You are here

Plugin

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Plugin

Postby forumuser773232 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:37 am

Anybody know of any plugins that give you that Hank Marvin guitar sound?
forumuser773232
Poster

Re: Plugin

Postby MOF » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:41 am

Probably the UAD Fender amplifier and the Space echo plugins, though I think he used the Binson echo.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby djangodeadman » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:16 am

MOF wrote:Probably the UAD Fender amplifier and the Space echo plugins, though I think he used the Binson echo.

Hank Marvin famously used Vox amps, AC 15 or AC 30.

There’s a Binson Echorec plug-in reviewed in the latest SOS, I believe.

Unfortunately there’s no Hank Marvin’s Fingers plug-in, as far as I’m aware.
djangodeadman
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:05 am

Didn’t Hank use a Watkins Copycat? at least to start with, I’m sure.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:47 am

Getting the 'Hank sound' has been a thing for over half a century now. Getting the right hardware or the nearest modern re-creation has been an obsessive quest for many.

Started from their original success you have Fender guitar and amp, then the Shads got a deal with Vox for Amps and Burns guitars, then back to Fender.

But even in the Vox amp days he had an AC30 cabinet with a Fender amp built in to satisfy the endorsement deal. So it's not clear cut even then.

Best advice is to use a good Fender amp sim and Binson sim, and then accept that Hank Marvin never had any problem getting the 'Hank sound' with a range of different guitars, amps, and FX.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby Wonks » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:36 pm

Don't eat for a couple of days, then you'll be Hank Marvin.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby MOF » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:26 pm

Then of course generous amounts of wammy bar (that’s a technical term for that thing connected to the bar where the strings are anchored) on the sustained notes at the end of each phrase. :D
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby IvanSC » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:30 am

Heavy strings, very little finger vibrato. Plus of course everything everyone else said.

I first heard the Fender-inside-a-vox-box story decades ago. No idea if it is true or not, but makes us fender amp users feel smug.
:bouncy:
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Two bottles of Corona lemon and lime,  please!

Postby djangodeadman » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:18 pm

IvanSC wrote:I first heard the Fender-inside-a-vox-box story decades ago. No idea if it is true or not, but makes us fender amp users feel smug.
:bouncy:

I could find no evidence of it being true, but I guess that would be the purpose of the deception in the first place. Hank Marvin himself refers to having a Selmer amp before switching to a Vox AC 15 and later AC 30, developed by Vox at the request of The Shadows for more volume. Maybe he’s still contractual obliged to keep up the pretence. I did find a reference to the fact that he “may” have used Fender amps for some recordings in the 1960’s, but there didn’t appear to be any actual evidence for that, except that those amps were available at Abbey Road.
djangodeadman
Regular

Postby andy cross » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:22 pm

To cheer up the Vox fans, this from Ritchie Blackmore: "I really loved my Vox sound, but I wanted to change to Marshalls for the look. [...] I wanted this Vox sound which was very distorted and very cutting, but seemed to have a bass resonance. And they just couldn’t get that. So in the end they said, “What we’re going to do is get one of our combo amps and we’ll take out the innards and put in the Vox innards. So you’ll actually be playing a Vox, but it’ll say Marshall. That was the big secret of the day."
andy cross
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:46 pm

Now that's something I'd not heard before, and a fascinating story if true ;)

Thanks andy!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby djangodeadman » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:53 pm

zenguitar wrote: ...and then accept that Hank Marvin never had any problem getting the 'Hank sound' with a range of different guitars, amps, and FX.

Andy :beamup:

That is certainly true and it’s true of many guitarists with a distinctive sound.
djangodeadman
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:30 pm

And indeed ties in perfectly with another story I heard about a guitarist who visited a mixing engineer friend one lunchtime while the artists were at a local pub having something to eat. Apparently Eric Clapton was in residence that week, and so the two of them sneaked into the studio, picked up Eric's guitar and played a few notes, just for the hell of it.

And that was when they both realised that neither of them sounded at all like Clapton, and when the penny finally dropped that this legendary sound was largely due to Eric's fingers rather than the gear he used ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby resistorman » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:38 am

It’s true, the sound mainly comes from the player, I’ve seen and heard it over and over. Now, that’s not a hard concept to buy into with an organic instrument like a guitar through an amp. But it goes further. I used to engineer an all day benefit music festival, and supplied a Yamaha P series digital stage piano. It was a decent sounding keyboard with two or maybe three sample layers, but nothing special, plugged right into my desk. One year, there turned out to be eight (!) different pianists performing, and every one of them sounded unique. The piano sounded muted, strident, thin, thick, bright, dark and I swear it sounded slightly out of tune one set. I was dumbfounded by the end of the day. I try never to underestimate the power of performers to make their own way regardless of equipment.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:05 pm

Heck yeah, the best way to sound like Hank Marvin is to be Hank Marvin :)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Next