You are here

Hanging Notes in Reaper - Midi

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Hanging Notes in Reaper - Midi

Postby dbfs » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:12 pm

Hi Folks,
I am trying out Reaper here and as before, when I am working with Midi with Instruments like TAL Noisemaker and Helm, I constantly get notes handing or getting stuck when I press stop.

I am testing this out as an alternative to Logic/Ableton for a school due to social distancing etc and would really like to get it working as I am quite fond of Reaper for audio work.

Any advise or solutions to this issue would be greatly appreciated.
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Re: Hanging Notes in Reaper - Midi

Postby zenguitar » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:37 pm

Don't currently have Reaper on any machine. But it might be worth checking in settings to see if there is an option to send a MIDI all notes off message when stopping play?

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri May 01, 2020 2:01 pm

I'd check the VST plugin settings in the preferences to make sure that "Don't send note-offs of pitch reset messages on stop/reset" checkbox is not enabled:

Other causes of this problem can be having the track armed for record during playback, or overlapping notes in the MIDI data whereby the same note is triggered twice before the note-off message for the first is seen.

Other people have reported that using CTRL-Space to stop playback solves the issue for them.

I can't say I've ever noticed the problem myself, but I know this has been a user-reported thing for years with Reaper. That said, it's not just Reaper; other DAWs have the same complaints so I suspect there are multiple possible root causes depending on the way the VSTs are written, the way the DAW is implemented and the MIDI data itself.

If all else fails, by all means post a link to a test MIDI file that causes the hanging notes for you, and I'll import it into my system and see if it does the same for me.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Ramirez » Fri May 01, 2020 3:51 pm

I get this all the time in Reaper too. Thanks Eddy, I’ll have a look at that option.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby James Perrett » Fri May 01, 2020 5:41 pm

If you were on a PC I'd suggest trying the 32 bit version of Reaper as some older VSTi's seem to suffer from stuck notes with the 64 bit version. However, the mention of Logic makes me think that you are on a Mac so I'm not sure if the same would apply.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby dbfs » Fri May 01, 2020 10:23 pm

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the replies.

Very strange, I crated a new project, started recording midi on several tracks and it seems to be ok now. Really loving reaper.

We are really seriously considering using this in place of Logic and Live in a FET school and I am confident in the software as a valid option as out courses may well be online or at least blended learning in September. The fact that reaper is efficient, available for Mac, Windows and Linux really makes it accessible to learners and I cannot see any major drawbacks.

I have collated a great collection of free soft synths and samplers etc and am very happy with it all so far.

Am I missing anything, can you think of any pitfall I may encounter rolling this out to remote learners. (Other than the old chestnut about industry standard :boring: )
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Postby Martin Walker » Sat May 02, 2020 8:18 pm

Ramirez wrote:I get this all the time in Reaper too. Thanks Eddy, I’ll have a look at that option.

Strangely, I've not suffered from this at all during some years of using Reaper, but have noted that setting just in case, since it's not currently ticked in my Preferences - thanks Eddy!

However, during the last few days I've ironically been suffering with several notes hanging on for several seconds beyond their intended note off points, this time after a full-speed Render of one project, when those notes didn't hang during normal playback.

Even more ironically, those couple of hanging notes really sounded good in context, so I'm leaving them in :D

If I have to make any more changes and those hangs don't happen during a subsequent render I'll have to make a few MIDI changes to force them to happen every time ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby DanR » Sat May 02, 2020 11:37 pm

The hanging midi notes problem pretty much rules out Reaper for me. Never a problem with Cubase which I’ve used for years.
I’ve tried the settings in midi devices and VST but still the same.
DanR
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun May 03, 2020 12:52 am

DanR wrote:The hanging midi notes problem pretty much rules out Reaper for me. Never a problem with Cubase which I’ve used for years.

Interesting. Any chance of posting a short MIDI file that triggers the issue on your system so that I can test it on mine?
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.

Postby DanR » Sun May 03, 2020 11:41 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
DanR wrote:The hanging midi notes problem pretty much rules out Reaper for me. Never a problem with Cubase which I’ve used for years.

Interesting. Any chance of posting a short MIDI file that triggers the issue on your system so that I can test it on mine?

Have got a couple of midifiles but can't attach.
They don't show the problem though once exported.
DanR
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun May 03, 2020 3:05 pm

DanR wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:

Have got a couple of midifiles but can't attach.
They don't show the problem though once exported.

The forum doesn't support direct file attachments but most people use dropbox, google drive, wetransfer.com or similar. Alternatively, PM me for my email address and you can send them that way :)

If the MIDI files don't exhibit the behaviour outside of Reaper it would be very interesting to see if they do or not when dropped into Reaper at this end!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.

Postby James Perrett » Sun May 03, 2020 3:55 pm

It may also be worth sending the Reaper project file - just in case there's a setting in there causing the problem.
James Perrett

Postby DanR » Sun May 03, 2020 8:19 pm

Looks like it’s an ongoing problem from this post:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183737

I’ve gone through it and tried the suggestions but notes still hanging. Some not sustaining either or missing on playback.
DanR
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Sun May 03, 2020 10:44 pm

DanR wrote:Looks like it’s an ongoing problem from this post:

And apparently fixed for this particular case in the latest pre release version.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php ... ost2281426
James Perrett

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun May 03, 2020 11:04 pm

James Perrett wrote:
DanR wrote:Looks like it’s an ongoing problem from this post:

And apparently fixed for this particular case in the latest pre release version.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php ... ost2281426

How very timely! Nice find James :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.

Next