You are here

WAV tracks converted to MP3 result in changes to the timing

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: WAV tracks converted to MP3 result in changes to the timing

Postby ef37a » Mon May 11, 2020 12:06 pm

desmond wrote:
ef37a wrote:I wonder if I shall now be free of Verison ads? Doubt it.

Is using PC's *still* like this, in 2020..?

Goodness knows how you guys stay sane... :headbang:

You are making a HUGE assumption there Dez!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Mon May 11, 2020 12:09 pm

:lol:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby CS70 » Mon May 11, 2020 12:14 pm

I happily pay some 11EUR/month to Dropbox for their 2T service and imho is good value for money. That's a couple cappuccinos with croissant here. I don't use their web interface other than for direct downloads, and the desktop and mobile app do exactly what they say on the tin. More and more I'm placing entire sessions in DropBox so that recording on location becomes a breeze.

And a very important factor is that my drummer got used to it. :)

Dave, what is that escapes you? You can obviously tackle much more complex things with ease, so happy to help if you like.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon May 11, 2020 12:29 pm

Dropbox was fine years ago and then it changed and I added a second account for music projects which really messed things up. I really dislike it now. I tried Mega for a bit.
Lately I’ve been fortunate to work with people who have their own FTP sites.
I’m still searching for something better than Dropbox.

Desmond - what are you using these days?
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Mon May 11, 2020 12:32 pm

"Dave, what is that escapes you? You can obviously tackle much more complex things with ease, so happy to help if you like."

It is not Dbox I am banjaxed by CS70. I did have and use that a bit about a year ago but found it was crawling all over my HP W7 laptop and using a fair amount of resources. Maybe it was harmless and the system could take it but I just don't like stuff doing 'stuff' when I have not asked it to! Smacks of possible infection to me?

No, tis Google Drive I am presently bemused by. The installation was far more complex than i had expected with 'doc and 'slides' and **** I, in my simple way expected something where I did a right click, 'Send To' and something sort of labelled GB TO send it to and proceed from there.
WeTransfer is just such a system, just needs home and client email addy and stick the file in and Bob's yer whatsit.

But! I am very discombbobulated at the moment. Wife is poorly and fretting a bit because she has to go to hospital Wed for a procedure. Life is of course a bit more stressful than usual anyway.
I am sure if/when I sit down and work through it I shall sort it but...
1) It could be easier IMHO and 2) Not sure what I want it for!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon May 11, 2020 12:59 pm

ef37a wrote:No, tis Google Drive I am presently bemused by. The installation was far more complex than i had expected with 'doc and 'slides' and **** I, in my simple way expected something where I did a right click, 'Send To' and something sort of labelled GB TO send it to and proceed from there.

I wonder if you've ended up installing far more than you need? I just have a single Google Drive folder and I just put anything I want to share in there. It will then automatically upload the files to Google Drive. Once it has uploaded (and waiting for it to upload is important) you can right click, go to the Google Drive section in the pop up menu and then go to Share... to share it with whoever you want.

Most of the time I just get a shareable link as the people that I share to will often want to share with other members of the band or with the pressing plant. Giving them a shareable link means they can share it with anyone without needing me to add a new recipient.

I like Google Drive because it comes at a sensible price for a sensible amount of space. I don't need the 2TB that Dropbox offers on its cheapest plan so 100GB for £16 per year works fine for me.

As far as OneDrive is concerned, it seems to be built in to Windows so I just ignore it.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby The Elf » Mon May 11, 2020 1:19 pm

desmond wrote:

I don't have any of that nonsense. It's not a comes-with-a-PC thing. It often affects those who don't read what they're clicking during an installation! And I've see the same on Macs. :shh:

I use both, BTW...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ef37a » Mon May 11, 2020 2:36 pm

The Elf wrote:
desmond wrote:

I don't have any of that nonsense. It's not a comes-with-a-PC thing. It often affects those who don't read what they're clicking during an installation! And I've see the same on Macs. :shh:

I use both, BTW...

How very dare you sir! Heh! Yes Elf, I did not have the bother when I first got the laptop with W10 Pro installed seven months ago. I am very careful about downloads and installs, usually find what I need on ninite so I would love to know how I caught this.

I actually don't mind popups and ads IF they play fair but this thing obscures half the screen and how can they make a program that cannot be deleted? Sometimes the ads go into the spam folder but you still can't delete the *****g things.

I did try an ad blocker but was quickly told this 'impoverished' SOS so I stopped it.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Kwackman » Mon May 11, 2020 3:51 pm

ef37a wrote:I did try an ad blocker but was quickly told this 'impoverished' SOS so I stopped it..

Safari let's you choose which sites its built-in adblocker/pop-up software will ignore.
Maybe your ad blocker would allow some sites and block others.
I think (but don't quote me) it's called "whitewashing" sites?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby desmond » Mon May 11, 2020 4:01 pm

"Whitelisting", although I was hearing this week that apparently the language is no longer appropriate (whitelisting, blacklisting) as it implies black=bad, white=good, so the official terms from internet/networking bodies are being changed to "Allow lists" and "Disallow lists"...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Kwackman » Mon May 11, 2020 4:12 pm

desmond wrote:"Whitelisting", although I was hearing this week that apparently the language is no longer appropriate (whitelisting, blacklisting) as it implies black=bad, white=good, so the official terms from internet/networking bodies are being changed to "Allow lists" and "Disallow lists"...

I got a double fault!
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby ef37a » Tue May 12, 2020 8:59 am

Kwackman wrote:
ef37a wrote:I did try an ad blocker but was quickly told this 'impoverished' SOS so I stopped it..

Safari let's you choose which sites its built-in adblocker/pop-up software will ignore.

ANOTHER browser? Yea Gods no! I am only just coming to terms with the foibles of Firefox having been years with IE.
I have learned to live with the ads and interruptions, it just rankles that they are allowed to do something SO intrusive? Would LOVE to stop Linkedin as well but at least that activity has dropped off of late.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Kwackman » Tue May 12, 2020 9:03 am

ef37a wrote:
Kwackman wrote:

ANOTHER browser? Yea Gods no.

I didn't suggest you change your browser.
I suggested you check whatever you are currently using to see if there are similar options to Safari.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby CS70 » Tue May 12, 2020 12:52 pm

ef37a wrote:"Dave, what is that escapes you? You can obviously tackle much more complex things with ease, so happy to help if you like."

It is not Dbox I am banjaxed by CS70. I did have and use that a bit about a year ago but found it was crawling all over my HP W7 laptop and using a fair amount of resources. Maybe it was harmless and the system could take it but I just don't like stuff doing 'stuff' when I have not asked it to! Smacks of possible infection to me?

That is odd. You might have inadvertently set it up to collect your photos, and of course during the first few hours, when it's uploading all you want it to upload, it will take some resources. But you can throttle it, and when I don't want any, I simply exit it, knowing that the first moment I restart it it will resume without any fuzz. And then just stay there without doing anything.

It's like moving house - a pain in the ass the first day, but when you're done you're happy you did.

Google Drive should works the same way. I've used it a little but without installing the local "backup" application - which I too found much less intuitive than Dropbox (but then it was a few months ago).

As an aside, as much the fellas at Google are innovative and inventive, I feel they have a tendency to over-engineer things a bit in their "consumer" products so I generally stay away from these. Which is funny thinking that of the single-text-bar immediacy or their original and still most important application. :D

No, tis Google Drive I am presently bemused by. The installation was far more complex than i had expected with 'doc and 'slides' and **** I, in my simple way expected something where I did a right click, 'Send To' and something sort of labelled GB TO send it to and proceed from there.
WeTransfer is just such a system, just needs home and client email addy and stick the file in and Bob's yer whatsit.

Sure, but it's a different type of service. Sharing a project back and forth while developing it is soon unfeasible with WeTransfer. It does another thing.

But then maybe you simply don't need shared folders across multiple devices. :D

But! I am very discombbobulated at the moment. Wife is poorly and fretting a bit because she has to go to hospital Wed for a procedure. Life is of course a bit more stressful than usual anyway.
I am sure if/when I sit down and work through it I shall sort it but...
1) It could be easier IMHO and 2) Not sure what I want it for!

Dave.

I am very sorry to hear and extend a virtual hug. And all the best to the lady!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue May 12, 2020 6:30 pm

Wait - so - hmm before I put my foot in my unhip, not up to date mouth -
Is it still Black Friday (the one that goes on for at least a week?

:)
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

PreviousNext