You are here

ROGERS LS 5/8 - very bad at reproducing complex choir recordings ?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

ROGERS LS 5/8 - very bad at reproducing complex choir recordings ?

Postby CeruttiA » Sat May 16, 2020 1:19 pm

Hello,

just wondering if it is the recording or a problem with amps or speakers :

The opening of Bach B Minor mass (Harmonia Mundi, Herreweghe cond) completely overpowers them - is it a problem with the recording or speakers or both ? The pieces featuring several singers is ok, but when choir sets in the voices become blurred, as if you are listening it on a 20 UKP flea market speakers

As a contrast the choir recordings by ECM label are beautifully rendered

Please give me your views !

Thanks you

Alexander
CeruttiA
Poster
Paris, France
- passionate by sound. Equipment: Rogers LS 5/8 / Audio Research SP11

Re: ROGERS LS 5/8 - very bad at reproducing complex choir recordings ?

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Sat May 16, 2020 2:02 pm

Is it the 1989 release with Orchestra of Collegium Vocale? That sounds perfectly lovely here.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby CeruttiA » Sat May 16, 2020 3:55 pm

Tomás Mulcahy wrote:Is it the 1989 release with Orchestra of Collegium Vocale? That sounds perfectly lovely here.

yes it is ! With Andreas Scholl etc. , esp the first tracks with the full choir is very inaudible at mid volume - perhaps I must revise the Quads ? or perhaps it is too much pressure for the tweeters , they are not exactly BBC quality ;- )
CeruttiA
Poster
Paris, France

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Sat May 16, 2020 4:27 pm

CeruttiA wrote: they are not exactly BBC quality
What do you mean? You know they are a BBC design right?
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat May 16, 2020 4:29 pm

Complex choral/orchestral recordings are a significant challenge, both to capture and reproduce. I'm afraid I don't have either of your versions here (I only have a Tavener Consort/ Parrott version to hand) so I can't comment on their relative merits... yet... but I have ordered the version you cite so I can assess for myself.

But with the best will in the world, the LS5/8A, superbly good though it was when designed 50 years ago, had its limitations and is nothing like state of the art these days!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby CeruttiA » Sat May 16, 2020 4:58 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Complex choral/orchestral recordings are a significant challenge, both to capture and reproduce. I'm afraid I don't have either of your versions here (I only have a Tavener Consort/ Parrott version to hand) so I can't comment on their relative merits... yet... but I have ordered the version you cite so I can assess for myself.

But with the best will in the world, the LS5/8A, superbly good though it was when designed 50 years ago, had its limitations and is nothing like state of the art these days!

Thanks very much, Hugh ! Yes , it is the 1999 version with Philippe Herrenweghe - he is a rather superb choir conductor, as I said it is just odd how they start to 'choke' when the full choir is on. If you put the legendary ECM sound recordings (take for example any recording of Arvo Part) the Rogers do not have a problem with it, the sound remains clear, crisp and distinct.
CeruttiA
Poster
Paris, France

Postby Tim Gillett » Sun May 17, 2020 4:31 am

Different performances/recordings of the same work wont necessarily sound great played back on the one system. For example very dynamic performances/recordings can test the limits of speakers and amp, perhaps driving them into distortion on fff parts. Whereas a recording with more controlled dynamics might sound fine from beginning to end.

It also depends on the room in which we're listening. A very large room requires much more power than a small one especially if the former is well damped with carpets, heavy curtains, soft furnishings etc.

I have some old KEF Corelli speakers which I use regularly at quite close range. Well before the speakers overload, my ears overload, so the speakers are never pushed beyond their comfort zone.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Sun May 17, 2020 7:52 am

Sounds like something is very wrong here, if you told me you had the "LS3/5a" you’d be describing perfectly a disadvantage with that particular design, it can sound very congested when things get complicated and loud. But the LS5/8 no, it should be more than fine, OK, it’s not up to today’s standards, but, if it sounds as bad as you’re describing it something’s wrong.
Also, Avo Part isn’t a good yardstick either, his music isn’t so dense, or as demanding as the Bach.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Sun May 17, 2020 7:24 pm

Arpangel wrote:Sounds like something is very wrong here
Agreed!
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon May 18, 2020 7:00 am

Tomás Mulcahy wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Sounds like something is very wrong here
Agreed!

I agree that you agree! :)
I think the OP needs to get these checked out. Sounds like a driver issue to me.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon May 18, 2020 10:34 am

Alexander's second post did imply that the tweeters are replacements of dubious quality.

But the basic fact remains that these are very large two-way speakers, and it's asking a lot of any 12-inch bass driver to handle complex midrange detail everything up to around 2kHz, while the (original 34mm) Audax tweeter reproduces everything above that.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Mon May 18, 2020 10:58 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Alexander's second post did imply that the tweeters are replacements of dubious quality.

But the basic fact remains that these are very large two-way speakers, and it's asking a lot of any 12-inch bass driver to handle complex midrange detail everything up to around 2kHz, while the (original 34mm) Audax tweeter reproduces everything above that.

That’s the problem with a lot of older speakers, getting good original drivers.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)