You are here

Do you ever get "embarrassed" by former mixes, songs, works?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Do you ever get "embarrassed" by former mixes, songs, works?

Postby blinddrew » Tue May 19, 2020 10:14 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:As a random observation I'm far more embarrassed about my slightly* generous midriff than I am about anything I ever did musically.
I've always been carrying a bit too much weight around the middle, even when I was running marathons or getting serious cycling and rugby in - just a reflection of my terrible diet I think. :)
The trigger for me is when I shave the beard off and see a double chin.
This happened last week. :(
What with C-19 scuppering rugby and football, and actually (probably) having the damn thing myself I've not taken any exercise at all for about 10 weeks, and I wasn't particularly fit before then. So I tried to go for a run on sunday and had to stop and walk twice in a 5k loop. I haven't been this unfit since I lived in Amsterdam 20 years ago!
So plodding round on sunday was pretty embarassing too.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Zukan » Tue May 19, 2020 10:21 am

I miss my old tracks. Sadly, most of them were either on cassette or DAT and after the fire we had at our gaff I lost all of them. So, I can't really comment if I cringe at old mixes or compositions but if I had to force myself to offer an opinion I don't think I have ever been embarrassed by anything I have done musically. Women yes, music no.
Zukan

Postby John Willett » Tue May 19, 2020 2:38 pm

Kev Tav wrote:As I travel through the most cherished journey of my life (music), I find that I improve constantly. It's a trip what I know now compared to just 2 years ago. I've submitted work and mixes for various things and sometimes I look back and "cringe" at some mixes, arrangements, compositions. I wish I could take some of them back. I try not to dwell on it but it's embarrassing to know that sh*t is out in the ether.

Anyone else get that? Like this regret for former songs?

I have never been embarrased about any of my earlier stuff - but, from the start, I invested in the best I could afford and learned from every recording.

So, although I always think "I could have done better" and strive to be better every time - I am not embarrased by even my earliest recordings made almost 50 years ago.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue May 19, 2020 4:21 pm

I haven't really got much in the way of early stuff (certainly nowt that got much past the demo/open mic stage) but my drummer mate suggested for our next online recording project we should do a song I wrote many years ago* and dedicate it to the memory of our bass player of the day who, sadly, was driven to suicide by a partner (he did have underlying mental health issues bit she really was bad news).

So I've dug out the lyrics and a live recording of us performing it and........ It's actually not that bad :bouncy:

I've started recording it and when it's finished, sloppy playing and timing notwithstanding, I might even let somebody hear it.........
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Tue May 19, 2020 11:19 pm

Ssshh, somebody might hear you...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Tim Gillett » Tue May 19, 2020 11:41 pm

Maybe we shouldn't be embarrassed. When I was young I had no audio teachers, didn't know any better and my equipment was poor even by the standards of the day. Context is important. "From those given much, much will be expected".
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed May 20, 2020 1:54 am

This resonates, even now as I am old enough to have a good idea of the so many things I don’t know that a “good” composer should, the gear that a “good” mixer should have but don’t have.
Still I follow this musical path, which is still a source of wonder and deep satisfaction, even the things I think are crap there is always a germ of something cool in it to me.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Wed May 20, 2020 7:54 am

Most of the time, no.
A lot of the music I make is difficult to judge in this respect, as it’s very abstract, with nothing to compare it with. I listen to what I thought was a good "mix" at the time, and a sound will stick out, unpleasantly, and I may have a go back and sort that out, but often, it’s not "bad" as such, it’s just different. That’s why I always destroy my multitrack projects, as remixes could go on forever.
I was really shocked a couple of days ago though, it’s amazing how that electricity pylon in the foreground of you’re amazing sunset isn’t noticed at the time of conception sometimes!
:D
I’d even got as far as burning a finished CD of my last album, and I was giving it a once over, when all of a sudden this synth jumped out at me playing a really ham fisted melody that was way too loud and covered in unwanted distortion! What! :shocked:
I had to go back and edit that out, but honestly, how did I fail to notice that up until now?

:?
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed May 20, 2020 6:06 pm

Things like that have always fascinated me - are we too focused on everything but that thing right in front of our face?
And then someone will have a quick listen and say - Is that synth supposed to be louder than than the vocals? And after 100 or more listens during the mixing you can’t believe what was missed.
Do we reach a point where objectivity is gone and we impose the mix in our brains ear on the reality?
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Thu May 21, 2020 6:14 am

ManFromGlass wrote:Things like that have always fascinated me - are we too focused on everything but that thing right in front of our face?
And then someone will have a quick listen and say - Is that synth supposed to be louder than than the vocals? And after 100 or more listens during the mixing you can’t believe what was missed.
Do we reach a point where objectivity is gone and we impose the mix in our brains ear on the reality?

I think you’re right in the first place, we are so focused on some detail somewhere that we loose sight of the big picture!
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ore_terra » Thu May 21, 2020 7:56 am

Yeah, that’s frustrating indeed. I normally address that one in the day after listen, and in parallel I send most mixes to two mates.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby garrettendi » Thu May 21, 2020 7:59 am

I have that issue. I recently used an EQ to boost the low end shelf of a guitar amp sim. Sounded great.

A day or two later I realised it sounded like a thick duvet over the cab
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Arpangel » Thu May 21, 2020 9:08 am

garrettendi wrote:I have that issue. I recently used an EQ to boost the low end shelf of a guitar amp sim. Sounded great.

A day or two later I realised it sounded like a thick duvet over the cab

Yes, I have to be extremely careful sometimes, EQ is an example, I’m a big believer in being cautious, it’s an old school way of thinking, but I now apply that to most things, I occasionally "ladle" things on, but it’s getting rarer, some producer once said "if I can here an effect, I don’t want it" and this can be an issue, the more effects you put on your ears get used to them, and the tendency is to keep adding more, it’s only when you listen back later you realise it’s way to much.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Folderol » Thu May 21, 2020 1:43 pm

I make it a habit to listen again to a composition about a week after I composed it - it often results in a bit more tweaking (or un-tweaking even). Fortunately I don't have any targets to meet.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby manwilde » Tue May 26, 2020 7:29 pm

Hello!. I always get embarrassed with my mixes, even when a few of them are not bad. Not so much with my songs, although I find that I do much better work on mixing someone else´s than my own... I guess it´s easier to see what works best sonically (or regarding the arrangement) when you´re not also the singer, the only player and the coffee guy...
manwilde
Poster

Previous