You are here

Klark Teknik EQP-KT On Master

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Klark Teknik EQP-KT On Master

Postby The Elf » Fri May 08, 2020 12:32 pm

I'd be interested. I'm generally curious to how these sound. The KT 1176 I have is absolutely fine - a bargain, in fact!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby lordmike » Fri May 08, 2020 12:49 pm

The Elf wrote:I'd be interested. I'm generally curious to how these sound. The KT 1176 I have is absolutely fine - a bargain, in fact!

I purchased a KT-1176 as well and I really like with it did to the bass. I've also used it on unprocessed guitar signals before I reamped them and it sounded pretty wonderful as well. I know the KT stuff is cheap but I can't imagine that more is really better for me in my little studio. Plus I'm pretty clever with a soldering iron, I'll be tinkering around inside of these after a while...

Actually, after my very first post, you (The Elf) and everyone else gave me such good advice I decided to get some outboard gear and it adds a lot of the "sparkle" I was looking for. I can't describe it but it just sounds more alive. I went out and purchased the KT-1176, two EQP-KTs, and two KT-2As. The KT-2As will be here sometime in July because things from China are coming in pretty slow right now.

Elf, if you want me to A/B these eqs with the Genelex tubes, please pick the mono file that you want me to process and I'll do it. I figure your ears are better than mine so you'll know what would demo the eqs the best. If you have a file, message me and I'll send you my contact info...
lordmike
Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri May 08, 2020 1:53 pm

Sounds like a plan. I'll PM you.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby lordmike » Fri May 08, 2020 2:56 pm

The Elf wrote:Sounds like a plan. I'll PM you.

I'm excited to try it out. My tubes arrive today!
lordmike
Poster

Postby Ramirez » Fri May 08, 2020 10:40 pm

lordmike wrote:I refuse to really use any physical equipment that doesn't use tubes

Sorry if I’ve missed any tongues in cheeks here, but bear in mind that a lot (most?) desirable studio equipment does not have valves in them, including your (and a real) 1176.

I did have someone look me sincerely in the eye once and say how good the valves sounded in the Neve 1073 they had been using...
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby CS70 » Sat May 09, 2020 12:21 am

Ramirez wrote:I did have someone look me sincerely in the eye once and say how good the valves sounded in the Neve 1073 they had been using...

:bouncy:
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby lordmike » Sat May 09, 2020 1:48 pm

Ramirez wrote:
lordmike wrote:I refuse to really use any physical equipment that doesn't use tubes

Sorry if I’ve missed any tongues in cheeks here, but bear in mind that a lot (most?) desirable studio equipment does not have valves in them, including your (and a real) 1176.

I did have someone look me sincerely in the eye once and say how good the valves sounded in the Neve 1073 they had been using...

Haha, I guess I should have been clearer. I'm a guitarist by actual profession, recording engineer as a hobby. For guitar equipment I prefer tube stuff, for recording I prefer whatever works. But, the irony of me talking about how great tubes are when I work almost entirely in a virtual rack is not lost on me...

Outside of guitar amps, I think most tube stuff is smoke, mirrors, and hype, that is why I'm going to do an a/b stock versus "premium" tube comparison; I'd like to hear it for myself. I feel like companies would tubes in basketball shoes if even one person didn't think that was ridiculous. I had an amp tech once tell me that tubes are only valves and do not impart character to signal any more than a faucet changes the flavor of water... he told me that before he tried to sell me a $70 12AX7 but I suppose his point may be valid despite him being a conman. I just do not know and I hate being duped.

I think having two of the same unit is a great opportunity to settle some tube debates once and for all. I've done a lot of tube rolling in my amp and sometimes I "hear" a difference but I'm never convinced that is isn't some psychosomatic event. Since I've never owned two identical copies of an amp, I've never known for sure. Now that I have two of the same EQs I can finally do an authentic A/B comparison...
lordmike
Poster

Postby lordmike » Sat May 09, 2020 3:25 pm

Ok, I just made my A/B comparisons and I do, in fact, hear differences between stock and premium tubes. I will withhold thoughts until after other people chime in. Below is a link to the google drive the files are kept. It is a clip from a song I'm working on, it is far from finished so don't judge it on those merits please, just the differences between the sounds of the EQs tracks. See if everyone can figure out if A or B has the premium tubes in it

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mfuE6 ... heqIpdiumD
lordmike
Poster

Postby CS70 » Sat May 09, 2020 4:43 pm

Well more expert others can chime in (Dave?) but I think "good" vs "not so good" tubes is a lot about quality and precision of manufacturing, that will reflect on both physical and operational properties, and durability. The former factor in turn may affect sound, depending on how the tube is used.

Back when vacuum tubes were the norm, manufacturers were producing them in great volumes, and that allowed for better quality control, more precise production methods and of course more general expertise in the workforce - and of course the cost of throwing away any piece not up to spec was spread over millions of pieces.. So "good" tubes - all operating within low tolerances - were common. Most tubes marked 12AX7 were more or less behaving as of 12AX7 specs, if you want.

Nowadays, there's little volume production so getting to the same average quality in the shop would probably be much more expensive. It doesn't mean there aren't good tubes, only that you can't know if the ones you've got are that good. Lots of 'em don't do what they say on the tin.

A person with the right tools, expertise and time on his/her hand can take a bunch of recently produced 12AX7 and separate the good from the bad. That's for example the method that the fellows at Mesa claim to use to select the tubes that get branded with their name.

So, coming back to the Pultec clone, it's not surprising that you hear some differences. If a circuit is designed expecting precise tolerance in the operational properties of the tubes, it will perform below its best (or differently) if the tubes are out of tolerance. If you swap a third set of tube the sound may change a little in a different way.

There's also to say that modern circuit designers might even take that into account, and design circuitry that behaves well with much larger tolerances than they would have allowed for back in the times.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat May 09, 2020 5:10 pm

lordmike wrote:Ok, I just made my A/B comparisons and I do, in fact, hear differences between stock and premium tubes.

I don't find this even slightly surprising.

What I would like to know, though, is whether fitting 'premium' -- and specifically *matched* -- tubes in *both* units cures the mismatched gain issues.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby lordmike » Sat May 09, 2020 5:28 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
lordmike wrote:Ok, I just made my A/B comparisons and I do, in fact, hear differences between stock and premium tubes.

I don't find this even slightly surprising.

What I would like to know, though, is whether fitting 'premium' -- and specifically *matched* -- tubes in *both* units cures the mismatched gain issues.

I thought about buying matched sets but I wanted to make sure I liked the "after" sound before I sprung on matched sets.

...and I plan on basing my completely unbiased opinion of these tubes on all of your highly trained ears... :crazy:
lordmike
Poster

Postby curlybob43 » Sat May 09, 2020 6:01 pm

I just posted a similar thread before I saw this, with level drop going from my interface to my 1176-KT. Even though it states in the manual it accepts balanced/unbalanced connections, I never knew an unbalanced cable can cause a signal drop of 6db - next thing to try!
curlybob43
Regular

Postby lordmike » Sat May 09, 2020 6:03 pm

curlybob43 wrote:I just posted a similar thread before I saw this, with level drop going from my interface to my 1176-KT. Even though it states in the manual it accepts balanced/unbalanced connections, I never knew an unbalanced cable can cause a signal drop of 6db - next thing to try!

All of my connections are TRS so they should all be balanced.
lordmike
Poster

Postby curlybob43 » Sat May 09, 2020 6:04 pm

lordmike wrote:
curlybob43 wrote:I just posted a similar thread before I saw this, with level drop going from my interface to my 1176-KT. Even though it states in the manual it accepts balanced/unbalanced connections, I never knew an unbalanced cable can cause a signal drop of 6db - next thing to try!

I was talking about mine, but still concerning you’re having the same issue nevertheless.
curlybob43
Regular

Postby lordmike » Sat May 09, 2020 6:16 pm

curlybob43 wrote:
lordmike wrote:

I was talking about mine, but still concerning you’re having the same issue nevertheless.

I'm sorry, I didn't understand. Have you tried balanced lines?
lordmike
Poster

PreviousNext