You are here

Midi file not syncing to tempo?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Midi file not syncing to tempo?

Postby gingertimmins » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:01 am

Hi guys,
I recently wrote a song and decided to reach out to other bored local musos to see if anyone wanted to add to it.
I met a nice chap who drives lorry’s for Sainsbury’s and he recorded some keys for me and generally it’s pretty good but there are a couple of timing issues and I feel that the sound he chose wasn’t quite right so I asked for the midi file.
He exported it from cubase and It won’t sync to tempo of my project- the whole file seems to be a bit slower. I was expecting it to just snap into perfect alignment.
Is there anything he should be doing when exporting it or anything I should be doing when importing it? Or anything I can do to fix it?

He’s currently at work for a few days so a fix my end would be preferred but any advice would be welcomed!

I hope everyone is finding ways to cope at the moment.

Kind regards,
Chris
gingertimmins
Regular

Re: Midi file not syncing to tempo?

Postby desmond » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:56 am

Who knows? Maybe the guy recorded in free time to your audio and didn't care what the tempo was? It's difficult to know what someone else has done, I've seen people do crazy things! :crazy:

What's the tempo in the midifile, are there tempo changes, and what's your tempo?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Music Wolf » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:32 pm

desmond wrote:Maybe the guy recorded in free time to your audio and didn't care what the tempo was?

I was thinking the same thing. I've imported MIDI files before now where the song was recorded played to one tempo with the DAW set to something completely different.

The other thing to check is - is the tempo wrong or is the track off-set by a fraction of a beat? That may make it feel as though it's dragging.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:28 pm

Also worth saying that the sample rate of his and your interfaces may be different which would create a gradual drift apart. Very few interfaces have calibrated sample clocks.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby gingertimmins » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:50 pm

Hello gents, so yeah, it turns out that he recorded in free time with his project set at the default 120 bpm.
He’s happy to do it again :D
gingertimmins
Regular