You are here

Doubt about how the bass is supposed to sound on a "neutral" headphone..

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Doubt about how the bass is supposed to sound on a "neutral" headphone..

Postby KAF » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:02 am

Hello you all.

So, as explained in the other thread, I'm comparing more then a dozen of earpads for the ATH-M50XBT, to see if I find one which makes it sound as close as possible to its wired sister.

I have an LG V50 with Quad DAC, attached to it I have a 3.5 splitter so I can connect two headphones at same time and switch quickly between them.
I have 2x ATH-M50XBT (so I can quickly compare 2 different earpads) and 1 ATH-M50X as a reference.
So, I compared them all again and again and I selected 3 finalists earpads.
3 Brainwavz: one PU flat, one Sheep skin flat, one Sheep skin angled.

At the moment my feeling is that the angled Sheep skin is the closest to the sound of the ATH-M50X.

But the flat Sheep skin are more comfortable.
And trusting the review of Rtings, I have faith that the upper bass of the ATH-M50X is pumped, while the lower mids are recessed. Also, the low and mid bass are supposedly very slightly pumped.
I feel that the ATH-M50XBT with flat Sheep skin earpads sound like ATH-M50X without those issues.

But I'm conflicted.
No matter if I listen to Indie Pop or Oriental Techno, they just don't have juice in the bass.

So, I've realised that I've never used a reference Headphones. I've no idea how a good but neutral bass sounds compared to just a lack of bass.
As of now, if I imagine myself mixing on these, I feel like I would push the bass a lot to feel some emotion.

And I don't know, maybe it's how it's supposed to be and I'm just missing my old bad listening habits of audiophile basshead?
KAF
Poster

Re: Doubt about how the bass is supposed to sound on a "neutral" headphone..

Postby Sam Inglis » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:43 am

I think the problem here is most likely that you are trying to get a cellphone to drive two pairs of headphones simultaneously by splitting the output. The integrated DAC / headphone amp chips used in phones are necessarily low power devices and this may well be asking too much of it! It also makes it impossible to do a fair comparison because you have no way of level-matching the two pairs that are connected.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby KAF » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:22 am

Hmmmm, I don't think they are demanding headphones.
But I tried them alone and there is no difference.
I think I'm fine there.

Also, one of them has got a volume control on the cable, so that I could theoretically level them.
I anyway do not perceive any difference in volume/loudness between the two.

The neutralization (or suppression) of the bass depends on the earpads. As soon as I change earpads, the bass is back. Even with the two headphones attached to the splitter.

My problem is just that I don't know if these earpads are making the bass neutral (which is supposedly good for mixing) or are taking too much away (which would be detrimental, 'cause I'd end putting too much bass in my mixes).

How do I understand that?
KAF
Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:42 am

Why not just create a couple of quick mixes with them and see how those mixes translate onto other systems?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby KAF » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:46 am

Because I'm not yet so far.
I'm still learning.
I'm just putting up the setup :)
KAF
Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:39 pm

KleinAberFein wrote:Because I'm not yet so far.
I'm still learning.
I'm just putting up the setup :)
Then I would wait until you can properly make use of them. It should become clear then.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby KAF » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:43 pm

You're of course being very wise.
That would be ideal.
But without headphones I can't do anything...
I can read user manuals.
I can learn a few things by using the speakers of the notebook when it's not late (I'm an owl).
But I can't really progress to the point which you're suggesting I need to be.
It's a vicious circle.

Or am I missing something in your suggestion?

The other thing would be getting a pair of really neutral reference headphones, to see how the bass is supposed to sound.
Ok edit, I've just got the Mobius.
According to Rtings their bass is neutral.
With this reference is can see that the right spot is somewhere between the flat and the angled sheep skin earpads.
:)
KAF
Poster