type feel - if you really want to go overboard with foley, why not have a shutting window/door sound once the music gets going, to blank out the background in favour of the club. You could open the window/door again right at the end of the song ;)

Keep up the most excellent work though - it's lovely to have such a summery track to lift the spirits! 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:52 pm

yes maybe the seagulls a little quieter

SEAGULLS! NO PLEASE TELL ME IT ISN'T THE RETURN OF YOU KNOW WHAT!
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:50 pm

Actually apologies to the OP who will doubtless be utterly bemused by my comment above if he isn't aware of the particular seaside/seagulls-based track that we have been party to on this forum for many years. :lol:
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:19 pm

So back to the track. Nice tune, thanks for sharing!

1. Does it benefit from having the sound effects at all? But if you must have them, why suddenly stop them half way through for no apparent musical reason? I'd ditch them all together, if it were me.

2. As is often the way, I find there are a few performance and arrangement issues that undermine the quality of the production perhaps more than the mix per se. The piano in particular could do with tightening up here and there in terms of note choice. I also found the first part somewhat repetitive with no obvious melodic or harmonic development for the best part of half a minute?

3. Mix-wise, I'd be looking for a little more light and shade perhaps?. It's all very mono with all the instruments sitting very centrally and all coming in very politely. I'd perhaps be looking for a bit more dynamics and movement (whilst appreciating the genre etc). The main issue, for me, though is that the featured guitar part when it comes in at about 1.30 is far, far, too loud in relation to the rest of the track.

HTH and sorry for the OT interruption above!
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby lingyai » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:20 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:Actually apologies to the OP who will doubtless be utterly bemused by my comment above if he isn't aware of the particular seaside/seagulls-based track that we have been party to on this forum for many years. :lol:

All in stride sir. I didn't catch the allusion but guessed there was one ;-)

Thanks all for listening and the supportive comments.

Seagulls aside, may I ask -- mix/arrangement-wise, works ok? Still new to full band, large voice count projects.

As for seagulls ... it was recorded live in one of those doorless jazz clubs where they let seagulls in, what can I say?

Ok, joking apart .. I knew they extent to which they're sensed (see below) is not everyone's cuppa; in fact, normally, not my own cuppa. I chewed my lip a lot as usually I try to err on the side of subtlety but ultimately left them in because -- just now, March 2020 -- I wanted something to help take people away from where they are to some familiar or imaginable, pleasant place, cocooning them for a few minutes. Sounds airy fairy I know. But, for real. Some friends PLUS MY AUNTY SO THERE have said it relaxes them, so I'll leave it, and just write a post-it to myself to ease off on seagulls in the next few projects ;-)

Having said that: technically speaking, in fact the foley doesn't play throughout; it's there at the intro, the break, and outros only. But yes, it's sensed when it's not there, by design, which is why I empathise with those who say it's around too much.

Thanks again for these comments!
lingyai
Regular

Postby lingyai » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:25 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote: The main issue, for me, though is that the featured guitar part when it comes in at about 1.30 is far, far, too loud in relation to the rest of the track.

I wondered the same and now agree.

Thanks for all your other comments. Re the politeness and initial samey-ness, fair enough. I think ultimately it's more background music which happens to feature a great guitar solo.
lingyai
Regular

Postby Sam Inglis » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:21 pm

The basic balance of instruments is good, and it's a nice composition. I didn't find the guitar solo stuck out too much.

The main thing that bothers me is to do with the stereo field. It feels as though many of the instruments are presented in stereo, but they're all panned centrally within that. So you have this slightly odd effect where the piano appears to be wider than the entire rest of the band, because that sound happens to have the most stereo width to it -- and the mix as a whole is quite narrow despite all the constituent parts being stereo. I want to hear individual instruments as coming from definite points in space, and have those not all be central. I'd prefer the piano to be less wide and less thin/hollow sounding, too.

A couple of more minor points: if there's a kick drum, I can't hear it, and there is a nasty glitch at 1'19". Possibly a bad edit?
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:19 am

Basic things wrong with this mix, drums and guitar, just way too loud, otherwise great track, lovely textures, but they’re drowned out by the drums, mostly.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Inglis » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:48 pm

I meant to say, if you've run into a brick wall and don't know where to take it, feel free to send it in for Mix Rescue! You can PM me or email sam AT soundonsound DOT com.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)