You are here

Klark Teknik EQP-KT On Master

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Klark Teknik EQP-KT On Master

Postby curlybob43 » Sat May 09, 2020 8:17 pm

lordmike wrote:
curlybob43 wrote:
lordmike wrote:
curlybob43 wrote:I just posted a similar thread before I saw this, with level drop going from my interface to my 1176-KT. Even though it states in the manual it accepts balanced/unbalanced connections, I never knew an unbalanced cable can cause a signal drop of 6db - next thing to try!

All of my connections are TRS so they should all be balanced.

I was talking about mine, but still concerning you’re having the same issue nevertheless.

I'm sorry, I didn't understand. Have you tried balanced lines?

Not yet, although I'm not sure that'll be the one considering the issues you are having also. Give it a go anyway
curlybob43
Regular
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:50 am

Re: Klark Teknik EQP-KT On Master

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat May 09, 2020 8:58 pm

curlybob43 wrote:I never knew an unbalanced cable can cause a signal drop of 6db - next thing to try!

It depends on the precise nature of the balanced input or output, and not all configurations will suffer a 6dB loss. However, for interfaces that expect to work with non-floating symmetrical signals, connections to or from an unbalanced destination /source result in half the signal voltage being lost, and thus a 6dB reduction in the sent /received signal level.
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 27021
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Klark Teknik EQP-KT On Master

Postby curlybob43 » Sat May 09, 2020 9:11 pm

curlybob43 wrote:
lordmike wrote:
curlybob43 wrote:
lordmike wrote:
curlybob43 wrote:I just posted a similar thread before I saw this, with level drop going from my interface to my 1176-KT. Even though it states in the manual it accepts balanced/unbalanced connections, I never knew an unbalanced cable can cause a signal drop of 6db - next thing to try!

All of my connections are TRS so they should all be balanced.

I was talking about mine, but still concerning you’re having the same issue nevertheless.

I'm sorry, I didn't understand. Have you tried balanced lines?

Not yet, although I'm not sure that'll be the one considering the issues you are having also. Give it a go anyway

So I have just had a mess around and it would appear that it was a mixture of things, I think, for me. Firstly, the balanced cable did help somewhat, may of been more interference than anything. Secondly, I was expecting the meter to react as a VST would (dumb, I know, but it's so easy to get complacent with technology), it is definitely reducing more gain than the meter will show on fast-hitting transients. I kind of like this, going to make me LISTEN more, instead of look as I'm used to with plugins, someone told me that's a good thing once ;). Thirdly, I find that in Ableton Live, routing manually to outputs with sends, rather than using Live's External Audio Device did give me better results, I think this is user preference as I found it easier to match level pre/post effect. I'd probably use it more for reverbs, etc. where gain adjustments are more forgiving.
curlybob43
Regular
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:50 am

Re: Klark Teknik EQP-KT On Master

Postby curlybob43 » Sat May 09, 2020 9:15 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
curlybob43 wrote:I never knew an unbalanced cable can cause a signal drop of 6db - next thing to try!

It depends on the precise nature of the balanced input or output, and not all configurations will suffer a 6dB loss. However, for interfaces that expect to work with non-floating symmetrical signals, connections to or from an unbalanced destination /source result in half the signal voltage being lost, and thus a 6dB reduction in the sent /received signal level.

Every day is a school day - I suppose today's lesson is that the not so sexy 'What are Decibels' & 'Cable & Signal Types' chapters of our music production books shouldn't be so dusty :D . Thanks for your help as always - I love this site!
curlybob43
Regular
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:50 am

Re: Klark Teknik EQP-KT On Master

Postby The Elf » Sat May 09, 2020 9:57 pm

...or as I always say: If you can use a balanced connection ALWAYS use a balanced connection.

Not as technically informative, but a good one to keep in mind! :lol:
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 14265
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Klark Teknik EQP-KT On Master

Postby lordmike » Sun May 10, 2020 2:13 pm

I just ordered some matched EHX tubes, I'll put the Genelx in my Fender.

Putting the Genelex tubes in one of the EQs leveled out their output so I imagine that putting matched sets in will make them behave nearly identically.
lordmike
Poster
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:43 pm

Re: Klark Teknik EQP-KT On Master

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun May 10, 2020 2:29 pm

I would hope so. Nice to know for sure, though.
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 27021
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Klark Teknik EQP-KT On Master

Postby lordmike » Fri May 15, 2020 12:51 pm

Ok, I installed a matched set of EHX tubes and, as expected, the two EQs behave about the same now. Not that this is shocking to anyone, but I would really recommend swapping out the tubes in the KT stuff as soon as you get any of their gear. The tubes I pulled out we not very good looking. The plates on the inside were crooked like somebody couldn't get the guts to fit in the tube so they just mashed them in, and the glass was distorted and bulging. These are really lovely sounding units so it would be shame to judge them on the merits of the trash tubes they come supplied with. I have a pair of KT-2A's coming in June/July and I already have replacement tubes and upgraded optocells on order. If anyone would like to hear those units, please let me know.
lordmike
Poster
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:43 pm

Re: Klark Teknik EQP-KT On Master

Postby curlybob43 » Fri May 15, 2020 6:56 pm

lordmike wrote:Ok, I installed a matched set of EHX tubes and, as expected, the two EQs behave about the same now. Not that this is shocking to anyone, but I would really recommend swapping out the tubes in the KT stuff as soon as you get any of their gear. The tubes I pulled out we not very good looking. The plates on the inside were crooked like somebody couldn't get the guts to fit in the tube so they just mashed them in, and the glass was distorted and bulging. These are really lovely sounding units so it would be shame to judge them on the merits of the trash tubes they come supplied with. I have a pair of KT-2A's coming in June/July and I already have replacement tubes and upgraded optocells on order. If anyone would like to hear those units, please let me know.

Yeah not so surprised to hear that but great you’re having better results. I’d love to change the tubes in my KT-2a but wouldn’t know where to start. Any guidance on changing tubes in a compressor? Are they pretty much plug and play like smaller guitar amps?
curlybob43
Regular
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:50 am

Re: Klark Teknik EQP-KT On Master

Postby lordmike » Fri May 15, 2020 7:15 pm

From my experience with the tube in the EQP it is plug and play, just pop the old ones out and off you go. I know the KT-2A has a power tube in it and those usually have to be biased in guitar amps, but I have no idea if that is even an option in that compressor. I don't imagine that it would make that big of a difference anyway as long as all of the tubes are balanced.
lordmike
Poster
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:43 pm

Re: Klark Teknik EQP-KT On Master

Postby curlybob43 » Sun May 17, 2020 2:10 pm

lordmike wrote:From my experience with the tube in the EQP it is plug and play, just pop the old ones out and off you go. I know the KT-2A has a power tube in it and those usually have to be biased in guitar amps, but I have no idea if that is even an option in that compressor. I don't imagine that it would make that big of a difference anyway as long as all of the tubes are balanced.

In my Vox AC4C1-12 there is only 2 x 12ax7 and the power El84 - which took me some research to figure out does not need biasing, there's no information in the manual about it - thanks VOX!

In terms of the KT-2A, I only took it apart once when I bought it, purely to check build quality more than anything. From the digging I have done, I think the tubes in the audio path are 1 x 12AX7 & 1 x 12BH7A. I'm not schooled in this sort of thing, but I think these tubes can be swapped without the need for biasing (?), would be good to get some better-informed opinions.
curlybob43
Regular
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:50 am

Previous