You are here

Does anyone actually use 32 buffer size all the way through a project?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Does anyone actually use 32 buffer size all the way through a project?

Postby Kayvon » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:17 pm

And if so what audio interface are you using?

I use Microsoft and Apple platforms and was just curious if the 32 buffer size setting actually gets used by many past the start of a project when there's like a single VST?

Are people religiously freezing/bouncing tracks so they can carry on using 32 buffers or are you just pushing the buffers up to 64/128 as the project goes on?

I'm aware that reported latency and rtl would end up meaning 32 buffers on two different systems wouldn't always equal the same latency but I'm curious nonetheless as I find v low latency settings more satisfying to play.

Cheers!
Kayvon
Regular

Re: Does anyone actually use 32 buffer size all the way through a project?

Postby desmond » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:38 pm

I don't know about others but I suspect most folks will go down when they need to, and go up when they need to.

For me, my default projects start at 128 as a happy medium. If I need to go smaller, eg, playing guitar with FX, then I will go down for those parts, and then go back up to 128 for general work.

If things start getting heavy, then I will go up, even to as much as 1024, but by then the mixing is well under way and there's no tracking to be done - and I only have a little Mac anyway.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby The Elf » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:15 pm

I stay at 64 samples all the time these days. I don't feel the need to drop to 32, and haven't hit the need to go up from 64.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Folderol » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:36 pm

I run at 64 samples too. I only go down to 32 for testing purposes.
This is with A KA6 on my 'office' machine and the same rate on my music/DAW one but with an M-track eight.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Kayvon » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:38 pm

I had a KA6 that plain wouldn't have it at 32 samples but was more stable than my Motu at 64.

I wonder whether 32 samples is just a bit too much for Windows/OSX computers to deal with without RME style heroic driver programming? Even then I wonder how many RME users are running at 32 samples?

15+ years ago I used to run 128 samples via a USB interface and I always imagined latency would fall as the years went on but I guess the market hasn't demanded it as such.

Behind this thread is a bit of indecision on whether to drop the £££ on an RME or take a chance on a mini ESi interface for 99 bobs. In this case I wouldn't be too annoyed by buying twice, ESi I've always found quite an intriguing company in terms of design and they got some positive SOS reviews in the past if I remember rightly.
Kayvon
Regular

Postby The Elf » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:40 pm

For me it would be RME *every* time. Latency isn't the only advantage.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby IAA » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:58 pm

I generally use 64 or 128 dependant on how many soft synths I’m running. I use an apogee with Logic and it has a great direct route when I’m doing audio and 6ms round trip is too much :D
Never think about it much to be honest.
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:59 pm

I have no idea, because I don't really play any soft synths and don't monitor thru the DAW so roundtrip latency is fairly irrelevant. It could be set to anything really. I can get it down to 64 with a bare bones approach but again I don't usually need to. I don't think I've ever tried 32.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:06 pm

When I first got my RME Fireface UC back in December of last year I ran a fairly typical project (for me) and compared its CPU overheads with various buffer sizes, and am now quite happy running at 128 samples at 44.1kHz

Decreasing the buffer size to 64 samples increased my CPU overhead by around 40%, and at 48 samples by some 70% (RME doesn't offer 32 samples as an option for my interface).

My PC can still manage both 64 and 48 sample options, and I know I can call on them within a few seconds if required, but to date I've never felt the need to use them. I find it's far more important to avoid/disable high latency plug-ins when tracking.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Kayvon » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:15 pm

Wow, if you don't routinely run the lowest latencies with your RME Martin then I stand no chance!

I've been doing lots of reading and have a few things in my possession which I need to test (DAWs as well) so lets see how inclined I am to buying an RME.

Thanks all for the replies. I wrote a rambling reply last week but it didn't send and I lost the text when restarting chrome :/
Kayvon
Regular