You are here

WAV tracks converted to MP3 result in changes to the timing

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: WAV tracks converted to MP3 result in changes to the timing

Postby forumuser840717 » Tue May 12, 2020 8:19 pm

desmond wrote:
ef37a wrote:I wonder if I shall now be free of Verison ads? Doubt it.

Is using PC's *still* like this, in 2020..?

Goodness knows how you guys stay sane... :headbang:

By avoiding anything to do with sodding Apple products, sticking with Proper Computers and setting them up properly then avoiding letting third parties (and OS/software developers) bugger them up.

It's worked for me since 1983

That said, several years ago I succumbed to buying two second hand (2008) 15" MacBook Pros for the sole reason of running a piece of software that didn't exist in a PC version. Apart from a battery replacement on one and fan replacements on both they've functioned perfectly in their single role as MADI backup recorders via RME interfaces and Boom Recorder Pro. And with the price I paid for the used laptops and interfaces being less than a third of the price of any hardware MADI recorder at the time I have no complaints whatsoever. But having got them working they go nowhere near t'internet since the one time someone borrowed one and put it online it tried to do an OS update and things went very odd! I prefer to keep them happily frozen in time and working. They have one function and they carry it out just fine.
forumuser840717
Regular

Postby Terrible.dee » Tue May 12, 2020 10:48 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:I've used lots of these utilities...

The best one I've come across for both me and the recipients is WeSendIt.

Jus' sayin'...

I used to send massive amounts of files around and I believe this one was the best.

Dropbox is way too intrusive, Google drive is the same, always looking to get their hooks into you a little more...Pretty sure Wesendit is straight up.
Terrible.dee
Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed May 13, 2020 9:02 am

Terrible.dee wrote:

Jus' sayin'...

I used to send massive amounts of files around and I believe this one was the best.

Dropbox is way too intrusive, Google drive is the same, always looking to get their hooks into you a little more...Pretty sure Wesendit is straight up.

Yup! Just does its job without fuss. Say who wants the files, attach the files, click send. That's it. AFAICT there is no nefarious behind the scenes harvesting in play... certainly I've never received any form of marketing email that can be traced back to them directly or indirectly.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby jimjazzdad » Thu May 14, 2020 11:40 am

Mike Stranks wrote:
Terrible.dee wrote:

Jus' sayin'...

Yup! Just does its job without fuss. Say who wants the files, attach the files, click send. That's it. AFAICT there is no nefarious behind the scenes harvesting in play... certainly I've never received any form of marketing email that can be traced back to them directly or indirectly.
I use wetransfer.com and it seems to tick all the same boxes. I tend to use transfer services that automatically expire at a certain point when I just want to send files; when 'sharing' files with a group, some of whom may not be inclined to download the files right away, service with some 'cloud storage', like Dropbox, work better.
jimjazzdad
Regular
Halifax, NS, CANADA

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu May 14, 2020 12:31 pm

I used to use wetransfer all the time...

It may have changed now, but I gave up on it because of the limited total files I could send in one go... and some of my recipients got in a terrible tangle with downloading...

That hasn't happened - so far - with wesendit.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby DC-Choppah » Fri May 15, 2020 6:23 pm

Something I have realized recently, is that if you use Google drive, or Microsoft One drive for cloud service, then what you have are open ports in your system that stay established.

To see those open ports, open a command prompt (elevated) and type

netstat -ano -p tcp

You will see all of the things connected to your computer with open and established ports along with the foreign IP address and process ids that opened the port.

Lookup the foreign IP address using the website ipinfo.io

You can kill the process ids for connections you don't want.
taskkill /F /PID pid_number

Then make sure that application does not start automatically.

This just seems like basic privacy. You don't want an open and established connection for things you don't actually want to use all the time.

And we just want to share music files sometime. We don't need established connections open all the time.

Better to use a service that only has an open port when you are using it. No need to keep it open all the time.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby MOF » Fri May 15, 2020 7:43 pm

We don't need established connections open all the time.

I read that it’s a good idea to switch your router off and on again fairly regularly to prevent someone managing to get past your firewall.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Fri May 15, 2020 8:01 pm

Not too regularly though, as if the exchange sees too many disconnects in a certain period it assumes the line quality isn't up to scratch and lowers the sync speed. No more than once a day, I think.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby DC-Choppah » Fri May 15, 2020 8:44 pm

MOF wrote:
We don't need established connections open all the time.

I read that it’s a good idea to switch your router off and on again fairly regularly to prevent someone managing to get past your firewall.

Resetting the router won't disconnect the ports, since the software running on the computer (OneDrive, etc.) is configured to make those connections and keep the ports open. They have already been configured to get through your firewall. They will re-establish as soon as the network is open because they are configured to establish a connection as soon is it is available. So this has nothing to do with the router.

What you want is to check how your computer is configured to do this automatically - without your knowledge. Don't let the processes start that do this.

Go through the process I outlined and you will be surprised how many things that you are connected to without your knowledge.

Turn off or close everything you think you have that connects to the internet. Then run netstat and see what is still connected, and kill it. Who knows what you will find.

If you don't know what the reason is why you are connected to a foreign IP address, then disconnect it.

I am just saying that there is no reason to keep things connected that you don't actually use. It uses bandwidth, and invades your privacy. Many of these are just left overs and tie up your network. But you have a right to know what you are connected to and why.

While you have probably consented to many things without realizing it, at least you can go back and disconnect everything that you now know you don't want.

These build up over time. You don't realize that social media sites open ports and then keep them open. You consented without realizing it.

Getting access to the data associated with an individual is very big business.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby MOF » Tue May 19, 2020 12:35 am

Resetting the router won't disconnect the ports, since the software running on the computer (OneDrive, etc.) is configured to make those connections and keep the ports open. They have already been configured to get through your firewall. They will re-establish as soon as the network is open because they are configured to establish a connection as soon is it is available. So this has nothing to do with the router.

I can't remember where I read about this, but it was suggesting that switching off the router forced any hackers to start over in their endeavours to bypass the firewall.
The established connections you mention, presumably they are OK if they are from trusted sources?
On a related subject I have changed to Catalina OS and Apple now insists on the 'Dictation' function going via their servers and UAD's Luna won't work without a wifi connection, despite being secured with iLok. I don't like this insistence on wifi connection, there are some places I go on holiday e.g. parts of The Lake District that have very poor or no wifi or phone signal.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue May 19, 2020 12:03 pm

The dictation on my iPhone SE iOS 12 stopped and wouldn’t work without WiFi. It used to work without WiFi. I spent a lot of time researching and trying different fixes which was a waste of time.
A day later dictation started working again without WiFi. Still scratching my head.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous