You are here

Headphone longevity

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Headphone longevity

Postby Chimera » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:55 am

I have a pair of AKG K702 that are about 4 years old. I really like them. They have been very well looked after and well used but I have found that the elastic threads that tension the headband have perished and they slowly slide down my head!! For the past few months I have been bodging them with blutac.

I've read the other threads on headphones and all things being equal I would go for a pair of K712s with Sonarworks plugin but I would prefer something that I could be fairly sure would get nearer to 8 years or longer out of. Budget-wise I could sweet talk SWMBO up to LCD - 2s if I needed to but I do like the AKG sound and I would prefer not to have to reach for Audeze money. My music is all synth/electronic and I prefer open backed/over ear.

I wondered if anyone could chime in on their experiences of specific models and longevity.

Thanks.
Chimera
Regular

Re: Headphone longevity

Postby John Willett » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:43 pm

I have never had a problem with any Sennheiser model - and many are decades old - my newest Sennheiser is over 10 years old - my HD 25-1s are now over 30 years old and I have only ever had to replace earpads which degrade naturally.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Music Wolf » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:53 pm

John Willett wrote:my HD 25-1s are now over 30 years old and I have only ever had to replace earpads which degrade naturally.

My HD 480's are almost new by comparison (can't be much over 27 years old with replacement pads and a new lead). The Beyerdynamic DT250's are fresh out of the box at 25 years but could do with a bit of sanitisation (probably carrying more bugs than BoJo).

My AKG K702s seem less robust and I've had to re-solder them twice in the 5(?) years that I've had them.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:18 pm

My AKG 240 mkll must be almost 10 years. Not heavy use but still looking good and going strong.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Chimera » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:24 pm

Music Wolf wrote:
John Willett wrote:my HD 25-1s are now over 30 years old and I have only ever had to replace earpads which degrade naturally.

My HD 480's are almost new by comparison (can't be much over 27 years old with replacement pads and a new lead). The Beyerdynamic DT250's are fresh out of the box at 25 years but could do with a bit of sanitisation (probably carrying more bugs than BoJo).

My AKG K702s seem less robust and I've had to re-solder them twice in the 5(?) years that I've had them.

Thanks for the replies. I can beat that! Mine are 4 times and a proper rewire to permanently fix the problem!

I used to have HD 650's but found they made my ears hot - however they felt much more durable than the AKGs. I've downloaded the demo of Sonarworks and they sound really smooth.

Anyone able to comment if the K712s are better made?

Otherwise it looks like I'll have to go German again :roll:
Chimera
Regular

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:38 pm

I have a strange shaped head and long ears so comfort is an issue.
My newest pair are the open backed Shure SRH1840. A big spend but they fit me really well and my ears don’t get hot after extended use. They aren’t that old yet so can’t comment on longevity.
I have a friend who mixed an entire film score on them with the Sonarworks software.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Chimera » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:57 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:I have a strange shaped head and long ears so comfort is an issue.
My newest pair are the open backed Shure SRH1840. A big spend but they fit me really well and my ears don’t get hot after extended use. They aren’t that old yet so can’t comment on longevity.
I have a friend who mixed an entire film score on them with the Sonarworks software.

Good to know they are comfortable. I'll check them out.

Anyone got Focal Elears?
Chimera
Regular

Postby ef37a » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:31 pm

It might be something you are secreting Chimera!
I would only get 18 months to two years out of a leather watch strap, something in my skin caused them to rot.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Chimera » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:09 pm

ef37a wrote:It might be something you are secreting Chimera!
I would only get 18 months to two years out of a leather watch strap, something in my skin caused them to rot.

Dave.

That might explain why my chair has fallen apart
Chimera
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:33 pm

My K702s are about the same age as yours. They're fine. Maybe you've just been unlucky with them. N.B. I just did a quick Google and found a site giving details on replacing the elastic suspension. Worth a try.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/com ... _work_for/

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby blinddrew » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:23 pm

I've got a couple of pairs of Beyerdynamics (770s and 990s). They're between 4 and 10 years old I'd guess and, other than the velour starting to look a bit grim, are good as new.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:29 pm

Longevity is one of the reasons why I only recommend Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic. My DT250's and HD25's are both over 20 years old and the only things I've replaced have been the pads on the HD25's. I took John's advice and used the velour pads for the replacement (the DT250's already use velour earpads).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby shufflebeat » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:08 pm

James Perrett wrote:Longevity is one of the reasons why I only recommend Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic. My DT250's and HD25's are both over 20 years old and the only things I've replaced have been the pads on the HD25's. I took John's advice and used the velour pads for the replacement (the DT250's already use velour earpads).

I replaced headband pads on my hd25s recently. The new ones fell off on the case. At least they are old enough that the pads needed replacing. Only other casualty was a cable which went about 2yrs ago.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Chimera » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:35 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:My K702s are about the same age as yours. They're fine. Maybe you've just been unlucky with them. N.B. I just did a quick Google and found a site giving details on replacing the elastic suspension. Worth a try.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/com ... _work_for/

CC

Much appreciated thank you.
Chimera
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:30 am

... and if you do decide to buy... Scan Computers often have 'ex-demo' headphones of various sorts at bargain prices. That's where I got my 702s.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Next