You are here

Bob Katz interview

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Bob Katz interview

Postby Glenn Bucci » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:32 pm

For the geeks that want some deeper insight, this is an interesting discussion. I found it interesting that he feels 48 at 24 bit or 32 bit floating is the lowest quality he likes to receive the 2 bus tracks from clients. Music he receives at 96 is only 20 percent. He does not prefer to receive music at 44 as the quality he feels is not as good as the higher sample rates.

Depth of the music and stereo separation needs to be focused on. Unfortunately you need higher end monitors to really hear the depth of a mix. Moving from my Focal Twins to the Focal Trios would help in this area. I have heard the Trios and they allow you hear more depth.

Funny to see him talk from a bedroom with just a tshirt on.

https://youtu.be/v2Wisf0MXZM

He wrote a book Mastering Audio, the art and the science that is quite good. I have 2nd edition of the book. He is up to the 3rd edition which keeps his book a little more updated with ITunes etc.

So many clients dont want CD's these days. Spotify and what they do to music when they receive it is talked about.

Dont always update your Mac platform as many software programs may not work on the latest and greatest.
Glenn Bucci
Frequent Poster
revelationsoundstudio.com

Re: Bob Katz interview

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:32 am

Glenn Bucci wrote:He does not prefer to receive music at 44 as the quality he feels is not as good as the higher sample rates.

The difference between 48 and 44.1 sample rates is pretty marginal... but I'm guessing that what he's concerned about is less-than great filtering resulting in aliasing artefacts that are impossible to remove in mastering. A higher sample rate makes it less likely that there will be any aliasing artefacts.

Unfortunately you need higher end monitors to really hear the depth of a mix.

Not just better monitors. The room acoustics become ever more critical as you try to extract more information from the track. You can put the best monitors in the world in a crap-sounding room and you'll struggle to hear any depth into the mix! But put average monitors into a well sorted room and you'll often be surprised at what they are actually capable of delivering!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Glenn Bucci » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:59 pm

Good point Hugh, when you and Paul came to my old studio, the simple auralex foam we added made a difference. Adding bass traps and GIK panels in my new studio made even a bigger difference.
Glenn Bucci
Frequent Poster
revelationsoundstudio.com

Postby Ariosto » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:46 pm

BK really pointed out that a hell of a lot of processing just introduces artifacts and distortions and we should maybe avoid using plugins as much as possible. I've sort of come to the same conclusion just by chance and think that getting it right at the time of recording is the answer. Also recording with peaks below -10dB!!!
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:55 pm

Ariosto wrote:BK really pointed out that a hell of a lot of processing just introduces artifacts and distortions...

Isn't that exactly what they're supposed to do? :lol:

... getting it right at the time of recording is the answer.

It always has been, but it's much easier said than done.

Also recording with peaks below -10dBFS!!!

Absolutely! Partly because it makes mixing ITB much easier, but mostly because it ensures the analogue parts of the signal path -- the front-end and the monitoring chain -- get to work with the signal levels they were designed for, instead of being forced to run 20dB too hot all the time.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound