You are here

Video software - ShotCut vs DaVinci Free vs Filmora 9.3?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Video software - ShotCut vs DaVinci Free vs Filmora 9.3?

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:15 pm

Quick update from me -
Seems the best way to learn (for me) is just jump in and do projects. When I get stuck I am able to find a YouTube with the answer. I know when I really can’t find an answer the SOS braintrust will sort me out. The more I learn, the more I am in awe of the gift of a good editor.
In my mind it’s the equivalent of a composer sitting down and doing a full orchestra score using only paper and pencil!
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Postby troyeee » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:42 am

I personally like TunesKit Acemovi. It's a combination of video/audio cutter, editor, converter, recorder and merger.For me, It's very easy-to-use and cost-effective, i usually to edit simple video and it's suitable for me, the DaVinci is too complicated for me.
troyeee

Postby The Red Bladder » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:07 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:I was expecting editing video to be somewhat similar to editing music but there are some areas where it is really different.
The real answer is to use something that is as similar to a DAW as possible.

I think I've used them all and I currently have Premier Pro, After Effects, Vegas Pro and Resolve on my workstation.

Resolve is relatively easy to learn, but it is COMPLETELY different to a DAW with the familiar timeline and cuts and pastes. It is today the colouring (aka 'Timing') tool of choice for most feature films. If it's good enough for Roger Deakins, it's good enough for me!

Premier and AE are not really anything like a DAW and do contain some nasty gotchas! They are also expensive in the full version (subscription only!) but have some amazing effects like object removal that really works!

Reaper is a DAW and if all you want is to edit, then that's the way to go. You can do basic colour-grading to match shots in Resolve first use Reaper for editing and do the final grading and get that final 'look' back in Resolve.

Vegas Pro is what I use mostly, now that it has got some sophisticated colour tools and it comes bundled with Blu-Ray authoring and 5.1 encoding and SoundForge. I tried the free trial two years ago and did not even wait for the trial period to time-out. It was so easy to use, just drag-n-drop and had some interesting LUTs (look-up-tables) so that you can have the same colour range and look as famous films like Sin City or Pam's Labyrinth. It was also the only NLE that could deal with unusual formats and odd fps rates (someone gave me a 20fps project that Premier and Resolve refused to even look at!) and convert them to something more normal and has literally every possible non-priority export format on Planet Earth.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby S.Crow » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:59 pm

If you are looking to buy Vegas Pro 18, be aware that it's usually cheaper to buy an old version of VEGAS Movie Studio and upgrade to Pro 18.
You get the same upgrade price as somone who has Pro 17, so about two thirds the price.
You can get a genuine VEGAS Movie Studio on eBay very cheaply (~£10) as Magix flood the market via resellers.
I did this with no issues.
Just check that VEGAS Movie Studio can be registered with Magix and you are fine.
S.Crow
Regular

Previous