You are here

glitches in bounce track - 16 bit WAV question

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

glitches in bounce track - 16 bit WAV question

Postby Lewis20 » Sat May 16, 2020 8:29 pm

Hello,

This is my first post on the forum. I've recently taken some band recordings off a Boss 1600 recorder to remix in Waveform 11. The tracks were imported to Waveform as 16 bit WAV files, and I'm now happy with the mix I've done in Waveform. However, when I export the files (44.1khz 16 bit) in stereo, I notice occasional glitches, but only in the first 10 seconds or so of the tracks. After trying lots off different things (disabling plugins, different computers etc) there seems to be two things that fix the problem - adding a gap at the beginning, or exporting at 48khz.

Does anyone have anyone suggestions as to why these glitches are occurring, and perhaps what I should have done differently? I'm really just getting started with recording on computers having previously done my recordings on multitrack recorders... I had presumed it was best to keep the sample rate and bit rate consistent throughout the editing process.

Many thanks in advance

Lewis
Lewis20

Re: glitches in bounce track - 16 bit WAV question

Postby innerchord » Sat May 16, 2020 9:30 pm

Hi Lewis,
It could be a bug in Waveform (which I don't know), or a computer or interface issue. What hardware are you using?
Also, if you can work at 24-bit in Waveform, you should.
innerchord
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat May 16, 2020 10:20 pm

I'm not sure at this point either but when you say 'glitches' do you mean clipping/distortion, loss in sound, crackles or something else?

If you are combining them in Waveform 11, then one possibility is that you're overloading something in the signal chain but without hearing it it's difficult to say. Are you using any plugins in Waveform or simply mixing the audio together?

It might help others to make suggestions if you were able to post a link to a short clip of the glitched audio (a few seconds should be more than enough).
Eddy Deegan
Jedi Poster
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Lewis20 » Sun May 17, 2020 1:16 pm

I've tried the same thing on two computers, and I get the same result (both Macs). What hardware information would help?

I've uploaded the recording here https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FgWKO ... SOj3wOkYju (just the raw signal imported and then exported from Waveform - no plugins etc). The 16 bit 44.1khz is bad, and the higher sample rate clips seem to be ok. There's also a clip of the 16 bit 44.1khz where I left a gap of a few seconds at the start, and that seems better (the gap has then been auto-removed during the export). It's not the loudest part of the arrangement, so I can't imagine it's a clipping input issue (especially as it only seems to happen at the start).

Any ideas from these samples?

Thanks
Lewis20

Postby James Perrett » Sun May 17, 2020 2:30 pm

This sounds like a clocking problem to me but I'm not sure how it occurred. Are the original files at 48kHz? If so, it could be something to do with the sample rate conversion - do you have it set to the best quality? I'm not familiar with Waveform but as it comes from the same people who create Tracktion I would assume that they know what they are doing.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Lewis20 » Sun May 17, 2020 3:11 pm

That makes sense James - it almost sounds like something is struggling to line up at the start. The original clip from the Boss 1600 is 44.1khz 16 bit (I've confirmed this by checking the source file info in Waveform). Increasing the sample rate when I export from Waveform to 48khz, and possibly the bit size to 24 or 32, seems to solve the problem. I would like to try identify why it doesn't work exporting from Waveform at 16 bit 44.1khz, because as far as I can tell there shouldn't be a problem doing this. I have to say, aside from this issue, Waveform's been a great programme to use thus far.
Lewis20

Postby Rich Hanson » Sun May 17, 2020 7:02 pm

I can't help with the specific problem, but in case you're not aware, Tracktion (the old name for Waveform) has an active forum over at https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=22 so it's worth asking there.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster