You are here

Mitigating no acoustic treatment in temporary room move

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Mitigating no acoustic treatment in temporary room move

Postby jellyjim » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:15 am

Hello

I'm having to temporarily move studio space to accomodate various Covid-19 related changes in my household.

Whilst there's not an enormous amount of treatment in my normal room somebody did a bit for me a few years ago. It's all fixed though

Here are my thoughts so far:

* Work at a low volume
* Rely more than ever on reference mixes
* Rely more on headphones, and perhaps calibrate them with something like Sonarworks Reference
* Use Sonarworks room calibration (not just headphone version) plus measurement mic. Though my thinking is not much point without room treatment
* Buy some portable/hangable acoustic treatment (not that I'd really know what to do with it)
* Buy a pair of Avantone Mix Cubes as they're less susceptible to room influences, concentrate on the mids and come back to the low end when the madness is over [*1]
* Buy better monitors [*1]
* Just be done with mixing and run screaming into the void as civilisation is on the brink of collapse anyway

Need to know:
* Available headphones; Shure SRH1840s, Beyerdynamic DT100s, standard Apple earbuds
* Monitors: KRK Rokit 5 RPG2 (old but I know them)
* New room: small and boxy, about 2.75 x 3.25m. Chimney breast means rear of left monitor will be pointing into an alcove. Max distance of monitors from wall probably 20-30cm.

[*1 I'm probably just looking for an excuse to do this anyway :) ]

Thanks, and stay safe!
Jim
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Re: Mitigating no acoustic treatment in temporary room move

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:36 am

Everything on your list -- with the possible exception of running into the void, which I'd keep on standby as Plan C -- makes good sense.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to buy acoustic panels in the current lockdowns. If not, you can make do with winter duvets or heavy blankets etc.

As for what to do with them, the most critical locations are the side wall mirror points mid way between your listening position and the speakers. After that you can lok at treating the front wall behind the speakers and/or the back wall of the room (if it's very close to the listening position) and the ceiling above the listening position extending forward towards the speakers.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby forumuser838999 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:52 pm

If buying panels doesn’t look worthwhile then you can diy.

Some of my panels are really simple - 2 layers of rockwool, wrapped in fire retardant material, glued closed.

Incredibly cheap, takes about half an hour to make (or less) and they lean against a wall and squishes into corners. Look ugly and not as good as say GIKs but easy, light and cheap so you can stick them up and get rid once you’re done in a few months without regret.
forumuser838999

Postby jellyjim » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:18 pm

forumuser838999 wrote:If buying panels doesn’t look worthwhile then you can diy.

Some of my panels are really simple - 2 layers of rockwool, wrapped in fire retardant material, glued closed.

Incredibly cheap, takes about half an hour to make (or less) and they lean against a wall and squishes into corners. Look ugly and not as good as say GIKs but easy, light and cheap so you can stick them up and get rid once you’re done in a few months without regret.

It's just getting the materials in the current situation. Not sure "acoustic treatment" qualifies as an essential journey :D
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby blinddrew » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:31 pm

jellyjim wrote: Not sure "acoustic treatment" qualifies as an essential journey :D
Wash your mouth out!

:D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby jellyjim » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:34 pm

blinddrew wrote:
jellyjim wrote: Not sure "acoustic treatment" qualifies as an essential journey :D
Wash your mouth out!

Lolz

I got told off this morning for asking if a cafe were still doing coffee

i was out food shopping, and it's better i go out infrequently rather than use online services that the vulnerable and self-isolating need more than me
jellyjim
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:06 pm

jellyjim wrote:i was out food shopping, and it's better i go out infrequently rather than use online services that the vulnerable and self-isolating need more than me
:thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:59 pm

jellyjim wrote:It's just getting the materials in the current situation. Not sure "acoustic treatment" qualifies as an essential journey :D

Had an email this morning from Studiospares to say that they were still open for Internet orders and they're probably the best place to buy small quantities of Rockwool.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Watchmaker » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:49 am

blinddrew wrote:
Wash your mouth out!

For at least 20 seconds
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.