You are here

WAV tracks converted to MP3 result in changes to the timing

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

WAV tracks converted to MP3 result in changes to the timing

Postby bward1998 » Sun May 10, 2020 7:03 pm

I am in the process of accumulating tracks produced remotely and submitted to me by band members. I produced a scratch WAV track in Reaper to begin the process and bounced it to MP3 for distribution. The band members returned their input on MP3s. The submissions do not track to the original WAV. They synch to the scratch track. I can probably work with it but not optimal obviously.

I know there is a significant data loss when bouncing from WAV to MP3 but was not aware that it changes timing. Am I doing something wrong or is this common.
bward1998
New here

Re: WAV tracks converted to MP3 result in changes to the timing

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun May 10, 2020 7:45 pm

bward1998 wrote:I know there is a significant data loss when bouncing from WAV to MP3 but was not aware that it changes timing. Am I doing something wrong or is this common.

It doesn't change timing.

I suspect you've fallen foul of a 44.1/48k sample rate cock up. Check that your own conversion didn't unintentionally change the audio sample rate, and then that your band members were all recording their parts at the same sample rate as your master.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Sun May 10, 2020 7:56 pm

Don't transfer collaborative audio as MP3 (or any other 'lossy' format) anyway.

Unless you really are stuggling to move data around use WAV files (24-bit, ideally) to keep your audio as uncompromised as possible. Only convert to MP3 as an end-result.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby bward1998 » Sun May 10, 2020 9:41 pm

Thank you for the suggestion on the rate. Sounds like a possibility.

As to sending out tracks, I need a way of getting the WAV files out to the members. email won’t take it as they are too big. Hence the mp3’s. With my tin ears, I can hear the loss of detail.

How are larger files transmitted when doing remote productions. I am sure it is covered in this forum somewhere. I am new and would appreciate a road map.

thanks again for the response. Much appreciated.
bward1998
New here

Postby desmond » Sun May 10, 2020 10:12 pm

Get a Dropbox, or Google Drive or something, there are plenty of tools like this for sharing and working on files remotely...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby The Elf » Sun May 10, 2020 10:31 pm

bward1998 wrote:As to sending out tracks, I need a way of getting the WAV files out to the members. email won’t take it as they are too big.
As Desmond says, email attachment is not the way to do this. Dropbox is free and simple. There are plenty of options... MediaFire, Mega, OneDrive, Google Drive, iCloud, WeTransfer... lots of others.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Mon May 11, 2020 6:03 am

WeTransfer is very simple to use, even I can do it!

I got rid of both Drop box and One drive* but, on advice from SOS peeps, installed Google Drive.
So far its operation defeats me.

*But still have the icon in Documents. do NOT have an icon for GD.

Just like to add. In Samplitude, when you Export a box comes up with a section where you setup parameters like MP3 quality if .wav, sample rate 16/24 bits. Once set, Sam will always produce to those parameters until you change it.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon May 11, 2020 9:20 am

Dropbox is really the simplest option: right-click file; choose 'Copy Dropbox link'; paste link into email. It doesn't get simpler than that!

But the free Dropbox storage is very limited - 2GB I think nowadays.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Mon May 11, 2020 9:47 am

The Elf wrote:Dropbox is really the simplest option: right-click file; choose 'Copy Dropbox link'; paste link into email. It doesn't get simpler than that!

Google Drive is 15G but that includes emails if you use gmail (I think)
I have just looked at my storage limit and even though I have not used GD yet I find I have 0.57G of photos in there. They are my photos but I have no idea how they got there!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon May 11, 2020 10:38 am

I've used lots of these utilities...

The best one I've come across for both me and the recipients is WeSendIt.

Jus' sayin'...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon May 11, 2020 10:43 am

The Elf wrote:Dropbox is really the simplest option: right-click file; choose 'Copy Dropbox link'; paste link into email. It doesn't get simpler than that!

Yes Dropbox basic is 2 GB. I have built up 8.8 GB on Dropbox free by inviting people to join but they have recently introduced another limitation by only allowing three active devices per free account. The cheapest paid for Dropbox is DB Plus which costs over £100 a year subscription. I does supply a very generous 2 TB but that is considerably more than I need for the foreseeable future.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Mon May 11, 2020 10:54 am

Yes, I also upped my Dropbox storage to something approaching 12GB with referrals.

The three device limit is a pain, but I've noticed that it only limits my mobile devices? I can only install on one laptop, iPad and iPhone (it blocks my backup laptop), but I also have it installed on two desktop machines?

TBH these days I just use my own NAS, but that's an investment most people wouldn't consider.

Dropbox have to make their money somehow, so I don't begrudge them, and they really do provide the simplest to use cloud storage service I've used (until my NAS). But none of us like to spend money we don't have to.

I'd still advocate Dropbox for most people. It's so simple I've managed to introduce even the most tech-phobic family and friends to it - who then cling to it like a favourite teddy bear!

When the requirements get more sophisticated there are other options.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Mon May 11, 2020 11:19 am

Dropbox *used to be* awesome, but it's got less awesome in the past couple of years as they add enterprise features and complexity, do more sneaky low level things and try hard to generate more revenue per user.

I just wish there was a tier between 2GB and 2TB. I'd pay a few quid a month for 20GB, say...
(I had 50GB for a while as a free promotion when I bought a craptastic Android phone, but it only lasted a year or so, but was nice while it lasted - not that I made that much use of it, as I knew it was only temporary.)

For me, I've stopped using the Dropbox client (which is a bit too invasive now for me) and instead SFTP to my Dropbox space(s).

Google Drive is nicer at 15GB but unlike Dropbox it doesn't preserve various Mac file attributes, which is annoying.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Mon May 11, 2020 11:57 am

It's good how these threads lead to things innit?

I had a look ten ago at Task Manager to see if DropBox was still lurking, it isn't (One Drive even though I have uninstalled it is, but GB isn't?) I found something called "Relevant Knowledge" and discovered it is a bit of crap adware.

I have now uninstalled that but then realized I had never put Malwarebytes on this W10 laptop from Nov 19. So, did that and it found 80 things to get shot of!

I wonder if I shall now be free of Verison ads? Doubt it.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Mon May 11, 2020 12:00 pm

ef37a wrote:I wonder if I shall now be free of Verison ads? Doubt it.

Is using PC's *still* like this, in 2020..?

Goodness knows how you guys stay sane... :headbang:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Next